Tried to buy a 2003 CL-S today (3-8-03)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 01:59 PM
CL 6 speeder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura allocated 2700 6speeds for 2003 model. Because of the very low sales of CLs they are not where near running out of 6 speed transmissions for CLs. They still make them. The dealers are just gun shy of ordering new CLs. Search for a dealer who is hungry who will work with you.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:05 PM
CL 6 speeder

Using the term "sucker" was not appropriate. I apoligize. It does get a bit frustrating how much buyers are not willing to do their homework and work for what they want. I was not "lucky". I knew the facts and talked with half a dozen dealers for over a week to get a car ordered from allocation. In the end four dealerships offered to do just that.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:13 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Originally posted by joeandcarol2
Using the term "sucker" was not appropriate. I apoligize. It does get a bit frustrating how much buyers are not willing to do their homework and work for what they want. I was not "lucky". I knew the facts and talked with half a dozen dealers for over a week to get a car ordered from allocation. In the end four dealerships offered to do just that.
I just reread his original post. The dealer seemed willing to sell him a car, he just wasnt willing to commit so i blame it all on him

As for your comment on 6pds being available, I agree with that, you just have to be willing to look. he wanted the car to magically be there and had no patience.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:22 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a new car should have 10 or fewer miles on the odometer! Mine either had 7 or 10...don't remember. New cars should have a few (3-10) because they have to move them off the assembly line, onto the truck, off the truck and around the lot. Plus I'm sure the cars are tested for alignment and what not. Now if the have to swap cars with another dealership then you might get an additional number of miles (although they might also truck the car in).
Old 03-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by sarlacc23
I hope that wink means you're joking cause that just is not true.
Bahahahaha....you mean there's no test track in Marysville?

Of course I'm kidding!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:26 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by tmk70
Bahahahaha....you mean there's no test track in Marysville?

Of course I'm kidding!!!
Actually there is a test track, but i cant remember if its there or in liberty.

Ferrizo: A test is usually 5-10 miles. MOST people that test drive dont buy right away. So the car goes back to the lot where it gets test driven some more. If the car was never traded then I'd say 50mile is acceptable. But anymore with out a dealer trade and I'd question a to why the car was on the lot for so long just being driven.

But remember dealers keep demos till 6K then turn around ad sell them, and not at that much of a discount either.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:48 PM
still a Masshole

sarlacc23...I wasn't talking about a test drive from a customer perspective. I test drove three TLSs before I bought mine and none of them were the one I bought. You usually test drive a demo car (as you noted) and not the one you are going to buy. I definitely wouldn't buy a demo car!

I am talking a new car not a used car.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:57 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by ferizzo
sarlacc23...I wasn't talking about a test drive from a customer perspective. I test drove three TLSs before I bought mine and none of them were the one I bought. You usually test drive a demo car (as you noted) and not the one you are going to buy. I definitely wouldn't buy a demo car!

I am talking a new car not a used car.
A demo car is a new car used by an employee of the dealership to drive in a personal transportation. A perk some dealerships provide.

Sales people try and put you in the very car you are trying to buy. I have never heard of a dealership reserving "test drive" vehicles unless a new car comes out and they dont have a lot to begin with so they keep one till they get more so people can try it. Now not everyone is a buy right away kind of person so that car goes back on the lot to try and sell to someone else.

When you are test driving a car and you are serious about buying you drive basically the exact car you want. you get the VIN off that vehicle you drove, you make the deal and when you take delivery of the car you make sure the vin you wrote down matches the car. If it doesnt then they did something called bait and switch (selling a more expensive car with more options and trying to give you a cheaper one) and its illegal. Lots of domestic dealers try this tactic and its disgusting.

So to respond to what you are saying, you test drive the car you are going to buy, unless they have to order the one you want cause they dont have particualr color/trim /etc. and even then you test that car when it comes in just to be sure. Dealers dont have specified "test drive cars"

and there is nothing wrong with buying a demo. Youve bought a car that has been thorugh the break in period and had its first oil change and you if you know how to buy a car you can make a great deal on it. My parents called me the other week, they made a steal of a deal buying a demo RX300.

I've said it before I'll say it again, I've sold cars specifically honda/acura i know how they work i know how the game it played.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:38 PM
I now drive an accord....

Well good news for me...........I got a call from the dealership saying that they are going to make arrangments for one that is 90 miles away and has 110 miles on it. I didn't want one with more than 30 miles on it but I don't think I have much of a choice this late in the game. I made them include the cost to truck the car in to their lot in my final price which was right at true market value. I should be taking delivery on the 21st
Old 03-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you should use the mileage it has on it to get something thrown in like wheel locks or something nicer....a MT with that mileage could have been abused, but probably having seen the decent types of people acura gets to test drive their cars GOOD LUCK you will love it !!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:58 AM
still a Masshole

Oh well, All I know is that I drove three and they all had some miles on it (meaning they were all test driven a few times). I'm willing to bet that most who bought their TLs/CLs new test drove another vehicle and not the one they actually took home.

Same deal with my Fiancee's accord. She test drove two and took home a new one. Both times we looked at the car we bought but drove a different car (similar model).

Yeah you can get a decent deal on a demo but do I want a car that was potentially abused during break-in? When I test drove one of the TLS (actually a CLS) I was gunning it and spinning the tires on the test drive. I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one pushing that car on test drives. When I got mine I babied it upto 700 miles before I punched it.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:25 PM

I feel confident that I won't have any problems with a car that has 100 miles on it. If I do then that is what a warrenty and loaner car is for, and after the warrenty is up if I have problems I will trade it in on the car that I like at that time.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rosenthall has one of the black CLS 6speed just sitting in the show room. I saw it yesterday
Old 03-12-2003, 01:27 PM

I live between york and harrisburg PA and they said they were getting it from a dealer 90 miles away so Im not sure where they are getting it from
Old 03-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

That is untrue, just because you put the 500 down does not mean you have signed a contract or a buyers order. It has not prevented you from doing anything such as still haggling the price. You can reclaim your 500 anytime you wish, they cannot tell you no. Just keep your receipt make sure it says its for a deposit. If by some chance you get some swarmy dealership that tries to lie and say you forfeit that 500, then tell them to go fuckthemsleves and dispute the charge on your credit card. Yes use a credit card for the deposit. if they wont take a credit a card then no, dont leave a deposit period.

All the 500 is doing is telling a dealer that you are serious about buying a car from them. It can be a pain in the ass doing a dealer trade specially if you have to start looking from other states and what not and the deaership doesnt want to waste their time if they get it and then person doesnt want it, now they are stuck with a car they didnt want to begin with. Granted it may sell right away to someone, or it might not.

If theyll do a trade for you without a deposit, hey thats great you found a good dealership, but most require a deposit. Most dealerships are all about commitment, pay attention next time you buy a car all the sales rep is trying to do is get you to commit to the car in some form or fashion. You want them to do something for you, its unreasonable for them ask for a little commitment out of you.
To clarify, I was not talking about a trade. I was talking about the act of looking up the the Big Acura Computer (tm) for a car like you want. That should not require a $500 deposit. Of course, I do not expect them to go get said vehicle or perform a dealer trade with that vehicle until the deal is in progress or done.

In my case, they didn't have what I wanted and it wasn't on their upcoming allocation. I went back a week or so later to start the process of "ordering" one, and which time they said, "What if we can get you one in 48 hours?" In other words, they looked it up, all without a penny changing hands. Once they verified it wasn't sold or otherwise reserved, we completed the deal, they did a dealer trade and that was that. There was a token deposit once we got that far and before I picked up the car, but NOT to look it up in the system.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:08 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Stock03CLS
To clarify, I was not talking about a trade. I was talking about the act of looking up the the Big Acura Computer (tm) for a car like you want. That should not require a $500 deposit. Of course, I do not expect them to go get said vehicle or perform a dealer trade with that vehicle until the deal is in progress or done.

In my case, they didn't have what I wanted and it wasn't on their upcoming allocation. I went back a week or so later to start the process of "ordering" one, and which time they said, "What if we can get you one in 48 hours?" In other words, they looked it up, all without a penny changing hands. Once they verified it wasn't sold or otherwise reserved, we completed the deal, they did a dealer trade and that was that. There was a token deposit once we got that far and before I picked up the car, but NOT to look it up in the system.
I agree with you.

But the first thing most dealers will reply with is "whats the point of even looking if you arent definately buying?" Just the way they are the way they are trained to be.

Plus if the computer shows another place as having the car, they still have to call and make sure the car hasnt been sold or traded to someone else. the system is not immeadiately updated. So its leads back to "whats the point if you arent really buying?" Dealers usually dont even want customers seeing the info from those computers cause then keep asking annoying questions about every dealer that is listed with that car.

It works both ways, the dealership is a pain in the ass to deal with, but so are 99% of the customers.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:15 PM
still a Masshole

I agree with you.

But the first thing most dealers will reply with is "whats the point of even looking if you arent definately buying?" Just the way they are the way they are trained to be.

Plus if the computer shows another place as having the car, they still have to call and make sure the car hasnt been sold or traded to someone else. the system is not immeadiately updated. So its leads back to "whats the point if you arent really buying?" Dealers usually dont even want customers seeing the info from those computers cause then keep asking annoying questions about every dealer that is listed with that car.

It works both ways, the dealership is a pain in the ass to deal with, but so are 99% of the customers.
Yeah but don't forget that the customer is always right :P
Old 03-12-2003, 04:58 PM
The Third Ball

Yeah but don't forget that the customer is always right :P
well to quote a film i like:
"the customer is always an asshole!"
Old 03-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh well, All I know is that I drove three and they all had some miles on it (meaning they were all test driven a few times). I'm willing to bet that most who bought their TLs/CLs new test drove another vehicle and not the one they actually took home.

Same deal with my Fiancee's accord. She test drove two and took home a new one. Both times we looked at the car we bought but drove a different car (similar model).

Yeah you can get a decent deal on a demo but do I want a car that was potentially abused during break-in? When I test drove one of the TLS (actually a CLS) I was gunning it and spinning the tires on the test drive. I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one pushing that car on test drives. When I got mine I babied it upto 700 miles before I punched it.

I test-drove a silver CL-S with like 5k on it. I loved it, so I told the salesman to get me a brand new one in silver with a spoiler, and we'd have a deal. It had 20.9 miles on it when I picked it up.

My '98 3.2 TL-P had 16 miles on it when I picked it up. I had to wait a week for the one I wanted (Silver) to be delivered, and then it was delivered to the wrong dealer.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:05 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Mine had 11 miles on it then the tranny went out at 9k.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by TypeS_boi
Mine had 11 miles on it then the tranny went out at 9k.
Auto or 6 speed
Old 03-13-2003, 10:00 AM
still a Masshole

Funny, but thats the way most of us feel about the salesman! Do you still sell cars?

well to quote a film i like:
"the customer is always an asshole!"
Old 03-13-2003, 10:15 AM
The Third Ball

Funny, but thats the way most of us feel about the salesman! Do you still sell cars?
Nope, as soon as I made enough money to move out to LA i quit. It was only an intermediary after college to earn some real cash.

And you're right i dont like most car sales people either, but now that ive sold i know how to diffuse them. especially the no nothing puppets. But once in awhile you find a diamond in teh rough who is a really good person to work with.