Truth about thee 15k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 11:04 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truth about thee 15k mile service

I've become good friends with the head tech at my dealer that does all of my work for me. I asked him tonight about the 15k mile check up. Basically he said it was a huge waste of money. He said the Integras needed it b/c they got valve adjustments at 15k miles, but nothing like that for the CLS. And, there is NOT supposed to be any transmission fluid change with this service. About the only thing they really do different than a regular oil change is rotate and balance tires. While they're doing this they look at your brakes and INSPECT suspension parts etc.

Anyways, long story short he wrote me up a form for the 15k mile service so I have all the records.

Not to say those of you who payed out the wazoo got ripped off, but, ah forget it

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
35% tint/CAI next
Old 02-13-2001, 02:25 AM
Back to Four Doors

Interesting ... I wonder how the rest of us can get the "credit" for the 15k warranty without getting taken in the process. Can we "negotiate" the work to be done on the service and pay for what is needed?

I will check my manual but are you sure they don't change out the tranny fluid? More than one poster here has said they do. Just curious.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 02-13-2001, 02:33 AM
Race Director

Can't be a huge waste of money. A mere $180?

A huge waste of money is paying $60 a share for Nokia stock way back when.

A huge waste of money is running a stop light and getting a $295 camera ticket in the mail.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-13-2001, 02:44 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Can't be a huge waste of money. A mere $180?

A huge waste of money is paying $60 a share for Nokia stock way back when.

A huge waste of money is running a stop light and getting a $295 camera ticket in the mail.
</font>
These remind me of the old Johnny Carson "Karnac" routines where he pretends to "read" the contents of an envelope ... Name 2 wastes and a .....

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116

[This message has been edited by lead_sled_dog (edited 02-13-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 10:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JZ:
I've become good friends with the head tech at my dealer that does all of my work for me. I asked him tonight about the 15k mile check up. Basically he said it was a huge waste of money. He said the Integras needed it b/c they got valve adjustments at 15k miles, but nothing like that for the CLS. And, there is NOT supposed to be any transmission fluid change with this service. About the only thing they really do different than a regular oil change is rotate and balance tires. While they're doing this they look at your brakes and INSPECT suspension parts etc.

Anyways, long story short he wrote me up a form for the 15k mile service so I have all the records.

Not to say those of you who payed out the wazoo got ripped off, but, ah forget it

</font>

Depends upon how you look at it. I got an oil change, tranny fluid change, tire rotation and new air filter plus a bunch of inspection checks for $102. Now let's see...
oil change $25
tranny fluid change $30
air filter $15
tire rotation $10
BS inpsection checks $22.

So if you wanna call $22 a "huge waste of money" then go right ahead. And just because Acura doesn't say the tranny fluid needs to be changed at 15K, doesn't mean it doesn't really need to be changed. I asked my shop why they did it and they said in their 15 years in business they were finding out that Honda's auto trannies just weren't lasting as long as they should be. If you only plan on keeping this car for a couple years, then perhaps the 15K or even the 30K services are a waste of money. But I don't think you can look at this saying it's a waste of money period just because some mechanic has that opinion.

my .02

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers to be installed in a couple weeks
PIAA 19169
Old 02-13-2001, 10:56 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow $102 for all of those... u r lucky.... my dealer wants some $220 or more....

U R lucky!

------------------
Bare Bone Stock Type-S. Plenty of accessories. PIAA 19169 to be installed soon.
Old 02-13-2001, 11:11 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
Wow $102 for all of those... u r lucky.... my dealer wants some $220 or more....

U R lucky!

</font>
Just ask them for what they will preform and lie to them and say you already got it done recently so you don't need it. like rotating tires and changing trasmission fluid and stuff. that way you can save some money for mods

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:16 PM
Advanced

kensteele
You got any $80 Cisco to go with that $60 Nokia? Wonder what the Motley Fool suggest regarding the 15k service?
Old 02-13-2001, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

I still disagree that tranny fluid needs to be changed after only 15k. Changing your fluid too often could be harmful. It's not like your engine oil. Trans fluid is corrosive and breaks down seals and stuff. Most of the maintenance from the dealer is their way of milking ya for more money. I could be wrong on the Trans fluid in this SS Trans, a lot of my experience is on older less sophisticated (HD) autos.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-13-2001, 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

My car has 53k miles on it and I've yet to bring it in to Acura. I do the major things myself. I am, however, bringing it in for the 55k or 60k (can't remember which one is the "major" one). That way when I sell the car, I'll have documentation of at least one major service.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum

Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 02-13-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro

I don't know what the honda engineers or what dealers' opinions are on the 15K tranny fluid change, but I've always heard changing that fluid too early is useless. who first said they were going to change the fluid at 15K?
Old 02-13-2001, 03:33 PM
Instructor

i don't think changing tranny fluid early is a bad idea. i have a post where i stated that my shift points have changed (with regards to the speed not to the rpms). i plan on having my tranny fluid changed at my next oil change. i have 11000 right now. hopefully i can get back to shifting at 80 and 110 mph. from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4.
Old 02-13-2001, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tel1sps:
I still disagree that tranny fluid needs to be changed after only 15k. Changing your fluid too often could be harmful. It's not like your engine oil. Trans fluid is corrosive and breaks down seals and stuff. Most of the maintenance from the dealer is their way of milking ya for more money. I could be wrong on the Trans fluid in this SS Trans, a lot of my experience is on older less sophisticated (HD) autos.

</font>
Well, if tranny fluid is corrosive (not doubting you, I honestly don't know), then why would dirty tranny fluid be any better or less corrosive than new tranny fluid? I mean... you have to have it in there, so if it's corrosive it seems to be a moot point?? You could look at it as a way of milking a customer for more money. Or you could look at it the other way. If the trannys won't last as long if the fluid isn't changed as often, then years down down the road they'll REALLY be able to milk you with some large out of warranty tranny repairs!!
Old 02-13-2001, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
Well, if tranny fluid is corrosive (not doubting you, I honestly don't know), then why would dirty tranny fluid be any better or less corrosive than new tranny fluid? I mean... you have to have it in there, so if it's corrosive it seems to be a moot point?? You could look at it as a way of milking a customer for more money. Or you could look at it the other way. If the trannys won't last as long if the fluid isn't changed as often, then years down down the road they'll REALLY be able to milk you with some large out of warranty tranny repairs!!</font>
The way friends in auto repair field have explained it to me is that trans fluid breaks in. The corrosive effects diminish after a certain period of time/miles. Some guys that race put trans fluid in their power steering pumps to run cooler, but the result is corroded seals in the pump. Changing the fluid too often then might be a bad thing. Yeah ya need fluid in there, duh. And if you spend a lot of time over 100mph, racing, and beating on your trans you need to check your trans fluid for excessive break down. Your driving habits have impact on the life of the fluid, local or highway driving. Heat is the biggest killer, so if ya race a large trans cooler is good idea.

Bottom line, check the fluid and see if it needs to be changed. What color is it and how does it smell (some guys taste it). If its nice and redish ya good.

Example: VW recommends first trans fluid change for the Passat at 90,000 miles. That's a 75k mile difference. YMMV

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-13-2001, 05:22 PM
Banned

I look at the trans fluid change like the oil. Honda says to do the oil at 7500 miles. How many of you wait till 7500? But they say that under "severe conditions" you should do the oil at 3000. When I took my car to the shop (independent Honda/Acura shop) for the 15000, the owner said they also do the tranny fluid. After the service I noticed an immediate difference. The shifts felt firmer and it felt like less of a slushbox.

Tel1sps says the ATF is corrosive but writes about damaged power steering seals. It doesn't suprise me that putting the wrong fluid in a system can damage it. Eggs will eat the paint off your car but cause no harm to us (cholesterol aside).

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 02-13-2001, 05:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

The damaged PS pump was an example that I was hoping other folks on the list could relate to from racing. I can see this is a different crowd. I've been exposed to a lot of stuff over the years and pass on what I've learned. Like I said YMMV.....

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-14-2001, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

I'm disappointed that we don't have the same ability to test our oil as we do in the aviation world. We routinely (every 25 hours of flight) take engine, transmission, and gear box oil samples and send them to a lab for testing. The test results indicates if there are any contaminates in the oil. The readings from these test dictate what action take. For instants, results of higher then normal amount of metal (ie .005 to .025 parts per million) in the sample indicates wear of a part or could indicate an impending part failure. This type of reading isn't uncommon when a new part is installed.

New parts tend to wear a bit when they break in. The level of metals in the sample tend to rise. We generally replace the oil at a scheduled period after a new part is installed.

This same theory may apply to our cars. the break in period on the transmission may cause an elevated level of contaminates, which requires us to get the 15,000 mile oil change.

All my maintenance experience comes as a maintenance test pilot, but if fresh clean oil in the transmission of my aircraft is a good thing, I have to believe that the same goes for my CL-S. I will probably have the tranny serviced when I go in for my 15,000 mile check up.

------------------
2001 CL-S Red/Ebony w/Nav
Old 02-14-2001, 12:58 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gizmo:
I'm disappointed that we don't have the same ability to test our oil as we do in the aviation world. We routinely (every 25 hours of flight) take engine, transmission, and gear box oil samples and send them to a lab for testing. The test results indicates if there are any contaminates in the oil. The readings from these test dictate what action take. For instants, results of higher then normal amount of metal (ie .005 to .025 parts per million) in the sample indicates wear of a part or could indicate an impending part failure. This type of reading isn't uncommon when a new part is installed.

New parts tend to wear a bit when they break in. The level of metals in the sample tend to rise. We generally replace the oil at a scheduled period after a new part is installed.

This same theory may apply to our cars. the break in period on the transmission may cause an elevated level of contaminates, which requires us to get the 15,000 mile oil change.

All my maintenance experience comes as a maintenance test pilot, but if fresh clean oil in the transmission of my aircraft is a good thing, I have to believe that the same goes for my CL-S. I will probably have the tranny serviced when I go in for my 15,000 mile check up.

</font>
A little difference in utility... if your plane's engine quits you got MAJOR problems. If your car engine quits you call Acura Roadside Service. Who can you call at 10,000 feet? Piper Airside Assistance?

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 02-14-2001, 01:07 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gizmo:
I'm disappointed that we don't have the same ability to test our oil as we do in the aviation world. We routinely (every 25 hours of flight) take engine, transmission, and gear box oil samples and send them to a lab for testing. The test results indicates if there are any contaminates in the oil. The readings from these test dictate what action take. For instants, results of higher then normal amount of metal (ie .005 to .025 parts per million) in the sample indicates wear of a part or could indicate an impending part failure. [.....]
</font>
I read in Motor Trend (or Car&driver )that there is a lab that does the same for your CLS fluids... I need to dig it up for you.

------------------
Old 02-14-2001, 01:39 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Here is the link :
http://www.titancheckup.com/

------------------
Old 02-14-2001, 01:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

all of u are lucky. i'm the only dumbass to pay $325 for my 15k service !
and they still didn't balance the tires right. i had to go back to get them ALL re-balanced.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 02-16-2001, 03:51 AM
jit
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by YuppieCL:
all of u are lucky. i'm the only dumbass to pay $325 for my 15k service !
and they still didn't balance the tires right. i had to go back to get them ALL re-balanced.
</font>
$325 for 15k??? my dealer offered me a maintenance program for i think around $650. It covers all sched. maintenance (3750 oil change, 15, 30, 45 and 60k services) for 60k / 4 yrs
Old 02-16-2001, 01:32 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Come to California dealerships ! I paid 379.99 for my 15K service. However, they give me a brand new RL Loaner, instead of the POS rentals. They had to order a part, therefore I had the car for 3 days. They take care of me because "CASH TALKS AND BULLSHIT WALKS" ! When you have.....enjoy it and spend it !
Nuff said !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 02-16-2001, 01:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ya got be to kidding.....

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-16-2001, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Yikes!

I can't believe some of you have changed the tranny oil at 15k.

I'm almost speechless. It's a good thing because words like 'moron' comes to mind.

Nuff said.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:47 PM
Instructor

ok, to all those that changed their tranny fluid at 15K............why?