Top speed run...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:44 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Top speed run...

I hit 147 the other night on US-127 southbound and I got there pretty quick. The governor kicked in and ruined the fun, though.

The car felt very stable at 147, although I felt very slight vibrations in the steering wheel. Probably just a minor issue. I'm going to get an alignment done again soon and that'll probably fix the problem.

The last time I did a top speed run was like last year and I didn't have my headers on back then, or the sway bars. The car felt more stable and got to 147 a lot faster this time around.

After coming back down to 80 mph, I felt like I could get outside and run faster.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
:ibtflamewar:

FYI: Swaybars aren't going to make your car more stable while you are going in a straight line.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Hope no one was around. All in all, nice run, be safe.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by mrsteve

FYI: Swaybars aren't going to make your car more stable while you are going in a straight line.

Who said anything about a straight line?

There were slight curves along the way -- not big ones, otherwise I would've stopped the run. But I think it was when I was passing around 120 when I had to steer for a slight left turn.

And a flame war for what? It was 3 in the morning with absolutely zero traffic either way, and I know that stretch of the road very well. I wanted to see how quickly my car could get up to 147, and if anything ever happened, the casualties would've stopped at myself and my friend.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Adventurist.

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
the casualties would've stopped at myself and my friend.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

if anything ever happened, the casualties would've stopped at myself and my friend.

And if you were doing a "top speed run" on a road that wasn't straight you are a fool. Congrats on not dying though.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Yeah, my buddy Chris.

He's crazier than me when it comes to cars. I was just driving normally with the cruise control set at 80, and he goes, "Let's do a top speed run." I looked around to check out the area for anything out of the ordinary, then mashed the pedal and went for it.

I would never do something like that against a passenger's wishes. The time was just right, I guess -- no traffic, fresh pavement, a crazy-ass passenger, and an itchy right foot.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Dragging knees in

And if you were doing a "top speed run" on a road that wasn't straight you are a fool. Congrats on not dying though.

Uhh, thanks?

Like I said, it was a very slight left turn as I was hitting 120 mph or so. If I didn't think the car could handle it, I would've stopped the run.

Honestly, I'm not some idiot who posts bullshit on the forums. I made a call on whether to keep going or stop, and the car made it just fine. I'm no race car driver, but I know my car. And you weren't there, so I don't think it gives you much right to say anything.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

And you weren't there, so I don't think it gives you much right to say anything.

You posted your story in a public forum, therefore giving me the right to say whatever I wish.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Audi S4 driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say thats 100% true .. going in a straight line and hitting bumps with sways and without sways is a noticeable difference. the suspension loses some of its independence with the larger sways and bumps are noticeably harder. so I assume it does a LITTLE for keeping the car flat in a straight line.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Dragging knees in

You posted your story in a public forum, therefore giving me the right to say whatever I wish.
Very true, but you can't question my judgement since you weren't there.

What are you really basing your argument on?

Traffic conditions? Road conditions? Weather conditions? The condition my car was in? My mental health?

You don't know any of that, except the fact that I went through a very slight left turn.

Let me rephrase for you, then. Say whatever you want on a public forum; but don't question my judgement since you weren't there.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:46 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

^ exactly man, mrseteve always rags man. Dont worry man, if it was empty like you said it was, then congrats on having a good time. But its not something we should do regurarely the stakes are high, i learned the hard way
Old 09-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Adventurist.

Hey, do whatever you wish, but when I'm in control of someone else's life, no matter how much
they agree, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where my judgement led to an injury/death. Judgement is exactly what it is, judgement, observing a current environment and basing your decision on that, needless to say, but there's a trillion other variables that can impair one's judgement after it is made.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Hey, do whatever you wish, but when I'm in control of someone else's life, no matter how much
they agree, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where my judgement led to an injury/death. Judgement is exactly what it is, judgement, observing a current environment and basing your decision on that, needless to say, but there's a trillion other variables that can impair one's judgement after it is made.

A nail on the road blowing out a tire at 130 MPH sure would suck
Old 09-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Dragging knees in

A nail on the road blowing out a tire at 130 MPH sure would suck
And you could get shot walking your dog in the park.

Yes, there were certain risks, but within acceptable range. Unacceptable risks would be like bad weather conditions, bald tires, traffic present, etc.

You keep talking about what could've happened, how bad of an idea it was, etc. Shit, if you are that scared of unforeseeable things happening in life, then you should just build a concrete barrier around your house and never ever leave. After all, you could get T-boned pulling out of your driveway, right?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

And you could get shot walking your dog in the park.

Yes, there were certain risks, but within acceptable range. Unacceptable risks would be like bad weather conditions, bald tires, traffic present, etc.

There's a difference, one is reckless the other isn't.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Dragging knees in

There's a difference, one is reckless the other isn't.

Reckless would be street racing in traffic, or blowing by at 147 past other motorists.

In my opinion, this was done under a relatively controlled situation. Why do I say controlled?

Well, I controlled the location and time of this run. I made sure there was nobody else on the road whom I could potentially hurt, the road and weather conditions were very good, etc.

Things like deer jumping out in front of me, a tire picking up a nail, or anything of that nature, I cannot control whether I'm going 80 or 147.

Stop being a mom. Like you would really care if I crashed and died. Do you get a kick out of being the all-mighty, all-righteous on an Internet message board? You never speed, you never race, you've never done a high speed run?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very true, but you can't question my judgement since you weren't there.
I don't have to be there to question your judgement based on the fact that you were grossly overdriving your headlights.

A deer or possum crossing the road, or a stalled car that you can't see until too late would fuck up your whole day.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Stop being a mom. Like you would really care if I crashed and died. Do you get a kick out of being the all-mighty, all-righteous on an Internet message board? You never speed, you never race, you've never done a high speed run?

I don't even care that you did your "top speed run". I could care less if you wrapped yourself or your passenger around a tree. But what happened if there was a broken down car in the road with its lights off and you killed an innocent person?

That innocent person could have been someone I know, etc. 147 MPH is way too fast for a public road regardless of the time of day conditions, etc.

Stop trying to justify your actions, you aren't winning me over.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:11 PM
friend of fast

dude, my mom hit 147 mph in her 2000 trans am with me in the freaking car. i was like, look mom you hit 1000 miles, let's see what this baby can do. she still talks about it, it's been 4 years since...also on an empty road, middle of the night for a short stretch. it's fun but i hate thinking about some super trooper going the other way and pulling us over for 2x the speed limit. i suggest you book a trip to germany and drive fast to your heart's desire. you can rent a 355 berlinetta from enterprise there, you know... anyway, nice run, i'm glad you guys kept the run safe. i've seen people going that fast in 6 o'clock traffic.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:06 PM
Flap.

if your goin147 and a cop passses you you arent going to get puled over, they wont pursue at that speed.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hobo
if your goin147 and a cop passses you you arent going to get puled over, they wont pursue at that speed.
You better believe they would get on the radio and inform other officers in the area of the car's description.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

aww mrsteve is afraid to go over the speed limit, if you dont like it shut the fuck up
Old 09-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Reckless would be street racing in traffic, or blowing by at 147 past other motorists.
so explain to me why i got a ticket for doing 96 in a 65 with no traffic and it said "wreckless driving" on the ticket.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver CLS
aww mrsteve is afraid to go over the speed limit, if you dont like it shut the fuck up
E-Thug WARNING

HAHAHA what a little ignorant prick! Who does this kid think he is?

I speed on a daily basis; just like 95% (rough guess) of all other drivers out there. But I do not do "top speed runs" on open roads regardless of weather, traffic, etc. And I feel those who do are putting other drivers in grave danger. I could care less if his actions resulted in a single car accident that killed himself and his buddy. But what happens when someone doesn't see him coming up so fast from behind and changes lanes infront of him, or makes a turn across the road and gets "T-boned". Then what are you gonna say?

You are Silver CLS
Old 09-12-2004, 05:21 PM
///M POWER

nice run rob, after i hit the limiter once i have never even gone over 110 since cause 4th gear blows that bad, plus its really not worth the risk.. i just wanted to hit the limter once...
Old 09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
so explain to me why i got a ticket for doing 96 in a 65 with no traffic and it said "wreckless driving" on the ticket.
Umm, because in certain jurisdictions, it's automatically a reckless driving charge if you're above a certain speed.

My brother was driving his friend's Trans Am, and since he wasn't used to driving a RWD or a stick, he popped the clutch too quick, spun out and went into a ditch. All while making a right turn at like 10-15 mph. He got a reckless driving charge for that.

It's up to the officer to make that judgement. You can't take it literally.

mrsteve --

You really think I would blow by other cars going 147? I would've slowed down if I came up on traffic. Stop trying to make me look like some adrenaline-junkie with absolute disregard for other people. Jesus.

You told me to stop defending my actions. Well, I would if you stopped bickering about how this could've happened or that could've happened. I exercised caution, although it's ironic because going 147 isn't exactly being cautious, but I did. Bottom line, all your theories of how things could've gone bad, they didn't happen. I'm still here, my friend is still here, we had fun, nobody got injured, everyone goes home happy.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:35 PM
Above n Beyond

this thread wont go too far with so many peoples' different beliefs. its just gonna be one big debate that will never end.

you have to expect people to act like this, when people think differently then you.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Cruisin'

Ohh jesus mrsteve you got me man, you put up a smiley with a lame sign AND a smiley representing a baby , how many more smiley attacks can i take!----
Old 09-12-2004, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Silver CLS
Ohh jesus mrsteve you got me man, you put up a smiley with a lame sign AND a smiley representing a baby , how many more smiley attacks can i take!----

Two more
Old 09-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Did it really read "wreckless driving"?
Old 09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
Above n Beyond

on his comments he wrote 30+ mph over-wreckless driving
Old 09-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
girls.... girls.....

oh, by the way, lets get rid of the limiter and see who the real men are.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Instructor

i never felt the governor on my car... when I had a 2001 auto Cl-s I went over 240km/h... must have been between 150-152 mph... in the canadian versions the speedometer stops at 240km/h and I was a bit over it.

And in my 6-speed... i got a few times between 145-150 and never felt it either... At what speed officially is the governor and is it possible that there's just so much speedo error at this speed that I might have been under 147 even though it looked like 152????
Old 09-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Adventurist.

Generally, you can count on your speedo being off 9-14% at that speed.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:18 PM
///M POWER

147-148^^^
Old 09-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

but yikes.......
Old 09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Dragging knees in

on his comments he wrote 30+ mph over-wreckless driving

I guees the officer was technically correct -- you didn't wreck the car or anything.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:40 PM
Instructor

9-14% wow, that's quite a big error margin...
I have a garmin gps, guess the speed is pretty accurate with that... maybe I'll try again...
but I only have 3 points left on my license so I'll wait a bit

when I got to top speed, the car always felt very very stable to me... only thing is the air coming through the windows... feels like the windows are gonna fly out.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Instructor

I guees the officer was technically correct -- you didn't wreck the car or anything.
Yeah, that is what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Top speed run...