Warped rotors -- ? performance loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 05:33 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped rotors -- ? performance loss

This maybe a dumb question but how much of a performace loss can one expect to have with warped rotors? And ABS still works with warped rotors, right? Warped rotors cause brake pedal shudder with heavy braking, right?
Old 08-26-2001, 06:59 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you understand the basics behind warped rotors, right? the metal is heated by braking and cools down afterward after repeated had stops running through a puddle ect the rotor becomes "warped", the metal th rotor is made out of cools and contracts at different rates causing some areas of th rotor to be raised up abouve the rest and some to be recessed, when the break pad passes over these raised and recessed areas it creates that vibration you feel as for affecting the ABS it shouldn't majorly effect the ABS the only time it might was if you were extremeley close to activating the ABS anyways although I am not sure how much of a difference this makes in real life. Still better safe than sorry, if you think you have warped rotors have them turned. I've been told that its a good Idea to replace the break pads when turnign the rotors because they may have worn unevenly causing some areas to hat more than others when breaking. Also I have had people tell me that with stock rotors they are already as thin as Acura though nessicary and that turning them would degrade preformance and might lead to quicker warpage, however I think having them turned one or twice is no big deal but replacing them at some point would be a good idea (same energy in less area of metal means high temperature.) As you can tell I am slightly bored at the moment and happy to be doing anything.