Warped Rotors Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped Rotors Help

Hey guys, I'm new here. I noticed several of you have had your brakes replaced by the dealership due to the warped rotor problem. I'm pretty sure mine are warped as well. I called my dealership and they said they won't cover it since the brake warranty is only good until 12k miles. Is there any way to get to get it done under warranty seeing as it's a really widespread problem on the CLs? Btw, I have an 03 CL-S. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try another dealership, some have been really good about cutting the rotors and replacing the pads for free under warranty. I had mine done at 30 and replaced the rotors and pads on the front at about 75k.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm here in spirit...

My dealer did mine for the second time at 47K. I had to raise a bit of hell to get them to do it but I threw the whole "TSB" thing at them and they covered it.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:56 PM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine have just warped again at 70K miles. Under the TSB and a little strong-arming, my dealer replaced the fronts and shaved the rears at about 45K, replacing all pads as well. They didn't do it without a fight.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:02 AM
My Member is Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine warped at 45k. I had to work the dealer a little but they replaced the fronts and shaved the rears, replacing all pads too. Now my front rotors are warped again at 70K. I'm going to have those re-surfaced this time, replacing those pads too. (they need it anyway.)
Old 08-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Racer

went to the dealership friday about this. 2003 tl-s with 33k miles. they said they usually only cover the rotors until 20k mi but "they would make an exception for me since rotors shouldn't warp at 33k" I didn't bring up the tsb but I did tell them that I spoke to a mechanic the last time I serviced the car and he told me they were covered.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:33 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by tl-s4now
went to the dealership friday about this. 2003 tl-s with 33k miles. they said they usually only cover the rotors until 20k mi but "they would make an exception for me since rotors shouldn't warp at 33k" I didn't bring up the tsb but I did tell them that I spoke to a mechanic the last time I serviced the car and he told me they were covered.
Where can I find the TSB online? I guess it would be best to print it out and take it to them. Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:42 AM
Intermediate

I just had mine re-surfaced and the brake pads replaced as well. Do a search for TSB 01-017 on here. There are threads with the TSB. If not, send me a PM with your email and I'll pop it over.

Just FYI.
2002 CL-S
They will usually classify it as GoodWill.
You can goto Cush Acura of Escondido and they'll do it with a bit of pushing.
Oh yeah if they resurface the rotors, they should replace the pads. Since it's the pads that are causing the probs.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM
6th Gear

Ah, no luck with the TSB when calling the dealers. This one dealer (Baranco Acura) told me that there is no TSB and I just got tired of arguing with those idiots. This other dealer (Ed Voyles) told me that TSBs only tell them another way to fix a problem, it doesn't mean they will cover it (as in a recall). I really don't understand why Acura hasn't done a recall on this if it's such a widespread problem. It's simply ridiculous. This one service dude from Ed Voyles tried telling me it's because I drive in Atlanta in stop and go traffic. What about all of the other millions of people that drive and live in Atlanta? This is insane. I can't believe they make up excuses to get out of fixing and covering a known problem.

Also, I need to get 26,500 service and one dealer quoted me $140 for it, but this other dealer told me it's just an oil change. Is this true? If so, why would the first dealer quote $140 for an oil change?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajayz
Also, I need to get 26,500 service and one dealer quoted me $140 for it, but this other dealer told me it's just an oil change. Is this true? If so, why would the first dealer quote $140 for an oil change?
It's called CASH.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:07 PM
Instructor

the rotors are covered by the "defects in materials or workmanship" clause for 48 months or 50K miles. forget the dealer's bullshit. he' just trying to butt-fuck another customer. if you're within this period they ARE covered. unfortunately the frauds who run the acura dealers refuse to honor warranties. this is called FRAUD.

if you can afford an attorney go that route. it's the easiest on you. hold the owner of the dealership who refused to honor the warranty liable for "death or injury" while you continue to operate the car until the brakes are fixed as a result of wilful breach of warranty. demand compensation for legal expenses BEFORE you permit the car repaired. your attorney will advise you.

if you can't afford an attorney write to the consumer protection division of your state's attorney general's office. this will take significantly longer. demand specific performance in accordance with the new car warranty in writing to the state's attorney general's office. also hold the owner of the dealership criminally & civilly(spelling?) liable IN WRITING for "death or injury" while you continue to operate the car until the brakes are fixed as a result of wilful breach of warranty.

you can find a reference to the "TSB" on NHTSA's web site. it's in there. you may have to search a little, but i found it there a few months ago. i can't remember how much info it gives but it does list the warped rotors as a specific issue that the acura division of american honda has acknowledged & generated a response to NHTSA for. it also can't hurt to list another of acura's dealers who refuse to honor the warranty on the brakes despite the TSB. after enough people complain to NHTSA the TSB response from acura will be rejected and a recall will be enforced.

good luck. you'll need plenty to suffer with the fuckin' frauds at acura.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carquest
you can find a reference to the "TSB" on NHTSA's web site. it's in there. you may have to search a little, but i found it there a few months ago. i can't remember how much info it gives but it does list the warped rotors as a specific issue that the acura division of american honda has acknowledged & generated a response to NHTSA for. it also can't hurt to list another of acura's dealers who refuse to honor the warranty on the brakes despite the TSB. after enough people complain to NHTSA the TSB response from acura will be rejected and a recall will be enforced.
Well he can save time on that and just PM me. I can email him the PDF copy of the TSB 01-017. Or just a search for TSB 01-017 will get him a copy of it. Either way.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Both stealerships told me that the TSB was only covered up to 35K... Any know if that is true... And what do I do now?... I have a '01 CL-P (Acura Certi Pre-owned) It has 41k and the rotors are warped :-(