V-AFC question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 03:51 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
V-AFC question

does it tell you your air/fuel ratio

like if your running rich or lean or just right?
Old 06-06-2001, 03:54 PM
on bin laden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think you need a seperate guage for that stoichiometry.

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 06-06-2001, 04:16 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fbazakos:
i think you need a seperate guage for that stoichiometry.

</font>
you think?
Old 06-06-2001, 05:54 PM
on bin laden

Well my cousin has the Apexi V-AFC and Boost controller on his turboed integra. But he has a seperate guage that constantly bounces around from rich to lean. The V-AFC will just allow you to modify the fuel curve, but I'm pretty sure you need a seperate guage to actually see the immididate difference. All in all, I'm 99% sure.

This may help as well:

The V-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. The Fuel Adjustment function considers wide/narrow throttle and low/high camshaft settings, from which four different fuel maps are created (wide-low, wide-high, narrow-low, narrow-high). The integrated VTEC Controller adjusts the point at which the engine switches from the Lo to Hi cam during acceleration, as well as when the engine switches from the Hi to Lo cam during deceleration.

The second-generation S-AFC is a fuel computer that adjusts fuel/air ratio by modifying the air-flow meter/MAP sensor signal. The S-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems. The S-AFC is capable of monitoring and replaying the following data channels in Numerical, Analog Meter and Graph displays: Intake Manifold Vacuum/Boost Pressure, Air Flow Capacity, Intake Manifold Pressure, Karmann Frequency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Air Flow Correction %.

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02
Old 06-06-2001, 10:19 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Well my cousin has the Apexi V-AFC and Boost controller on his turboed integra. But he has a seperate guage that constantly bounces around from rich to lean. The V-AFC will just allow you to modify the fuel curve, but I'm pretty sure you need a seperate guage to actually see the immididate difference. All in all, I'm 99% sure.

This may help as well:

The V-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. The Fuel Adjustment function considers wide/narrow throttle and low/high camshaft settings, from which four different fuel maps are created (wide-low, wide-high, narrow-low, narrow-high). The integrated VTEC Controller adjusts the point at which the engine switches from the Lo to Hi cam during acceleration, as well as when the engine switches from the Hi to Lo cam during deceleration.

The second-generation S-AFC is a fuel computer that adjusts fuel/air ratio by modifying the air-flow meter/MAP sensor signal. The S-AFC features a user-definable, eight-point, adjustable fuel curve that can be set in 500 RPM increments. The range of fuel adjustment is +/- 50% at each of the user-defined setting points. On hot-wire vehicles, the Deceleration Air Flow Correction function is capable of curing the erratic idle and stall problems associated with open-atmosphere blow-off valves on hot-wire air-flow meter systems. The S-AFC is capable of monitoring and replaying the following data channels in Numerical, Analog Meter and Graph displays: Intake Manifold Vacuum/Boost Pressure, Air Flow Capacity, Intake Manifold Pressure, Karmann Frequency, Engine RPM, Throttle Position, and Air Flow Correction %.

</font>

i really get confused on that shit
Old 06-07-2001, 12:51 AM
Cruisin'

Most people that bought them won't admit it but they won't do much for the CL-P or CL-S.

The CL-S especially is so well tuned from the factory, that it's hard to extract any thing but a few HP. That's with a skilled master tuner, not me and you screwing around.

They are always for sale cheap in the "Black market" section of this board. I guess the novelty wears off pretty quick.

Great light show if you like techno shit, but unless you have major mods to the engine (Ported/ polished heads, large bore throttle body, turbo or supercharger) most of which isn't even available yet,(except through Rick Case Acura in FLA.)save your time and money.

By the way great info on the previous posts.

------------------
2001 CL-S San Marino Red W/ Parchment Int. Wood Dash, Custom Sheepskins, Bra, Comptech Headers, Exhaust & Sways,
AEM Pulleys, Injen CAI, Denso plugs, G-Tech Pro, 17x7.5 Halo chrome wheels, 255ZR40X17 Dunlop Sport 9000's
Don't Laugh it's paid for!!!
Old 06-07-2001, 01:52 AM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLoSe to RAD:

By the way great info on the previous posts.

</font>
haha, he just copied that from the apexi site
Old 06-07-2001, 06:36 AM
on bin laden

oh yeah, i give credit where it is due. by the way, scott, i am now 100% sure that the APEXi V-AFC does *NOT* give you a lean/rich meter of the air-fuel ratio. I looked at it tonight on my cousin's car. That is why he has the extra autometer on his pod.
Clse to RAD - you are correct, our ECU is capable of adjusting to what mods are available. forced induction is about the only place it truly helps you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CLpower:
haha, he just copied that from the apexi site </font>

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02
Old 06-07-2001, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah, i give credit where it is due. by the way, scott, i am now 100% sure that the APEXi V-AFC does *NOT* give you a lean/rich meter of the air-fuel ratio. I looked at it tonight on my cousin's car. That is why he has the extra autometer on his pod.
Clse to RAD - you are correct, our ECU is capable of adjusting to what mods are available. forced induction is about the only place it truly helps you.

</font>

The Lambda sensor -- O2 sensor in the exhaust will try to keep air-fuel ratio @ about 14.7:1.

The V-AFC only helps if the mods move so much more air, that the computer needs some help to keep the air-fuel ratio correct (it does OK with headers and CAI).

It is a good tool (when needed). It just allows a user to intercept various input sensors values, and "fake" the computer out by changing the values given it at specified rpms and loads (air flow changes and manifold vacuum changes with engine load).

The O2 sensor is the "master" controller, and if anyone has "ideas" of richening up the mixture for more power, forget about it. The catalytic converter only works over a vary narrow range of fuel-to-air, trying to change it, will result in increased NO, CO, and HC emissions, and the computer will most likely toss a diagnostic warning code (if some tries pushing the computer too far out of loop).

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic
Old 06-07-2001, 08:03 AM
on bin laden

yeap, then your check engine light comes on, your timing gets retarded, and you're performance goes down the tubes. you can fool ODB II by hanging the second sensor (post catalytic-converter) outside the pipe if you're running too rich.

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19224, 19169
*77237-SOK-A02
Old 06-07-2001, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i heard hondata just cracked honda's HEXadecimle code and now can completely hack any ANY part of the ECU????i thought these were the kinda of things that xeypher was working on

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
H&R o.e.'s 1.0/1.0
AEM cold air w/bypass
---PIAA 19224----
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around
kill list
ITR.'98gt,GTP,contour SVT
GS-R,87 GT,supra...and more to come
-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 06-07-2001, 12:20 PM
teh Senior Instigator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
i heard hondata just cracked honda's HEXadecimle code and now can completely hack any ANY part of the ECU????
</font>
this is true
Old 06-07-2001, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Not completely true according to their web site. They list tegs, civic, ludes and accords.

Here's what they say about the lude.

"The stock OBD II ECUs for the 96-00 Prelude are not re-programmable"

and

"These ECUS have the processor (Oki 66509) and ROM chip combined and surface mounted onto the circuit board. Blank chips for these computers are not available. It is possible to use an remapped OBD II computer from a Civic or Integra, but the cost of purchasing and reprogramming makes an OBD I conversion a better option. The Type SH has an option of a computer controlled differential. This ECU has not been tested."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeR:
i heard hondata just cracked honda's HEXadecimle code and now can completely hack any ANY part of the ECU????i thought these were the kinda of things that xeypher was working on

</font>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Got some stuff
14.302 @98.69 Carlsbad Raceway 4/29/01
My Car

CLpower has a 1st Gen 3.0 CL
Old 06-07-2001, 01:54 PM
teh Senior Instigator

mike i'm 98% sure hondata could do our car. My buddie w/ a v6 accord called and they said it was a go