What about one BIG letter to Acura about our tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
What about one BIG letter to Acura about our tranny?

With all the tranny issues that people are experiencing here and over at ATL.com, why don't WE write a letter to Acura? For example...

A letter could be drafted, expressing concern and HARD documentation of failing transmissions. The letter would be tastefully written, but composed in a manner that shows everyone's concern about their tranny dying (with the exception of you lucky 6-spd owners).

Then... Everyone here on the boards could give their name and have it added as a signature of sorts to the letter. I would think if something like this could be done and with a large majority of people from ACL.com and ATL.com 'signing' this, maybe this would raise an eyebrow at Acura?

I dunno... It's just a thought.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, why not ??

What's the worst that could happen?

They could just continue to stick their heads in the sand ???
Old 03-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now just DO IT. No more postulating, someone write it and then we can all sign it. Too many good ideas just get pushed around and agreed upon but never happen. Start writing!
Old 03-30-2002, 11:32 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

but what do we want them to do, I mean abviously they know about it and they are fixing them.

What else can we ask for?
Old 03-30-2002, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Samer007
but what do we want them to do, I mean abviously they know about it and they are fixing them.

What else can we ask for?
reassurance that the next tranny you get is fixed, and will last. Basically the point, as i see it, would be to push Acura to put sum money into the R&D of the tranny.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
The whole point to a ACL/ATL.com group letter, in my opinion, would include:

Users whom have had single and multiple tranny replacements, showing that something is obviously wrong. Be as detailed as possible; driving habits, area, build dates, purchase dates, mileage, etc...

Since there is evidence that something is up, asking for some type of explanation.

Reassurance, reassurance, reassurance...

And more...

I can certainly compose something in the next few days, but if someone wants to belt something out, I'm more than happy to go off someone elses letter. I think the main point of doing something like this would be to get everyone we can to sign this, hoping to get Acura's attention.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:00 AM
Race Director

You are forgetting about the legal issue(s).

Basically you are kind and nice and you want Acura to calmly admit and reassure. But everyone is not so kind and nice and basically feel they are being screwed. A personal telephone call from the CEO won't even help much less a letter.

What about the bad people, the criminals who get ahold of this response from Acura and use it against Acura with some bogus claims and/or lawsuits?

Why do you want to try to get Acura to put themselves in such a vulnerable position, opening up their troubles to the dregs of the world (not us on ACL but the non-loyal, causal Acura drivers who want to harm Acura)? Why would Acura admit to this and drive down the resale value of our cars by proclaiming that if you buy a used Acura, the tranny might fail tomorrow?

No, the money won't be going to R&D, it will pay for the lawsuits and the loss of [loyal] customers.

Forget about the letter, it won't change anything. You will still get the same [finest] service, the best replacement tranny available at the time, and everything else with or without a letter.

Now if you don't have a warranty and your tranny fails, now then you might need a letter or something.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scrib
The whole point to a ACL/ATL.com group letter, in my opinion, would include:
Since there is evidence that something is up,

asking for some type of EXPLANATION
Yes! Instead of all the friggin speculation!

" uhhh... it's the solenoids, uhhh it's the torque converter ,
uhhh...there where some bad bearings from a vendor in Japan...."

NO explanation & NO assurance that the problem has been
identified & a remedy found to eliminate the problem from
reoccurring.

Maybe it's that whole "must save face" mindset ???????

OR it could just be a "pass the buck" mindset I dunno !

If their F1 engineers are so great why can't they solve this issue?

Maybe the bean counters have done a statistical analysis & determined it will be cheaper over time to just replace the
transmissions that fail under warranty (5% maybe?) than R&D a permanent fix that can be implemented in the manufacturing process ?
Old 03-31-2002, 12:12 AM
- daemonichris -

i don't know how much this can do, considering they ARE replacing transmissions without any questions, and it seems like that are trying to satisfy their customers.

i for one, am not bothered by the transmission issue anymore because they have replaced my tranny with a refurbished one and it's still running great after 20,000 miles. they also compensated me and gave me all my big scheduled matinences for free.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:30 AM
Safety Car

I've gotta tell ya, I am all for it. Although my CL only has 7800 miles and has been trouble free, this issue has always been in the back of my mind. And I want to be sure that it stays this way!!
Old 03-31-2002, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Just send them a picture of what you traded the CL in for as well the number of people you steered away from acura products.. that might help..
Old 03-31-2002, 08:57 PM
Instructor

What I would want from them is Information! Thats not so hard. They claim to be upgrading the tranny and the casing on my new one is different than my failed unit. But they refuse to give us any info. They know what has failed - post it on a web site.

To the guys that say why would Acura do this...look at what happens to companies who try to hide or downplay these defects. Intel had a problem with their chips a few years ago where it would not divide properly (1/824,633,702,441). It was downplayed at first (thats a pretty obscure division, right?). But after increasing public pressure decided to offer a free replacement to anyone who wanted a new chip. This is considered a significant corporate learning experience within the company (I work there). It is corporate suicide for Acura to hide the facts.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:28 PM
Old Fella

I am sure there is a previous thread on this, but do we have a sense of when the tranny's are going? Or do we have evidence that the damned things can go south at any time in their life cycle? I'm at 26,000 miles now and not having a problem..... And damned well hoping it stays that way!
Old 04-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Instructor

pkane: almost 30% of the tranny failures occur above 25k. See the poll in the transmission forum.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Letters to Acura

I wrote a letter recently to Kurt Antonius, Senior Manager Corporate Public Relations, American Honda regarding the problems with Acura automatic transmissions and in response got a phone call from some guy at Acura Client Services stating that Acura TL's and CL's have no transmission problems. I asked to speak to his supervisor and was advised that there are no supervisors in this office.

I think we should go to the top and write to:

Koichi Amemiya, President, American Honda Motor Co., 1919 West Torrance Blvd., Torrance CA 90501-2746 or cal 1 800 999-1009
Old 04-02-2002, 07:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele

Why would Acura admit to this and drive down the resale value of our cars by proclaiming that if you buy a used Acura, the tranny might fail tomorrow?

No, the money won't be going to R&D, it will pay for the lawsuits and the loss of [loyal] customers.

Now if you don't have a warranty and your tranny fails, now then you might need a letter or something.
Ya, Ken has some valid points here. The resale which already isn't anything to brag about would get worse quickly. Especially if Acura admitted to the problem and someone made it public.

If someone does have a failed tranny outside of the warranty I would assume Acura would just swap it out anyway. If they didn't I would go this route. Hopefully Acura holds to it's name and repairs all tranny issues on the vehicles. Regardless of the warranty.

The letter would do more harm than good in the long run. But it is an excellent Idea. If sales on the CLS were higher I would say go for it. Otherwise your commiting CLS suicide.

heh, or just wait until I trade mine in 1st

ugh, this transmission thing just plain sucks...