Transmission nightmare! Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission nightmare! Please read!

Hello my CL family!
Please read all of this, for what I’m about to tell you is so true, nightmarish, and so very serious that I wouldn’t want anyone to go through what I just went through!!
I have a 2003 Cl-S. (Automatic with over 100k). One day while driving to work, my car started to sputter (As if I got a hold of some bad gas or it was slipping out of gear). I stopped the car, moved the stick up and down through the gears, and proceeded to drive, however 1 minute into my drive it started to sputter again, then the RPM’s ran to 7k and I wasn’t going anywhere. I knew just then my tranny just took a sh*t!! (So far, I’m sure this story sounds familiar to who ever has replaced /repaired their tranny). So I parked the car, and started looking around for a tranny expert. I called everyone from the mom and pop places to the big brothers of the business, which in this case was AAMCO Transmission. (Have you heard of them? They’ve only been around since the 60’s).
Now I called about 5 to 6 mom & pop stores which all gave me a price for a rebuild tranny from $1300 to $1500.00 from what I told them was wrong with the car, I then called AAMCO. (BIG MISTAKE)!!!

Please stay with me!!!
Let’s call this guy Raul the Center Manager in Miami. He told me that he would come and pick up the car via Tow Truck and drive it down to Miami. (I live a little less than 100 miles from the shop), but he said he would do it for free, and do the diagnoses for free. If I didn’t go with his shop for the repair / replace, he would only charge me for the towing which would be less than $100 bucks. I said cool, that sounded fair. So he got it towed to the shop. His Tec ran the car around the block. (It left him stranded twice like I told him would happen), and his Tec stated to me that all my clutches were bad, my tranny was shot and the filters were clogged. He advised me he needed to rebuild the tranny. I went inside, talked with Raul and asked him what the damage would be. He the processed to tell me he couldn’t give me that price. He said it would cost $690.00 + tax to drop the tranny, look inside and then they could tell me what’s really wrong with it. Once they find out, he then can tell me what the price would be to rebuild it, however if I didn’t do the job with him, then all I had to pay was the $690.00 for the opening of the tranny and put it back together so I could take it to another shop. I told him that was ridiculous. What if he opens it and tells me it’s over $2300.00. Then I’m stuck. He laughed and said “that would never happen”. So I said, ok, then tell me what I’m looking at ball park/worst case scenario. He then again said he couldn’t do that because he didn’t know. I said well your Tec just told me I needed all new clutches (22 of them), new steels (what ever the f*ck that is), new filters, and oil. So with that being said, give me a price for that much and the labor. He said “I can do that”. Punched some sh*t into his computer and said to me, your looking at $1350.00. (Now, in my mind that sounded good, because I remember, I just called about 5-6 small mom & pop garages and they quoted me the same sh*t). So I called my dad (who’s been a mechanic for like the past 25yrs), and two of my boys (who are into cars like we all are) just to get some input about this matter. We all came to the conclusion to leave the car and let them do their thing. I signed the invoice for $690.00 and left. (This is were you can grab some toilet paper because your about to take a sh*t). PLEASE READ! STAY WITH ME! PLEASE!!
I called Raul the next day (Friday) to see what’s up with my car. He said he wasn’t able to tell me yet. His Tec just dropped the tranny, but hasn’t really cracked it open yet. He claimed he would have an answer for me on Monday. So I waited out the weekend driving around my Dads Ford (old azz) Explorer.]
Monday came and I called Raul in the morning. He requested that I follow up with him that afternoon were he should have an answer. So I waited till 12am. Called him back and he put me on hold to grab my paper work. When he got back on the phone he told me I needed new clutches, the steels, (which are like washers), new filters, new banner kit, new linear solenoid, new torque convertor, new pressure switch black, and new pressure switch brown. (What ever the fu*k that is). Grand total for rebuild: $2900.00!!!! $2900.00 dollars! $2900.00 FU*KING DOLLARS PEOPLE!!! I told him WTF Raul. I thought you told me it wasn’t going to cost more that $1350.00. WTF! He said this, that, and the other were I told him I wasn’t going to do the repair with him. He said well then, I needed to still pay him $900.00, because they opened the tranny and the labor that was involved and they have to put the old one back together. I told him I could get a brand new tranny from Acura for $2100.00 and would buy that and have his guy just drop it back in my car. He said I still needed to pay the $900.00, because they still have to put the old tranny back together again. I told him no he didn’t, and wasn’t born yesterday. I would pick up the old tranny and put it into my Explorer. He said I still had to pay $900.00 because its policy they have to put the old tranny back together again, plus another $350.00 to install the new tranny. I told him I would call him back and hung up the phone. I left work taking 4 hours out of my PTO to go and talk to this fool. I went to Acura with $2100.00 cash. Paid the cashier. Parts guy told me to drive to the back and pick up the tranny, but when I did that, they told me, Oops! We don’t have it, but it will be here tomorrow. (Apparently someone didn’t log in their inventory correctly..Classic). So what ever, I have to wait a day. So raced down to Miami, (Which has insane traffic BTW), and talked with Raul. I got my cousin there so I could have some back and we began to try and negotiate his cost down or at the very least his cost to install my new tranny from Acura, however this motha fu*ker wouldn’t budge for nothing. Why would I pay $2900.00 for a rebuild tranny with aftermarket cheap parts were I could get one from Acura with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty were he was only offering 1 year 12,000 mile warranty. He then said he would match me with the warranty, but I still needed to pay $2900.00. Just as I was about to crack, my cousin told me to step outside and take a walk. He would talk with Raul to see what he can do. So I left. After 10 minutes, my cousin came back with an invoice. He was able to lower it down to $2600.00 with a 3yr-36,000 mile warranty. My cousin told me to take the deal and get it repaired there. If not, I was going to be forced to pay the $900.00 + $300.00 for the install of the new Acura tranny. After much b*tching and complaining into the air, I went inside, made him circle the $2600.00 new price and agreement and we both signed it and I left. I requested that he let me hold my old torque convertor and linear solenoid. (I just didn’t trust him and felt he would just flush these out and reuse them with out me knowing). I called him the next day, were he told me it was done and I could come and pick it up. I again, took ½ day from work and raced down to Miami. I went into Raul’s office were he printed out the invoice, and can you believe this guy gave me an invoice for $2850.00. I said, Raul. We signed, agreed, and shook on it that it would only be $2600.00. WTF is this bro?!?!? He said the price we agreed upon was a sub total and didn’t include tax. I told him “well were about to have a misunderstanding bro”. We argued and went back and forth for about 20 freaking minutes. “I told him look Raul. We circled $2600.00. I brought it in cash and this was all I had. So now what Raul? You need to keep my car till I come up with the rest? Charge me a holding fee? Call the cops? What”? We literally stared at each other for 2 minutes. The longest 2 minutes ever in my whole life. He finally cracked and told me fine. I gave him the money and requested an invoice and receipt of payment. He told me his printer was down and couldn’t do that, however when the car was ready he would have it in the car along with the warranty. I said wait! The cars not even ready Raul. He said no, but would later this evening it should be. I just laughed and walked out. As I left I did something that I regret. I gave him back the old torque convertor and linear solenoid. I went to work, called him later that evening were he said the car would be ready tomorrow morning. I called him the next day and he told me it was ready. I left work again early again, picked up my wife so she could drive the SUV back home as I followed her with my car. When I got there, he gave me the invoice and on it read (Reconditioned-Torque Convertor $397.00) I asked him if he reused the old convertor but he assured me he didn’t. I asked to see the old one, and what do you know, it was no were to be found. He also was nice enough to add I have (all of a sudden) a broken motor mount which he could replace for $300.00.
I have my car now. It doesn’t feel the same. I’m very sadden about the whole thing. I have this every now and then loud clicking sound coming from my driver side wheel well which I assume is the broken motor mount. I’m almost certain he reused my Torque Convertor, and used garbage parts. I gave him Acura Transmission oil, but he said I was about 3 quarts short so he topped it off. (He probably didn’t even use my oil). I don’t know what to say. I got Fu*ked for $2600.00 and cant do anything about it, which is the purpose of this letter. Please don’t let this happen to you. If you’re going to pay anymore than $1600.00 my suggestion is to go to Acura, buy a new tranny from them. Don’t repair it. It’s just not worth it and its peace of mind that truly is priceless. I really love this car and to think, it will never be the same. It just hurts. Thank you for who ever read this in full.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:54 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
well i got board reading it. skiped a few parts. but 2600, holy fuck. u could have gotten a rebuilt for about 3k from the dealer. if its free, its too good to be true.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I changed your font.I couldn't read that crap. And Cliff notes please!

Also is this U or some mass email letter? Cause it reads like an email letter.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I wonder if this 03 was included in extended warranty
Old 09-19-2009, 04:50 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
i just got mine rebuilt a month ago buy a local guy who does work on the side and works for acura dlr during the day.

1980 CAD... covered everything... trans star tq convert,all new gears, new low hold gear, and new trans mount.

Brought the car to the drag strip to make sure he did a good job...

And yea, I cannot have been more satisfied with how it held up.

I'm sorry for your troubles, but given how complex our trannys are and all the issues this particular tranny has, it'd be in your best interest to find someone who has done it before that you can see their work afterwards.

If you lived up here i'd have hooked u up.

ANYONE in toronto whose tranny dies, gimme a shout I will help you out! just like StonedCL did 4 me.

He saved my bacon.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dam man, thats F'd up! There has to be something you can do...even if its BBB
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
If its AAMCO, then they have a nationwide headquarters. You need to learn the chain of command, if one person can't help you, then there is another who can, then another, and so on till someone high enough up can hear your complaint... That is the beauty of chain places, they have to answer to someone.

File a complaint with the main headquarter and KEEP EVERYTHING DOCUMENTED, and dude, no offense.

Cash is not king anymore. Using a credit card is as good if you make sure to pay it off before accruing any interest and you have all documentation with your credit card company.

Sorry bout your luck
Old 09-19-2009, 09:28 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just paid 3k to have my trans rebuilt with upgraded parts and better torque converer all new solinoids/ and ATF cooler.. and 3/36 warrenty..

Found other places that would do it from 2000-3000 but only ofered 12/12 warrenty and used oem parts to oem spec and oem has not lasted for me!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
BTW a new trans from ACURA is $4100 after my 10% discount for loyalty BS!!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:32 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
^thats unless u dont have a hook up
Old 09-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Whoa, I have a bunch of questions to answer. 1st answer to Fuzzy. I wrote this on Microsoft Word so I could do spell check and pasted it to here. It’s not a chain email. This is really me. Like I said, I’m just trying to warn my fellow Acura fam. 2nd answer to Easymoney. I actually checked the BBB on this shop and he was the only one rated A-. All the other AAMCOs were rated D+ to F-. I thought he was a trusted shop. As we all know now, I was wrong. Now to Pits200, ya, my cousin suggested that I look for the AAMCO HQ’s and do the same thing. You know what they say; “the squeaky wheel gets the oil”. I’m going to do what I can to try and recoup some money. Something. About the cash thing, I know. That was pretty dumb. I didn’t put it into my bank account because I was going to try and talk him down by showing him $2100.00 cash, but after he tried me with a $2800.00 invoice after we just agreed on $2600.00, I was left with no choice. To StonedCL I promise you, I really bought a tranny from Acura for $2100.00 with 3/36. This is tax and all, however this isn’t installed. I was hoping I could convince Raul to install it for me for $300.00-$500.00 bucks.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Waits for Shakira in his

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DAM that was alot of reading
but I really hope that doesnt happen to me, sorry for the bad experience
Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Advanced

lol! i know its alot of reading, but like i said, hope it helps so no one goes through what i just went through.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats some f-up shit right there. You can go on the BAR website (bureau of automotive) and make a complaint. Hopefully theyll respond and send in a fake car that they KNOW works correctly.

If that asshole gets caught, they fine him 10K for every job he has ever done that he fucked up on. Hopefully that closes his scamming ass down
Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
BTW a new trans from ACURA is $4100 after my 10% discount for loyalty BS!!
Was that with new ECU? I was quoted originally (with no discounts) $3500 without ECU. I'd figured because it was not your first transmission you would not need ECU?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Usually you get a discount if you give them back your old broken transmission, they call it core charge. I was quoted by Acura $3500 for transmission job without ECU, ECU is another $1000. It makes sense that transmission is around $2000, the rest is labor.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:16 PM
B A N N E D

$4100 was just for tranny and torque converter and install. I called acura corperate and they would not do anything to help me got a case # and tried talking to 2 supervisers. I even told them if they can pick up 40-50% I would pay $2500 and they said flat out no! I explained I. Ought this car new and my family is leasing 2 acura and they said I am on my own. I guess prices vary on where u live. I did lots of reading and found many people a acura did 50/50 where the. Customer paid 2k. There alot of threads out there. Acura picks and chooseS on who they want to help. They would not help me I bought the car new and bought extended warrenty and had it replaced two times by acura and once by rebuilder two months ago in the 9 1/2 years I owned the car.