Tranny Went Bad-Dealership Cheating ME

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Went Bad-Dealership Cheating ME

PLEASE READ!!! PLEASE BEAR WITH ME. I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW AND YOU GUYS ARE THE ONLY PEOPLE TO TURN TO. YOU GUYS ARE LIKE FAMILY TO ME.

So here's my situation. I was affected by the transmission failure last Tuesday, as well as the assholes at the Acura dealership. I have a 01 CL type S Auto. I purchased the car from Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg Maryland in January 2009 with 97K miles.

Last week, I was driving up a slight incline highway at about 40mph, when all of a sudden, the tachometer just went all the way up to almost 7000 rpm, the danger zone(redline) and I knew immediately, I've got transmission problems. After a few seconds, my VSA light, ABS light, (!) light, and the engine light all came on. I pulled into a parking lot and tried to give my car some gas...nothing, wouldn't move.

So here's what happens. Whenever I put the car into a gear like "D5", it won't move immediately, but after about 7 seconds, the car will engage into gear and will move perfectly. When I put the car into (R) reverse to try that, it would back up after 7 seconds, but the one time that i did it, I heard like a loud pop noise.

So I'm thinking, "Okay, everything is fine. The transmission is faulty and I'm covered because I purchased an extended warranty thru Acura when I purchased the car."

I had the car towed to the dealership the following day (Wednesday) and they gave me a loaner car (2010 Acura TSX-Technology Package). I told them there's something wrong with the transmission and they was about to charge me $115 dollars for a diagnostic. I told them I have the warranty and they told me to disregard the diagnostic fee.

Today (Tuesday), almost a week later, the service department calls me back and the first thing they tell me is, "Your extended warranty is expired due to miles." When I purchased the warranty when I first got the car, they told me it was going to be a 2 year warranty for $2,000 dollars. That's all they said. The car will be covered for TWO years. Apparently, the warranty was for 2 years, 24k miles, whichever comes first. THEY NEVER TOLD ME THAT!!!

So, I was like "Aight, tell me how much it is to get the transmission repaired?" The service department said it would cost $5,900 for the WHOLE job. That would include a new transmission and a new ECM computer. So I'm flabergasted at that point. So I asked them, "Why do I need a new computer?" and they said Acura recommends that I get a new computer. So i asked them, "Okay, how much is it to get JUST a new transmission?" and she said that they will not do the transmission job without doing the computer because I will need it in order for the gears to switch correctly.

Here's what pissed me off. I asked her when is the car going to be ready for pickup because they might have to put all of the pieces back together and she said it was already done, they never took ANYTHING apart.

So I'm saying to myself, "how do they say I need a NEW transmission, when they NEVER cracked open my transmission!?!?" If it was something that could have been replaced or repaired, they neglected to do that, and they just say F it, get a whole new transmission. That's why I'm not dealing with the dealership ANYMORE because it seems they are tryna get MONEY out of me!!! Instead of fixing whatever is wrong with the transmission, they just wanna put a NEW one in there. That disgusted me right then and there.

Ontop of that, I found out that the car had a transmission REPLACED last YEAR in 2008, this was BEFORE i purchased the car. How do I argue that point? If they replaced a transmission LAST year, how did it go out that bad?? DO they offer a warranty for something that was put in back in 2008??

So I spoke with Ammco, a nationwide transmission shop and they said they could fix the problem. I asked them if they work on Acura's, cuz you know, our cars have that sportshifter and I know transmission jobs are more tedious because of that technology and they said they have two Acura's being repaired at the moment with the sportshifter tranny. Ammco said both cars have MINOR problems with the tranny and that they don't need NEW transmissions. I'm taking the car there because they said EVEN if i need a new transmission, it wouldn't cost no where NEAR $5,900.

Tomorrow, I'm going to complain to the service manager and tell them how bad their service was, then I'm gonna talk to the general manager and tell them how bad their service department is, then I'm going to contact Acura of America and let them know how bad the dealership was.

My help from you all.

1. If the tranny was replaced in 2008, do I have an argument with that??
Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Couple things man.

1.) They don't tear apart trannys on these cars and fix them so don't get worked up that the dealership is doing something shady. It's not like an engine, if a head gasket went on an engine, yes they would fix that and not just replace the engine. But it's a different case with these trannys.

2.) How many miles are on the car now?

3.) It shouldn't cost $5,900 to fix the tranny.

4.) If the tranny was replaced in 2008, I think there is a 3yr 36k mile warranty on the last replacement.

5.) Take it up with Honda America, call them, give them your vin number and get all the info for your car.

6.) Don't go to Aamco unless it is your last last resort.

7.) Did you ask why they had your car for a week when it should have been an easy diagnostics if it was a busted tranny?

8.) Be nice when you go up the chain of command, it is a new person, they don't know your situation and show that your respectful. Trust me, I know how pissed you are, but the saying, "you get more bees with honey than vinegar"

Good luck
Old 12-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pits200
Couple things man.

1.) They don't tear apart trannys on these cars and fix them so don't get worked up that the dealership is doing something shady. It's not like an engine, if a head gasket went on an engine, yes they would fix that and not just replace the engine. But it's a different case with these trannys.

2.) How many miles are on the car now?

3.) It shouldn't cost $5,900 to fix the tranny.

4.) If the tranny was replaced in 2008, I think there is a 3yr 36k mile warranty on the last replacement.

5.) Take it up with Honda America, call them, give them your vin number and get all the info for your car.

6.) Don't go to Aamco unless it is your last last resort.

7.) Did you ask why they had your car for a week when it should have been an easy diagnostics if it was a busted tranny?

8.) Be nice when you go up the chain of command, it is a new person, they don't know your situation and show that your respectful. Trust me, I know how pissed you are, but the saying, "you get more bees with honey than vinegar"

Good luck
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I figured they could just repair the problem, like if the bands were slipping or something could just be easily replaced. I do know of that whole thing where if someone is going to crack open the tranny, they want some money up front to work on.

2.Its about 124k on the car. When I purchased it, it had 97k.

3. 5,900...thas the same thing i said. I even looked on the Acura OEM website for all of the parts for a transmission and if I bought everything, it would be about 2,000. I wish I knew transmissions, I could do it myself lol.

4. I figured that too about the new tranny they dropped in for the person who owned the car before i did. I'm going to ask them tomorrow when I get there and find out why it went out so bad. I thought trannys replaced WAY after 2001, like any replaced tranny from 2007 and up was good and never gave anyone any more problems??

5. I'll google the website and get the number tonight, thanks so much.

6. lmao. Yeah, so u know about Ammco too. Their pretty high. I'm just tryna find someone who does transmissions and they've done work on the sportshifter tranny. I don't wanna go somewhere and they say they know how to fix it and they don't have a clue. But yeah, I'm shopping around for another transmission place.

7. My friend and I wondered the same thing too. If they just hooked up the computer and pulled some codes, why did it take so long??

8. Yeah that's what my mother said. Just go in there and be nice. I'm never that kind of person. But i will not back down and let them try to get me. But i will be respectful and talk my way through it nicely.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm headed out tomorrow to see what's the deal. Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 574 Likes on 409 Posts
Man Good Luck!!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Thanks a lot. I'm just gonna go in there tomorrow and present them with different evidence of why I think they should replace the tranny. My only hope is to see if the current one from the previous owner still applies.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
IMO it should be replaced free of charge because of the 3 year 36k mile warranty. Simple as that. IMO just call Acura and get them to back you up.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I had mine replaced the 3 tear 36K mile warranty was for me only. It was a non transferable warranty. So I think your SOL on that.

As for $5,900, I think thats what mine was charged as. I only had to pay like $780.00 out of pocket. I was out of warranty by 4 weeks, but they helped me out. Mine was an 01, with 60 to 65k miles.

Your talking about a nine year old car with a 124K miles.

I think Acura has washed their hands of the tranny issues on 2nd gen CLS/TLS. Have not seen any good will jestures lately.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
after all of the court cases regarding honda and acura cars the final warranty came out to be:

7 years 9 months from the "in service date" or 114K miles whichever comes first.

Acura still does good will on their transmissions they are just being more pickey about it. I have issues with my 2008 replacement trans and my dealer said they would extend my coverage for the remainder of the 3/36K warranty that the part would have had if I replaced it. I have a good relationship with my dealer and they are the ONLY people that service my car so I have a clear service history with them. Now I do some of the maint my self such as air cleaners and small things like lights but I let them change any and all fluids and do the major service on the car so that there is no doubt.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I think if they see a developed relationship (or the beginning of one) they are much more apt to work with you. If they think that you are just in to get something for free and be done with them then they won't bother.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Is the dealership that is handling the car now, the same one that you bought the car from??

If you bought the car from a 3rd party then I could see a little leeway on the dealerships side. But they should be fighting for you since you've only had the car for 11 months and 30k miles.

That is bad business if you ask me.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Call Acura corperate and get a claims officer on it. The dealer is not who u talk to, call corperate and have them note your case.

DO NOT GO TO AAMCO!!!!!!!

go on the ATRA website and find someone there
Old 12-30-2009, 09:58 AM
"DD" Designated Drinker

OK, the trans in all the cars are POS. Mine cost 5900, but they have a pay half deal thing if u call HONDA.
Second. replacement trans have a 3 year 36K warranty.
so it might be covered.

I had my replacement check on for free after 6months and they replaced my computer because it was acting up. no big deal i had a warranty and got a new one free. but yes a new trans and computer cost 5900$$$$$$......
mention the 3 year 36K miles replacement warranty or just go on a rampage in there where theres like 5 or more people geting their stuff worked on and raise hell, thats how my friend kim got her 2000 TL trans for free!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Yeah, so as you know, I found out the tranny was replaced back in 2008. I asked her isn't that transmission covered under a 3 year 36k miles and she said no because since it was replaced under the previous owner's extended warranty, that transmission was only a 12 month 12k mile warranty.

Yes, this is the same place where I purchased my car from and I've been taking it there to get all of my service done.

I'm going to call honda of america today.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I would call Honda & deal with them don't deal with the dealer. Let Honda contact them & get them to good will it.
Look your going to pay something so be prepared. They are not replacing these for free. It may be like a 50/50 thing, or one party pays only for labor & the other parts.
And then it's entirely possible that you will be screwed & they won't do anything for you.
The trans requires replacement. Cookie cutter shops like ammaco don't have the ability to rebuild these transmission correctly. Find a used trans somewhere & have a mechanic install it. Then sell the car & get far away from it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Justin's

IM AFRAID OF TRANNYS

But good luck man, thats alot of money, you can buy a second one for that price..
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
i agree that you should call Honda America and go through them.

i feel bad for people who have to pay these bs trannys. good luck, hope they help you out
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigAl3000
Yeah, so as you know, I found out the tranny was replaced back in 2008. I asked her isn't that transmission covered under a 3 year 36k miles and she said no because since it was replaced under the previous owner's extended warranty, that transmission was only a 12 month 12k mile warranty.
Yeah that's kinda crap. I've heard of people getting their transmission replaced under the dealer's warranty, and the 3 year 36k mile warranty was placed on top of that. So they had two warranties going on.

But then again you never know, the previous owner could have been a douche and let them not give him the 3/36 warranty. But since you're gonna call Honda, I'd say something good will definitely come out of it.

The dealer I got my car from is great, they have great customer service and all, but regardless I'd most definitely call Honda/Acura and get them in on it too.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Advanced

I called Honda America and gave them my VIN number. I told them the previous owner in 08 had the tranny replaced. He said it should be under a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. Then he asked me if the previous owner had to pay outta the pocket for a new transmission or did Acura replace it and I told him I wasn't sure. He said that if Acura had replaced it, it wasn't covered under any warranty and if he came outta the pocket with some money, it was covered. He told me to contact the service manager.

So I contacted the service manager and explain the situation with them. She researched it and found out the previous owner had a warranty on it and he paid a 100 dollar deductable, which means, he paid something towards it. She said she was going to contact Honda America and find out if I can get a new tranny. She said I should get a new tranny thru this method, but very relieved I don't have to come out of the pocket.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
No Acura dealer will open a automatic transmission. For that matter not even Nissan/Infiniti or Lexus do. It's cheaper and more cost effective for the dealers just to swap the transmissions out with a re-manufactured one.

And the ECU does not need replacing. That is the first time I ever heard of such BS.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I figured they could just repair the problem, like if the bands were slipping or something could just be easily replaced. I do know of that whole thing where if someone is going to crack open the tranny, they want some money up front to work on.

2.Its about 124k on the car. When I purchased it, it had 97k.

3. 5,900...thas the same thing i said. I even looked on the Acura OEM website for all of the parts for a transmission and if I bought everything, it would be about 2,000. I wish I knew transmissions, I could do it myself lol.

4. I figured that too about the new tranny they dropped in for the person who owned the car before i did. I'm going to ask them tomorrow when I get there and find out why it went out so bad. I thought trannys replaced WAY after 2001, like any replaced tranny from 2007 and up was good and never gave anyone any more problems??

5. I'll google the website and get the number tonight, thanks so much.

6. lmao. Yeah, so u know about Ammco too. Their pretty high. I'm just tryna find someone who does transmissions and they've done work on the sportshifter tranny. I don't wanna go somewhere and they say they know how to fix it and they don't have a clue. But yeah, I'm shopping around for another transmission place.

7. My friend and I wondered the same thing too. If they just hooked up the computer and pulled some codes, why did it take so long??

8. Yeah that's what my mother said. Just go in there and be nice. I'm never that kind of person. But i will not back down and let them try to get me. But i will be respectful and talk my way through it nicely.

Thanks so much for the response. I'm headed out tomorrow to see what's the deal. Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I called Honda America and gave them my VIN number. I told them the previous owner in 08 had the tranny replaced. He said it should be under a 3 year 36000 mile warranty. Then he asked me if the previous owner had to pay outta the pocket for a new transmission or did Acura replace it and I told him I wasn't sure. He said that if Acura had replaced it, it wasn't covered under any warranty and if he came outta the pocket with some money, it was covered. He told me to contact the service manager.

So I contacted the service manager and explain the situation with them. She researched it and found out the previous owner had a warranty on it and he paid a 100 dollar deductable, which means, he paid something towards it. She said she was going to contact Honda America and find out if I can get a new tranny. She said I should get a new tranny thru this method, but very relieved I don't have to come out of the pocket.
$100 deductible is not paying something towards the transmission. Paying $1000 and Acura paying the rest is paying towards the transmission. Since the car was under a warranty, then like Acura said, it isn't covered.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
$100 deductible is not paying something towards the transmission. Paying $1000 and Acura paying the rest is paying towards the transmission. Since the car was under a warranty, then like Acura said, it isn't covered.
Yeah I figured that too. But what the corporate officer said was if Acura replaced the transmission back in 08 (I guess when the car was still under the extended 7 year 107,000 warranty), then I would have to pay outta the pocket for a new transmission. But he said if the previous owner had another extended warranty ( a third party warranty company, which the previous owner did), then the transmission would be covered because when he got the replacement tranmission in 08, it came with a 3 year 36k warranty.

The previous owner had a new transmission put in on November 08 with 96k miles on the car. I purchased the vehicle in January 09 with 97k miles on the car. Since then, my odometer reads 124k. So 36k plus 97 would equal to 133k, which means I still should be covered under that warranty.

The service manager told me they had to call Honda America and ask if that third party warranty stays with the previous owner or the vehicle. If it stays with the vehicle, then I get my new transmission, but if the warranty only stays with the previous owner, then yeah...i'm SOL.

At that point, I would only pray that the transmission shop I take it too can fix something minor in it.

But I hate how the dealership ONLY replaces transmissions by putting a new one. They don't crack open anything, just put a new one in there. But here's how I figure the dealership CHEATS people. I betchu, if I purchased a new tranny from them and I ask for my old one back, they would NOT give it to me. THINK ABOUT IT. If the dealership JUST puts a new tranny in anytime something goes wrong with one, all they gonna do is take out the old one and replace the car with a SUPPOSED NEW ONE, let you drive off with that SUPPOSED new tranny, crack that sumbitch open off the new one, fix whatever is wrong with it (could be like a 500 dollar job), and then turn around and put that same tranny into somebody else's car if they need a new tranny and say that it was new.

MAYBE THAT'S WHY WE KEEP HAVING PROBLEMS DOWN THE LINE. The only way to know is to ask people who have taken their car to either a dealership or a transmission shop. Because if they fix whatever is wrong the first time they rip it out of someone's car and shove it into another, a totally different thing could be wrong with it then...how would WE know...unless one of you Acurazine members knows transmissions like an expert.

They code they received from my car said something about 4th gear was jacked up. But i thought all of your transmission problems was because of 3rd gear acting up.

Now, if I get a new tranny from Acura or get whatever replaced at a shop, do ya'll recommend me purchasing a transmission cooler??
Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Safety Car

As a few others have said, a trans cooler may keep the transmission too cold, especially during the winter. It'd take more than usual to get the whole thing up to normal operating temperature.

But then again I guess it depends on where you live, how often you get hot weather, etc.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
At that point, I would only pray that the transmission shop I take it too can fix something minor in it.
It would be unwise to have anyone try to "patch" it.
Your only going to waste your $ & have a headache down the road. That's all I got say say on it. Your choice.
Lets hope Acura takes care of you.
What worries me is why the trans failed with only 28K miles on it?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

uhm to the guy that said that the ecm does not need to be replaced is mistaken. The ecm aka power train control module. when they did my trans back in Sept 2008 the PTCM was replaced. The new PTCM contains revised shift points and other modifications for system pressures and timing retard during shifts. It also holds each gear slightly longer before shifting up even under light throttle.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rapture
As a few others have said, a trans cooler may keep the transmission too cold, especially during the winter. It'd take more than usual to get the whole thing up to normal operating temperature.

But then again I guess it depends on where you live, how often you get hot weather, etc.
Rapture- Oh okay, I see what your saying...dang. Well, I'm in MD and it can get kinda cold here in the winter. Right now, its about 30 degrees. Yesterday night on the way home, it was 22 degrees. The other seasons are fine. It doesn't get THAT cold and we usually exit winter kinda quick here. I mean, should I still get one? And if I do, what things will I have to do differently?

Fuzzy02CLS-I see what your saying. Might as well get the entire thing replaced instead of fixing just "one" thing, because then, something else might fail and instead of paying like 1,200 for the first problem, I'll have to go back in and pay like 1,500 for another problems. I see. But yeah, that's what I said too about it going out in such little time. I thought all transmission placed into our cars (like 07 and up transmissions) didn't give anyone any problems.

YeuEmMaiMai-See, at first, service said "Acura recommends that you change your computer." So I remember reading threads on here about just getting the tranny done and no other work, like a new tranny for about 2,000 bucks. So when I asked how much is it for just a new transmission, no computer, she was like "well, they won't install the transmission without the computer. The transmission needs the computer for shift points." I was wondering why did she even say RECOMMEND?! So your saying i'll need a new computer to coincide with the new tranny. Oh aight cool. i see what your saying as well.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
It would be unwise to have anyone try to "patch" it.
Your only going to waste your $ & have a headache down the road. That's all I got say say on it. Your choice.
Lets hope Acura takes care of you.
What worries me is why the trans failed with only 28K miles on it?
yeah easier to just replace the whole thing, and most people don't know auto trannies well enough to rebuild them properly, so better quality control, with one place just rebuilding them for honda

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
uhm to the guy that said that the ecm does not need to be replaced is mistaken. The ecm aka power train control module. when they did my trans back in Sept 2008 the PTCM was replaced. The new PTCM contains revised shift points and other modifications for system pressures and timing retard during shifts. It also holds each gear slightly longer before shifting up even under light throttle.
it is mainly the earlier car that need new PCM's and a couple of them also need revised fuel pressure regulaters (idk why though, just that it says so in honda's tsb on it)

Last edited by friesm2000; 12-30-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Rapture

yeah i live in colorado where it gets cold (and have installed a tranny cooler for summer), and when it is cold out, my tranny does not seem to like to engage the lock up torque converter, so i need to put a piece of cardboard or something in front of it, to help block some of the airflow to it, and keep it warmer during the cold weather
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
B A N N E D

But I hate how the dealership ONLY replaces transmissions by putting a new one. They don't crack open anything, just put a new one in there. But here's how I figure the dealership CHEATS people. I betchu, if I purchased a new tranny from them and I ask for my old one back, they would NOT give it to me. THINK ABOUT IT. If the dealership JUST puts a new tranny in anytime something goes wrong with one, all they gonna do is take out the old one and replace the car with a SUPPOSED NEW ONE, let you drive off with that SUPPOSED new tranny, crack that sumbitch open off the new one, fix whatever is wrong with it (could be like a 500 dollar job), and then turn around and put that same tranny into somebody else's car if they need a new tranny and say that it was new.

MAYBE THAT'S WHY WE KEEP HAVING PROBLEMS DOWN THE LINE. The only way to know is to ask people who have taken their car to either a dealership or a transmission shop. Because if they fix whatever is wrong the first time they rip it out of someone's car and shove it into another, a totally different thing could be wrong with it then...how would WE know...unless one of you Acurazine members knows transmissions like an expert.

They code they received from my car said something about 4th gear was jacked up. But i thought all of your transmission problems was because of 3rd gear acting up.

Now, if I get a new tranny from Acura or get whatever replaced at a shop, do ya'll recommend me purchasing a transmission cooler??
you don't get it back because it has a CORE charge on it , so unless you are willing to pay the core charge they have to send it back to honda to get rebuilt for another car, but they should at least be willing to show you your old one

and most people do not know how to work on auto trannies, so easier for quality control for honda to just rebuild it, and just let the dealer remove and reinstall the "new" tranny

and they have done so many trannies that they kinda know what codes are commen to needin a new tranny
and they should have not taken a week to just read a code and tell you it needed a new tranny, proably should've been later that day, or at the latest the next day, but hey at least you got a loaner though
Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
man i feel so bad for you OP...should have gotten an independent to rebuild the trans.

mine was under 2gs!! and it's better than when i bought it.

I don't trust DLRs... nor their stupid (conditional warranty) it's just there so u spend ur money with them IMHO.

find someone who's rebuilt them b4 and get him to do it. that's what I did. saved myself a fortune
Old 12-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by friesm2000
you don't get it back because it has a CORE charge on it , so unless you are willing to pay the core charge they have to send it back to honda to get rebuilt for another car, but they should at least be willing to show you your old one

and most people do not know how to work on auto trannies, so easier for quality control for honda to just rebuild it, and just let the dealer remove and reinstall the "new" tranny

and they have done so many trannies that they kinda know what codes are commen to needin a new tranny
and they should have not taken a week to just read a code and tell you it needed a new tranny, proably should've been later that day, or at the latest the next day, but hey at least you got a loaner though
my understanding is that the casings get scrapped and only the hard parts get reused. They changed the casings in 05 to accomodate larger oiling passages..
Old 12-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Safety Car

Rapture- Oh okay, I see what your saying...dang. Well, I'm in MD and it can get kinda cold here in the winter. Right now, its about 30 degrees. Yesterday night on the way home, it was 22 degrees. The other seasons are fine. It doesn't get THAT cold and we usually exit winter kinda quick here. I mean, should I still get one? And if I do, what things will I have to do differently?
Well from what I've heard around here, the internal filter craps out regularly, so you might need to change out the trans fluid a bit more often than recommended.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:29 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
my understanding is that the casings get scrapped and only the hard parts get reused. They changed the casings in 05 to accomodate larger oiling passages..
more then likely but you still gotta send back the "hard" parts, and they don't like disassembled trannies ethier, easier to make sure nothing is missing and such, with it still fully intact
Old 12-31-2009, 08:11 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
dude change that atf filter every 30K and u should be good. U gotta keep the internal oil flow up and then u will no roast fluid. That is the key to these motors bro. they aren't cursed they are just undermaintained and the factor tells you change the fluid not often enough and then the fluid just roasts and the tranny craps. U gotta stay on that and then ur tranny will not self-destrut.

The guy who built my trans did enough of them and has not had one return so and his reccommendation is to change fluid and filter every 30K and use honda fluid and ur car should be fine. so don't think u are the only one. the real problem is when people get these cars the tranny is clogged and u are on a train to destruction. SO.. nce u rebuild or w/e just make sure u flush that fluid with the 3x3 method and u should be good. just make sure u got clean pressure switches and u should be good bro. I got my shit rebuilt for 1850 excluding my front trans mount and I got new gears, cleaned switches and everything and trust me it's a new trans. Just be on ur fluid and that's all u can do.

only forced induction cars have power issues with the auto trans so just remember it's the cleanliness of ur trans that will keep it lasting long.

So all those people who spend 3-4-5-6 gs are just getting ripped off man straight up cause it's the company that's getting that money.

I got a new trans star tq converter, new gears, cleaned pressure switched and new low hold gear all for that price. SO if u get some rediculous quote it's because ur car was worth a lot when u bought it.
think of how many people their same tranny rebuilt.. think of how many people have seen that rebuild.. and ur getting a high price!?!?!

naw man they are doing it cause they can, not cause that's what it cost.

so look around and find a good price for that rebuild cause 9/10 people will give u a stupid price for the rebuild.

find an acura mechanic that has done it before, and i'm sure he will have done it several times. and then u will get a good price and ur shit will be fixed so relax and just hunt around. I'm sure u will find a deal.

many people are in a rush and go to w/e is the cheapest at that moment and many of them get screwed cause they are in a rush. So take ur time and look around and u will find what u are looking for. I just happened to be lucky and know where to go to.
But make sure it is a master tech working on ur car. and become his friend, then he will feel obligated to make sure ur car is good to go cause that friend circle is what he needs to keep up to par.

and if u cannot find that option go to a trans shop and make sure they have people they can quote u who have done the rebuild. and then go there and buy them donuts and coffee and make sure they know you and like you so they do a super job on ur car. cause many place just use an impact gun and screw ur tranny up. so make sure u got friends or people or w/e who have gone there or to whoever rebuilds ur tranny that way they got something to lose if they happen to screw up on ur build.

you will be good bro just hunt around and u will run into what u are looking for
Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

AAMCO - All Automatics Must Come Out

I wouldn't take it there. Sounds like you've had a bad experience and I'm sorry for that. I hope you get it resolved.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh...Behave!

Watch this short video...

I think this will give you a different perspective about remanufactured transmissions.

http://www.hnatrans.com/tour_movie.htm
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM
B A N N E D

did not watch it, but what are you trying to say???
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Something sound suspicious about needing new ECM. If transmission was replaced by Acura in 2008, they should have installed updated ECMat that time. If I remember correctly, the last revision to ECM was in 2007, so from that point on you should not need new ECM. I'd question them about that, ask them why PCM was not replaced in 2008 when tranny was replaced.

Pretty shitty that tranny died so soon, the ones made after 2005 should be better.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by russianDude
Something sound suspicious about needing new ECM. If transmission was replaced by Acura in 2008, they should have installed updated ECMat that time. If I remember correctly, the last revision to ECM was in 2007, so from that point on you should not need new ECM. I'd question them about that, ask them why PCM was not replaced in 2008 when tranny was replaced.

Pretty shitty that tranny died so soon, the ones made after 2005 should be better.
, especially if the last revision was 3 years ago
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Bleed Honda Blue

If previous owner pay for labor, Trans is cover for 3yr 36K. How much would you pay a Acura tech to crack open tranny and tell you something is bad? It is not $500! It is more like 10-12 hr @ $115 just to tell you what is wrong, then there are additional rebuilding time and parts. Plus I have not seen a Acura dealer that is equipped to rebuild auto Trans. Auto Trans is not like Manuel and I don't know one Acura tech working at a dealer that is certified to rebuild auto Trans. You can get old Trans back if you are willing to pay for core charge. The "New" Trans you are getting is probably a remanufacture Trans.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Acura mechanics don't touch transmissions. Same is true for any other dealer. My recommendation is to be nice with your dealer, and deal with corporate, try to get any discount you can. If you can lower price below $3000 then do NOT go to Aamco. And question corporate/dealer about ECM. My dealer told me that Honda ships them so called "tranny kit", and they have to install everything that comes in it. Compare your current part number to the latest. If you search, you will find out what is the latest OEM part number of ECM.
ECM by itself is at least 1200-1500+ tax, so obviously you dont want to replace it if its not necessary.

Quick Reply: Tranny Went Bad-Dealership Cheating ME