Turkey baster or No Turkey baster

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey baster or No Turkey baster

So i got my oil changed the other day and the mechanic mentions to me that I need to change my Power Steering fluid cause its dirty. He is like see it should be clear not this yellowish funk color that it was. So i was thinking, any best, better, great ways to remove and change the power steering fluid....Turkey baster was the first thing that came to my mind.

To Turkey baster or to not to Turkey baster - that is my question
Old 07-16-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm Cool

you need more than a turkey baster to do a flush
Old 07-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
You can pull the line out of the PS box, let it drain, put the line back & add new fluid. Run the car, then repeat. This will get the old fluid out. I'm doing this in the next few weeks.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
You can pull the line out of the PS box, let it drain, put the line back & add new fluid. Run the car, then repeat. This will get the old fluid out. I'm doing this in the next few weeks.
Actually do it with the motor running. turn the wheel slowly lock to lock to expel any fluid in the system. then reattach the low pressure line back fill the res back up start the car and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock to get rid of any air (top off as necessary)
Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MinTS
So i got my oil changed the other day and the mechanic mentions to me that I need to change my Power Steering fluid cause its dirty. He is like see it should be clear not this yellowish funk color that it was. So i was thinking, any best, better, great ways to remove and change the power steering fluid....Turkey baster was the first thing that came to my mind.

To Turkey baster or to not to Turkey baster - that is my question
Yes. But don't put it back in the kitchen drawer after using it.