V1...digital?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 04:56 AM
ALi G in the House!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V1...digital?!

i waas gunna go out and buy a v1 today, but some of my cop friends told me that the LAPD is changing there radars to digital..i talked to someone from v1 and they said that it won't work with the new radars and no upgrades have been made to make it work...are we (in cali) screwed? are there any other radar detectors that will work on this new system?
Old 06-22-2002, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: V1...digital?!

Originally posted by AkuraCLS
i waas gunna go out and buy a v1 today, but some of my cop friends told me that the LAPD is changing there radars to digital..i talked to someone from v1 and they said that it won't work with the new radars and no upgrades have been made to make it work...are we (in cali) screwed? are there any other radar detectors that will work on this new system?
Can you get some more info about any of this?
http://www.mphindustries.com/product...radar_pop.html
http://www.mphindustries.com/main1.html

I do wonder if this is what you are talking about. It was brought up before and basically (as I understand it), the radar operated is a "kind of stealth" mode (there is debate about using this mode to actually give you a ticket) A button is pressed and it either sends a very "brief" chirp -- I believe Valentine says the device can't temp stabilize in time, so the "way out" is to say it is just for "finding your prey". Once the prey is locked into the sites (with no warning), the now alerted officer can switch modes (approved and detectable), but your too close and its too late.

There are some flaws with this -- if there is a speeder in front of you when they go to "get the 'radar reading currently to be used for the "ticked" speed", you might still get a bounce... OTOH, if they go to very low power, they could reduce the acquisition range to a very small range and make it tough to avoid...

AND Valentine reply to this (I’m not saying it’s the only threat, but Ken or Shawn or some member brought this up a while back):

http://www.valentine1.com/pop/

THE POP GAME! : http://www.valentine1.com/pop/game.asp

IMO, there hasn't been a countermeasure in spy-vs-spy that isn't eventually worked out -- so who knows...
Old 06-22-2002, 09:41 AM
Race Director

Basically my comments on this new type of threat are:

1.Mike is working diligently on the problem because he knows that even though it is flawed, the bugs will be worked out eventually to produce a new sort of undetectable radar.

2.Cops already have a chirp weapon in their arsenal, they have for years. It's called their eyes. A well-trained cop can see an approaching car that's speeding and then use the legal and detectable radar to confirm his visual ascertation. That's the law; that's the way it was intended. If they want to now substitute a chirp mode for visual, what difference does it make? The only thing I can think of is that it is supposed to minimize the amount of times the cop will actually turn on the legal and detectable radar in an attempt to get a reading because he can just "chirp" until he is satisfied he has a "good" target and in the event he acquires one thru chirping, the legal and detectable radar will confirm and he makes the traffic stop. What would that mean for us (radar detector owners)? Whenever you pickup radar, somebody is already nailed. But here's the problem: if chirping is so inaccurate, perhaps the subsequent legal and detectable radar reading will not confirm (contradict) and actually cause the police to activate legal and detectable radar unnecessarily which gives radar detector owners even more frequent warning.

3.My guess is police who discover chirping is not working for them (causing them to activate legal and detectable radar unnecessarily) and the abundant contradictions will be dissatisfied with the method and deactivate it or discourage it's use. Kinda like audio on the radar. The audio noise produced by the doppler effect, cops use to ride around with the radar always on, with the audio turned up full-blast, never looking at the speed-readout display, and just listen for that high-pitched whining first, and then and only then would they look for a target after the radar locked, alerted, or displayed an unlawful speed. Today, with instant-on radar, probably no one uses this method much. Plus it's not exactly legal.

4.Let's wait to see how this turns out in the courtroom. Chances are there will be people wrongfully ticketed and this will end up in court. You know it will because regular legal and detectable, very accurate radar of today ends up in court all the time. So will this. I'm hoping that the method will be determined to be unlawful and will never end up in the hands of police in large numbers. How will you know you've been chirped? I guess you won't unless you identify the radar's model and do some research. Even then the police will testify they used the "old" method and you might be screwed. In any case, I (and others) who live in places where the police is very conservative on radar, a few years behind on technology, and better ways to spend money than to replace already good and working radar guns can still use the V1 will relative impunity.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
How many here believe that police will actually switch over from POP to regular radar to give you the ticket??? 99% of the time information like this will never be brought up in court. An officer will hit someone with POP get a high inaccurate reading, issue the ticket, and in court the judge wont believe the driver who will say he was speeding, but not going that fast. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Old 06-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele
In any case, I (and others) who live in places where the police is very conservative on radar, a few years behind on technology, and better ways to spend money than to replace already good and working radar guns can still use the V1 will relative impunity.

LOL, so umm laser guns are considered to be behind on technology? Seems a lot of places are getting it. And unless your car will absorb the IR laser, your hosed.

Since they mainly use laser here ken.... I get nailed with laser 10x more than I do KA.

This county spends on a lot of the police department from our tax money. We have some of the newer guns, and well trained police force to use them...

Unless you don't live next door to me anymore, either way seems your on a different planet.

Overland Park Property Taxes

Since the police and fire and combined in most of OP, the money goes into both. Wish I could remember where the chart is for my "personal property taxes". Which I pay a bit over $1000 a year on for a Car/Jeep/Boat. And a good 50-60% of that goes to police/fire too. Seems living in missouri would have it's benefits.
Old 06-22-2002, 05:43 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by SiGGy

LOL, so umm laser guns are considered to be behind on technology? Seems a lot of places are getting it. And unless your car will absorb the IR laser, your hosed.

Since they mainly use laser here ken.... I get nailed with laser 10x more than I do KA.

This county spends on a lot of the police department from our tax money. We have some of the newer guns, and well trained police force to use them...

Unless you don't live next door to me anymore, either way seems your on a different planet.

Overland Park Property Taxes

Since the police and fire and combined in most of OP, the money goes into both. Wish I could remember where the chart is for my "personal property taxes". Which I pay a bit over $1000 a year on for a Car/Jeep/Boat. And a good 50-60% of that goes to police/fire too. Seems living in missouri would have it's benefits.
Yeah, I still live next to you. For three years and nearly 60,000 miles on just this car, I have to say laser and radar speed traps in Kansas are nil. They don't use rolling radar and when they do use laser, it's either on the freeway or it's some big laser party on 135th. Yes the cops are always hiding in those entrance ways to each subdivision but for the most part OPP is pretty lame. I've only seen one car with a mounted radar device and none with rear antenna. They all seems to have a portable radar gun and I've only seen 1 motorcycle. Yes I know there are a bunch of unmarked cars, you can see them in the main OPP parking lot and the garage off College, but that's where they are, parked.

The State is barely within the city limits and you tell me if you've even seen the S.O.? I've seen one and it did have radar and it was on 127th. One Johnson County sheriff car in 3 years.

Sometimes I drive for 7 straight days and not a radar or laser gun in sight. I guess that's good! Come to Kansas and speed all you want.....
Old 06-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by kensteele

Sometimes I drive for 7 straight days and not a radar or laser gun in sight. I guess that's good! Come to Kansas and speed all you want.....
Man I need your luck LOL I must attract police. I always seem to find them.