What do you like or dislike about your CL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool What do you like or dislike about your CL?

I know that this is such a broad question, but I am interested in your opinion.

I had the 2nd gen CL 2001. I got rid of it because of the tranny.

Like:
Power
Interior Styling
Navi
Seat Styling
Exterior Styling

Dislike (Other than my tranny problems)
Weight - too heavy, maybe I do not need sunroof, do you like sunroof?
All season tires
Lack of aftermarket support as compared to other OEM models (I hd comptech header, AEM intake, volk GTC wheels, VIS CF hood, body kit)

I kind of miss the old Integra. Tell me what you think?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Cruisin'

i think you should of kept it bro. i have an 03 TL 3.2 type-S and i love it yah i had a tranny problem too but after i got a new oneit runs great and yea like the sunroof
Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 AM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really sure what your asking?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 RSX

Like: Handling, fuel economy, low maintanence cost, interior (seats and materials)

Dislikes: Lack of POWER, ride quality is harsh
Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Had a 93 civic hatch. Only thing didn't like was the insurance rates..
Old 07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
coupes are just way better looking
Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Hawt hatchs FTW

Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
just got rid of our 2002 tl-s just for the plain fact that we didnt know when the trans was going to self destruct (we were at 130k). get out fast man, those trannies are expensive (thats what she said)
Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
This should've been a more broad question, i.e. what do you dislike or like about coupes in general as opposed to sedans or any other body style car?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Intermediate

yeah, i do miss all the amenities of the car. i still admire them when i see one. the cars on this forum are definately sweet!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allen-
Not really sure what your asking?
Well, I wanted to know what you liked or disliked about your Acura CL. Of course there is more to like than not or we all would have never bought the car, but there is always areas that could be better.

I guess in response to you and Aman1, Aman1 is right, I could have asked a more broad question. coupe vs. sedan vs. hatch?

I like coupes better primarily for styling and sport luxury performance.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Since this was intended as a CL specific question, moving to the CL forum and editing the title.

If you change your mind and want it to be a broad topic, PM me and I can move it back to Car Talk.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Well if you want me to list what most ppl would consider negaitives it would be, car is fwd, too heavy, too front heavy, aftermarket support, auto tranny(even tho with my manual i need to replace clutch at 100k miles which will cost me 1230 plus labor so not like my manual trannies are free). Other thing is it is a 2 door with 4 seats which just doesnt make sense in America where most ppl are really fat and cant even get in the back. Acura not making a coupe is smart from a marketing stand point. Stick with 4 door luxury cars and suvs and its a sure bet for success. Just look how many 4 door tl's and mdx's are on the roads.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Like:
The sound of the car when it's modified and it's ripping threw v-tec.

Dislike:
My car so bad when it's raining.
Everytime I open the door the whole pannel gets soaked.
Including switches,and if the door is open for anymore than a couple seconds water will start to puddle up in the handle.
And I also can not stand how it discolors the vynal till it dries.
I think this is the biggest reason that the arm rest pulls away from the door and the master switch area.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
dislikes
sunroof
leather
no room between door & side seat for seat position adjustments.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Dislikes:

-FWD
-No folding back seat
-No traction control for 6-speeds
-Crappy stereo

-Power and speed
-Perfect interior with any option you would want
-Handling
-Smooth shifting 6-speed
-Very responsive motor
-Exterior looks
-Sound
-Back seats
-Heated seats
-Memory seat
Old 07-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Dislike: FWD
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM

^ Yea, not being able to fish tail all the way up a street does suck.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by richardparker
^ Yea, not being able to fish tail all the way up a street does suck.
Not being able to properly put down any power you make sucks most.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWeez
Dislike: FWD
Huge

i do like that's it rare and you don't see hundreds of them everyday
Old 07-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
The only thing I can say I don't like about the CL (as of right now..) is the turning. Like when I'm trying to maneuver into a parking space, and room is very tight, I end up having to back out, back in a little, back out a little, etc. until I can get smoothly into the space. Turning is just a bit stiff in parking lots and tight spaces. So I guess the turning circle? Like it won't seem to turn as much as I would want it to, when I have the wheel turned all the way.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:05 PM
I Wanna Beer

Originally Posted by Rapture
The only thing I can say I don't like about the CL (as of right now..) is the turning. Like when I'm trying to maneuver into a parking space, and room is very tight, I end up having to back out, back in a little, back out a little, etc. until I can get smoothly into the space. Turning is just a bit stiff in parking lots and tight spaces. So I guess the turning circle? Like it won't seem to turn as much as I would want it to, when I have the wheel turned all the way.
Think that's user error. Maybe not knowing where your back end really ends. I have no issues paralleling into even very small spaces with little clearance. Turning circle is fairly tight even with wider tires on.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM

I know what raptures talking about.
Where my wife works the parking lot very tight.
in between the cars on the left and right parking it might be 20 feet.
So when pulling in I have to get close to the cars on my left to make it into the parking on the right or vice versa.
And it can make it difficult sometimes if other cars are manuvering as well.
It seams like I always risking someone driving or backing into my car pulling in there.
But,that is the only place I have a concern.Any other lot is a brezze.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
Dislikes:

-FWD
-No folding back seat
-No traction control for 6-speeds
-Crappy stereo

-Power and speed
-Perfect interior with any option you would want
-Handling
-Smooth shifting 6-speed
-Very responsive motor
-Exterior looks
-Sound
-Back seats
-Heated seats
-Memory seat
Perfect case of different strokes for different folks. The lack of traction control and VSA was a major positive in my book, I'd still be rockin' my 5th gen Prelude if the 6MT CL had either of these. Remember that we 6MT owners get Helical LSD that the automatic folks didn't get.

I have 2 dislikes. Rain pours in the windows like it was the right thing to do if they are open a tiny little crack in the rain. The other one is the very tiny moonroof.

No major complaint about the stereo, it's the typical "no highs no lows from Bose" but I've heard much worse.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
the biggest dislike is FWD...
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TheWeez
Think that's user error. Maybe not knowing where your back end really ends. I have no issues paralleling into even very small spaces with little clearance. Turning circle is fairly tight even with wider tires on.
Meh, I had a hell of a time pulling up beside another car at work last week. I had to come in, turn 180 degrees and pull up beside the car. I had to back out, then try to pull in again, back out again, etc. I had the wheel turned as far as I could to the left before I even threw it back into drive. Even then the turn was too wide.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Meh, I had a hell of a time pulling up beside another car at work last week. I had to come in, turn 180 degrees and pull up beside the car. I had to back out, then try to pull in again, back out again, etc. I had the wheel turned as far as I could to the left before I even threw it back into drive. Even then the turn was too wide.
Your right the turning radius on the CL is limited compared to other cars.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
I love the fact that this car is so rare, especially where I live. I see maybe 1 or 2 of these a month. and everytime I fix something or add another mod I just can't help but smile when I step on the gas.

I also hate FWD but it has its positives and I hate the leather in this car
Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

I just realized that sounded kinda awkward. I definitely don't expect a car to be able to turn 180 degrees in a dime. It's just that I had to keep pulling back out, then trying to turn in about 3 times before I could get into the space without bashing another car. The turning just seemed a bit restrictive, and wouldn't turn as much as I wanted it to
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
Dislikes - FWD, the accompanying torque steer, the weight, aftermarket support, interior longevity, and as Rapture said, the turning radius

Likes - everything else
Old 07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

All cars have some features that people don't like. I'd say the CL has little dislikes compared to the other crap cars that are on the road today. The CL still seams ahead of it's time compared to other new cars.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
It all depends on what you want in a car. Some people think the CL is behind the times, some people think it's ahead of its time. It's all about what you're looking for in a car. Like black label said, different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by black label
Perfect case of different strokes for different folks. The lack of traction control and VSA was a major positive in my book, I'd still be rockin' my 5th gen Prelude if the 6MT CL had either of these. Remember that we 6MT owners get Helical LSD that the automatic folks didn't get.
If the CL were offered with traction control and/or VSA I'm sure they could be disabled. That, and VSA works in part by braking individual wheels, controlling the car in a way the driver can't. If I'm going sideways and I didn't want to, VSA would be a life- and insurance-rate saver.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by black label

I have 2 dislikes. Rain pours in the windows like it was the right thing to do if they are open a tiny little crack in the rain. The other one is the very tiny moonroof.

No major complaint about the stereo, it's the typical "no highs no lows from Bose" but I've heard much worse.
I think i misrepresented myself. I'd take No traction with an LSD like what we have anyday. I just wish we had traction control as well so we could just use it for normal everyday driving and for the rain etc.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AMAN1
Some people think the CL is behind the times, some people think it's ahead of its time.
The only think behind the times on a CL is the cassette player
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I think i misrepresented myself. I'd take No traction with an LSD like what we have anyday. I just wish we had traction control as well so we could just use it for normal everyday driving and for the rain etc.
I've driven a hundreds of cars with traction control and I f'n hate it, to be honest I hate ABS as well. Most traction control and electronic stability programs are too intrusive for my tastes. The only one I don't flat out hate is "PSA" or Porsche stability assist, as I've never actually noticed it kick in. Try to move a rear drive Benz in the snow without dedicated snow tires and you'll see what I mean, it cuts power and brakes wheels so fast that you never get a chance to get moving.

I learned to drive before all these systems were available. Back in the day, they taught you to turn into a skid, they taught you how to pump you brakes and be your own ABS system. I'd like to take all the driver aids away, get back to actual driver training before you get a license and let Darwin sort out the rest.

The only think behind the times on a CL is the cassette player
I call that my ghetto ipod interface

I when I bought the car and saw it there. I when I got my ipod.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
on traction control/vsa. Its way to intrusive. Give me some wheel slip and let the LSD do its job, not some computer. If I crash its because of my own stupidity. My first car had absolutely zero nanny computers in it. No ABS was fun - and I mean that in a good way. While it was easy for me to lock them up when I wanted to (just STAND on the brake pedal), it made me learn braking right at the threshold. And thats something I use today in the CL. Ive had ABS kick in on my once in the rain when a dog ran out in front of me. But as soon as I felt it take over I lifted and brought the car to a stop on my own.

Jacob - if you need traction control for the rain you need to a) get new tires or b) modulate the clutch better or c) stop going WOT in the rain.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 07-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
- Coupe
- Interior
- Engine sound

Dislikes:
- Transmission

I miss my CL-S...
Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
on traction control/vsa. Its way to intrusive. Give me some wheel slip and let the LSD do its job, not some computer. If I crash its because of my own stupidity. My first car had absolutely zero nanny computers in it. No ABS was fun - and I mean that in a good way. While it was easy for me to lock them up when I wanted to (just STAND on the brake pedal), it made me learn braking right at the threshold. And thats something I use today in the CL. Ive had ABS kick in on my once in the rain when a dog ran out in front of me. But as soon as I felt it take over I lifted and brought the car to a stop on my own.

Jacob - if you need traction control for the rain you need to a) get new tires or b) modulate the clutch better or c) stop going WOT in the rain.
This
Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by civicdrivr

Can't you technically just disconnect your ABS?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I Wanna Beer

Why not just pull the ABS fuse and turn off the VSA? Problem solved.

Quick Reply: What do you like or dislike about your CL?