Viper security system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Viper security system?

I was about to install Viper 300ES security system at Circuit City store, but backed out when they told me that they will completly disable my stock alarm and replace it by Vipper.

Is it possible to have both Viper and out stock Alarm systems be active at the same time?
Old 06-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, & no. The viper will replace the stock alarm. The viper has a factory disarm wire that will disable the factory system. If this wire isn't connected, then the factory alarm would also be running at the same time. You could have both, but you would need both remotes & that doesn't make much sense. The engine part that requires the special key with the chip is a different system though, & will not be affected by any of this. Why would you not want the factory alarm replaced? The viper is 10 times better. Evern more if you got the 550ESP. That has the remote start.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by JasonT
Yes, & no. The viper will replace the stock alarm. The viper has a factory disarm wire that will disable the factory system. If this wire isn't connected, then the factory alarm would also be running at the same time. You could have both, but you would need both remotes & that doesn't make much sense. The engine part that requires the special key with the chip is a different system though, & will not be affected by any of this. Why would you not want the factory alarm replaced? The viper is 10 times better. Evern more if you got the 550ESP. That has the remote start.
So even Viper 300 ESP is better than Stock CLS Alarm?
Is it possible that Viper is incompatable with CLS, and could potentially mess up electrical components?

550 has remote start included in the package, or I have to buy it as an add on ?

Will I also have my security LED blinking? or viper has separate LEDs.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes most aftermarket alarms are better then the stock alarm. I have had 3 Viper 550ESP's installed on 3 diffetrent cars. And a 300ESP on my truck. All functioned well, with no problems. An alarm is an alarm. They are universial, & will work with almost all cars. The viper 550ESP includes all the features of the 300 ESP, & includes the remote start option. The only thing extra you will need is the factory bypass for the electronic key. This is a little black box you put an extra programmed key in so the the car will start. This box is hidden somewhere under the dash. The key is not cut, only programmed, so even if someone found the key, it would not fit the ignition. The viper has it's own led light. That will be used if you want. I choose not to use mine. The little secruity light by the drivers lock will not be on. I guess it could be wired for that one, but that would be extra. A good install will run about $500. Don't know how much the 300ESP would be for you. Really the only differences are the remote start, extended range, & a 4 button remote.
Old 06-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't qestion "Viper" security systems, but do QUESTION Circut city kids they employ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd check references before I'd let Circut City touch my Acura.........
Old 06-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Fabvsix
I don't qestion "Viper" security systems, but do QUESTION Circut city kids they employ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd check references before I'd let Circut City touch my Acura.........
That's right, I am afraid to let those dumb asses stick their hands in my car. I've heard stories of bad alarm installations that caused electrical problems....
Circuit city is the only place I've know that does the installation, we have some local shops but they do not look to promising to me either....
Old 06-25-2002, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I wouldn't let those people near my car either.
Go to Vipers website, & search for a dealer. At least you can get a list of other places in your area.

http://www.directed.com/security/viper/default.asp
Old 06-25-2002, 08:03 AM
Advanced

DO NOT LET CIRCUIT CITY INSTALL ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR!!!!
I have been doing auto electronics for 8 years now and I have fixed more of circuit citys f-ups than I can count. All of the chain stores can't install for sh^t. Go to a place that does work for very expensive cars and that does BIG dollar systems you might pay alittle more but your driving a $30K car don't treat it like a $5k car.
if your still not comforable drive up here and I'll stall it.

p.s. I have the 551T made by DEI(viper) it's a stand alone remote start that I made work with my factory alarm. So when I lock my doors from the remote that factory alarm turns on. I also have it set to automatically lock the doors and arm the alarm 90 secconds after the last door is shut.:P :P :P
Old 06-25-2002, 09:27 AM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just givin' out my two cents.
i currently have the Viper 550ESP....
it includes the autostart, a wonderful feature year round.
however, i will not be installing anymore Viper alarms on
future cars.
they are not exactly the highest end alarm systems out there.

currently, it's installed in my cheap nissan.
sometimes the alarm does not respond to my remote.
it may be a problem with installation, or an electrical/signal
issue with that alarm model.
i would have to reset the alarm with the AUX button by pressing it for a few seconds.

when and if i do get an acura CL, i would prefer to get a code alarm or clifford. the extra cost is well worth it.

viper alarms = cheap. why install something cheap for your nice acura???
Old 06-25-2002, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Most of the "alarm brands" are made by DEI. I would say code alarm is cheaper then a Viper. Ranks up there with crimestopper IMO. However your experience is your experience. My experince has seen no problems in 4 different cars. 2 of which are over $30K. I'm not saying Viper is the best, but it has worked for me. I heard good things about compustar. I might give that one a try in my next car.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Ranking alarm systems

1. Clifford (BY Far)

2. DEI (viper, sidewinder, valent, etc..)

The rest don't rank

But cliffords are alot harder to install which = more time which = more $$$ for labor to install.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:23 PM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey jasont,
i agree with ya.
supposedly... DEI is a pretty reputable company.
perhaps i'm one of the unfortunate ones who have
had bad experiences.
they're only occasional problems.... not too often.

but i do think the extra cost of installing the cliffords
may be worthwhile.