The true character of CL

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2001, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The true character of CL

I think there are many guys in this forum who doesn't quite understand what the CL was designed for. In my opinion, CL is not a sport car but rather a semi-luxury GT (grand touring) cruiser. That's why CL doesn't offer 6 speed manual and has very comfortable ride. Let's face it, CL shares exact same mechanical layout with the 4 door family sedan TL. Getting rid of two doors doesn't make any car suddenly a sport car. Even with the Type S option, it falls short to be a serious contender.

Although CL has decent power and handling, its front wheel drive layout and average handling (even for Type S) cannot qualifies CL to be a real sport car. There are many "sportY" cars with front wheel drive layout but not a single real sport car out there with FWD and never will. While most Japanese cars are FWD for its efficiency, all of their serious sport cars always have been either RWD or AWD, just look at 300Z, Supra, Skyline, NSX, Lancer Evo VII and RX7.

Although CL is an excellent mid-priced GT cruiser with well balanced layout, a real sport car fan will laugh at anything that has FWD layout. I personally think that all the modification on the header, exhaust, suspension and tire can upset the CL's true original character and create something neither a fine GT cruiser nor a true sport car. That's just my personal opinion and I know that people can do whatever they want to do with their own car.

Some people are even talking about adding a supercharger to CL. Although it may be possible to raise the hp to over 300, how the hell they gonna put all the power to the front wheel? Have they ever heard about the term "torque steer" or even "out of control"? It gonna make the CL into a some kind of freak. If someone is so into the mod, he or she should bought the rear wheel drive IS300 (especially with the new 5 speed manual) which has potential to be something really special.

So stop wasting time and money to change CL into something it was not meant to be. It's a damn fine GT coupe and just enjoy as it is.

------------------
2001 CL Type S, Navi, Silver, Spoiler
Old 06-05-2001, 11:58 PM
Team Owner

I sort of agree.
Some of these guys would be better suited with an old Mustang GT for a “project” car.

But the Front Wheel Drive Legend Coupe came with 230HP 5 & 6 speed models and I thought it was MUCH more luxury orientated.

Shawn S

------------------
Make me an offer….It’s FOR SALE when the 6-Speed MANUAL comes out, I HATE the SLUSH SHIFT !!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 06-06-2001, 12:08 AM
Drifting

You are entitled to your own opinion.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Luxnite:
I think there are many guys in this forum who doesn't quite understand what the CL was designed for. In my opinion, CL is not a sport car but rather a semi-luxury GT (grand touring) cruiser. That's why CL doesn't offer 6 speed manual and has very comfortable ride. Let's face it, CL shares exact same mechanical layout with the 4 door family sedan TL. Getting rid of two doors doesn't make any car suddenly a sport car. Even with the Type S option, it falls short to be a serious contender.

Although CL has decent power and handling, its front wheel drive layout and average handling (even for Type S) cannot qualifies CL to be a real sport car. There are many "sportY" cars with front wheel drive layout but not a single real sport car out there with FWD and never will. While most Japanese cars are FWD for its efficiency, all of their serious sport cars always have been either RWD or AWD, just look at 300Z, Supra, Skyline, NSX, Lancer Evo VII and RX7.

Although CL is an excellent mid-priced GT cruiser with well balanced layout, a real sport car fan will laugh at anything that has FWD layout. I personally think that all the modification on the header, exhaust, suspension and tire can upset the CL's true original character and create something neither a fine GT cruiser nor a true sport car. That's just my personal opinion and I know that people can do whatever they want to do with their own car.

Some people are even talking about adding a supercharger to CL. Although it may be possible to raise the hp to over 300, how the hell they gonna put all the power to the front wheel? Have they ever heard about the term "torque steer" or even "out of control"? It gonna make the CL into a some kind of freak. If someone is so into the mod, he or she should bought the rear wheel drive IS300 (especially with the new 5 speed manual) which has potential to be something really special.

So stop wasting time and money to change CL into something it was not meant to be. It's a damn fine GT coupe and just enjoy as it is.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 12:33 AM
Rod
Drifting

I agree that it's not a serious sports car, but a semi-luxury GT, but what's wrong with customizing it to ones taste and increasing performance a bit by adding i/h/e and other mods?
Old 06-06-2001, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

</font>
I suppose someone probably once said that people are wasting their time modifying Civics and Integras.
What does AEM's drag Civic do in the 1/4 miles again? Could you remind me? Oh yeah... it's in the 8s!!

Don't get me wrong... I don't ever expect to see a CL in the 8s... or even the 10s for that matter (although the latter is at least possible). But what is important is that people be allowed to do whatever they want with a car.

You apparently can't seem to imagine why people want to modify the CL. I can't imagine why you care what other people do with their cars.
Old 06-06-2001, 01:40 AM
Racer

I agree for the most part but the Integra Type R is a sports car IMO and it is FWD. I had one for a couple months. Handling, acceleration, and braking are all excellent.
Old 06-06-2001, 02:41 AM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by frederix:
I agree for the most part but the Integra Type R is a sports car IMO and it is FWD. I had one for a couple months. Handling, acceleration, and braking are all excellent.</font>
"While most Japanese cars are FWD for its efficiency, all of their serious sport cars always have been either RWD or AWD, just look at 300Z, Supra, Skyline, NSX, Lancer Evo VII and RX7.

Although CL is an excellent mid-priced GT cruiser with well balanced layout, a real sport car fan will laugh at anything that has FWD layout. "

get your story straight, can a FWD car be a sports car or not? IMO VW corrado VR6 was a FWD sports car.

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 06-06-2001, 10:30 AM
Banned

I would have to agree with Lux. There was someone on here who put 19" wheels on and wondered why he ran a 15.9 something in the quarter. Well duh... those things are heavy as stone. Same with lowering. The car was not designed for that. You spend what... $28,000 for a non nav CL-S, $300 (?) for new springs, maybe a few other mods and you can easily approach the price of a 325ci... some of you are approaching the price of a 330ci. Why not just get the 325/330ci? I don't understand. No matter what you do you will not get the performance of a 3xx. The car is just too heavy. Cross drilled rotors? Pointless. You save maybe a pound. Just my opinion, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:27 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

</font>

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:42 AM
SatinCL

Rare occasions I'll express a pointed opinion......

I once heard a quote that the CL is everything the previous generation T-Bird should have been. I never could agree more.

I truly believe this car was built to cater to the same audience who would have bought (or wants to buy) C70's, CLK's (non-AMG), old SC300/400's, etc.....but were out of reach or too expensive to justify. In other words, a Touring Coupe alternative at a clearance price.

The fact that it's got balls (CL-P or especially the CL-S)makes it blur that niche placement a bit. The price makes it also cross lines that allows one to stretch for it.

I agree though with both sides. I too recognize that its not a "sports" car but it has soul.......no matter what these jackasses at the car rags say. The fact I like it so much (unusually so) I want to make it better.

Without sounding "preachy", alot of us do things for what it does for "me"....not you. So, if we have a relationship with our cars, and customising even a Town Car makes ME happy......then so be it.

------------------
Ken
'01 Satin Silver CL-P
Performance: Headers, K&N Drop-In, Comptech Springs/Sways, 17" Borbet T's & Eagle RS-A's.
Other: Flaps, X-Pel Clear Bra, Cannon Mats, & Burlwood Shift Knob.

Worst Stock GTech: 7.15
Current G-Tech (2/11): 6.33

[This message has been edited by Satin01CL (edited 06-06-2001).]

Old 06-06-2001, 12:16 PM
Drifting

Because maybe we wanted to buy the CL-S. If I bought a 330ci..I would modify that also..and my cost would be close to an M3. I bought the car because I liked the way it looked, and had power. I dont think its a bad thing to go out and buy Headers and intake IMO. Its not like I'm going to go autocrossing with the car. You guys need to relax and not bring points like this up. There are a good amount of people here that have modified their car. Everyone should do what they want to do. Having a post like that makes me think of my father.

Spiro
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scorpius:
I would have to agree with Lux. There was someone on here who put 19" wheels on and wondered why he ran a 15.9 something in the quarter. Well duh... those things are heavy as stone. Same with lowering. The car was not designed for that. You spend what... $28,000 for a non nav CL-S, $300 (?) for new springs, maybe a few other mods and you can easily approach the price of a 325ci... some of you are approaching the price of a 330ci. Why not just get the 325/330ci? I don't understand. No matter what you do you will not get the performance of a 3xx. The car is just too heavy. Cross drilled rotors? Pointless. You save maybe a pound. Just my opinion, but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 12:23 PM
Banned

Your father is a great man.

------------------
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
"How do you expect your date to turn over if your engine doesn't?" -Original
Proud member of "I didn't hit the curb like a dope and scratch my rims" club.
Old 06-06-2001, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sort of agree with Lux......Modding the car to make it into what was not intended by design, is stupid. (Buy the car you are trying to make the CL into in the 1st place.) On the other hand, certain mods make the CL series better at what it WAS intended to be; a serious sports/GT coupe that hauls ass in comfort. That said, I'm glad I put the sways on..........much less FWD nose heavy feel and much better handling. I'm sure people on this board who have gone the spring/shock/header route would agree that their mods just improve the car. I don't think that adding the above makes it cost prohibitive--still well below a BMW price comparably equipped. Besides, BMW owners do mods too.....jacking the price even higher!

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Comptech Sways, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 06-06-2001, 12:34 PM
Drifting

He is

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scorpius:
Your father is a great man.

</font>

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-06-2001, 01:14 PM
Instructor

</font>
Gonna have to agree here. I only us mt CL type S if it's raining or snow outside. Other than that most of my time is spent behind the wheel of my other car.

------------------
2001 CL Type S Fast
1993 Mazda RX7 Faster
1999 Honda CBR900rr Fastest
Old 06-06-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro

honestly...i think everyone on this board knew already that the cl or cl-s is not a true sports car to begin w/...but let 'em do what they want with their own $$$ and their own car...as long as no one messes w/ my ride...i'm a happy camper
Old 06-06-2001, 02:44 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some people who just smoke a lot of dope and then there are some who smoke way to much dope and then write posts on this board, trying to pontificate on the finer points of what is and isn't a sports car. Isn't the purpose of modding is to make the car something that it isn't? People who used to mod out those old Nomad station wagons and put in 355 engines and shit. It's still a station wagon but how can you not call it sporty? Do some more mods to it and you'd have a SPORTS car. That is, the car isn't only driven for hauling shit around but it's driven for SPORT, for FUN, for qausi-racing and some type of competition. Afterall isn't SPORT based on some level of competition?

Look at the Bentley Arnage.
Horsepower: 400 hp @ 4000 rpm
Torque: 619 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm
Drive Type: RWD

IS that a sports car in your book? The CLS is a sport coupe, luxary sport coupe or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Point being that a car is and can be whatever you want it to be. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder......

------------------
'01 Silver CL-Type S
!BEWARE THE SILVER SWORD!
Old 06-06-2001, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

I totally agree that people are free to do all the upgrade to their CL and I'm not saying it's a "wrong" thing to do. I really understand the urge to make our cars even faster and better. Believe me, all the upgrade tricks like header, suspension, exhaust and intake, I've been there and done that years ago on my previous cars. But the cruel fact is that all those things are mainly for brief self satisfaction only and none of them will really improve car to the next level unless you spend crazy amount of money. People can easily get carried away and ending up spending hundreds or even thousands of dollar on their car.

Nobody will drive their car forever, sooner or later they will have to sell their car. When they do, it is hardly unlikely to get their investment money back because used cars are usually valued based on the blue book price. No matter how much upgrade the car has, they will be lucky to get 10% out of the upgrade investment when they sell the car. It is also true that most buyers WILL NOT buy heavily modified used cars because all the modification mean only one thing, the car was driven very hard and mostly likely messed up inside.

Also remember that cars are very fragile thing and it can easily be crashed, totaled or stolen. When that unfortunate event happens, your insurance company will not cover any extra upgrades on your car, not a single dime!

If people spend thousands of dollar worth of upgrades, it will easily make their CL price to over $35,000 level or even close to $40,000. It would be so much wiser to save all the money and just buy a better car, like 330ci or even basic Corvette if they are so into the performance thing.

------------------
Old 03-11-2005, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Luxnite
I totally agree that people are free to do all the upgrade to their CL and I'm not saying it's a "wrong" thing to do. I really understand the urge to make our cars even faster and better. Believe me, all the upgrade tricks like header, suspension, exhaust and intake, I've been there and done that years ago on my previous cars. But the cruel fact is that all those things are mainly for brief self satisfaction only and none of them will really improve car to the next level unless you spend crazy amount of money. People can easily get carried away and ending up spending hundreds or even thousands of dollar on their car.

Nobody will drive their car forever, sooner or later they will have to sell their car. When they do, it is hardly unlikely to get their investment money back because used cars are usually valued based on the blue book price. No matter how much upgrade the car has, they will be lucky to get 10% out of the upgrade investment when they sell the car. It is also true that most buyers WILL NOT buy heavily modified used cars because all the modification mean only one thing, the car was driven very hard and mostly likely messed up inside.

Also remember that cars are very fragile thing and it can easily be crashed, totaled or stolen. When that unfortunate event happens, your insurance company will not cover any extra upgrades on your car, not a single dime!

If people spend thousands of dollar worth of upgrades, it will easily make their CL price to over $35,000 level or even close to $40,000. It would be so much wiser to save all the money and just buy a better car, like 330ci or even basic Corvette if they are so into the performance thing.

------------------

true, but never say never

if u can afford the upgrade and it meets ur satifactory needs why not, its a matter of prefrence and uniqueness. it sets u from the rest. its just like those celebrities that takes a car and just remodify it. it becomes a collection item,
if u can afford it go ahead, if u cant , (i think u know the answer to that.......)

Collectors item/uniqueness = one of a kind.

for example jay leno has a car with a armour tank engine in it, or the guy from FEAR FACTOR that has a chevy fwd modified to be a rear wheel drive with about a claimed HP of 1000. dont ask me what is the use of it?????????

it a matter of what u want.>>>
Old 03-11-2005, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

If you’re gonna bump a four year old thread, at least have a good reason.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I was wondering why no one remarked about the 6-speed tranny offering.

Woops, didn't realize the thread was closed.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luxnite

------------------

we must be distance relatives or something.

I agree 100% on what your saying. Said it 100 times on here.

And I 100% agree /w shawn. Most of these guys should own a sunday project car thats not FWD for the track...