Took my sunroof visor off...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my sunroof visor off...

Yesterday i washed my car and decided to take the sun visor off. I never really use the sunroof because it doesn't go that far back and with the visor, there is just no open space. I think it looks better but it left a mark on the paint where the visor was touching it. I tried a clay bar but it didn't help much. it got the dirt off but there is like a clear scratch. Any ideas on how i could get this off? It goes all around the front part of the sunroof. I don't want to put the visor back on unless its a last resort. Would touch up paint be worth it? thanks in advance.

marc
Old 10-11-2001, 12:47 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Is it a pain to remove the visor? I'll never even tried. I know I have a lot of dirt build up underneath that I need to clean.
Old 10-11-2001, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

I take my visor OFF every winter so the road salt doesn’t get under it.
Last winter when I removed it I noticed exactly what you noted.
The paint actually seems to be “indented” where the rubber touches it.
I ZAINO’d the hell out of it and it still looked the same.

The funny thing is I had a visor on my 91 Legend Coupe for EIGHT YEARS and it never did this.
The same for my wife’s 91 Integra, I remove it for the winter and never noticed it on her BLACK paint.

It must be just another example of the CHEAP paint on our cars.

On the bright side, it makes it quite easy to properly align the visor when I put it back on in the spring.

Shawn S
Old 10-11-2001, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Its easy to take the visor off. There are 2 screws you have to take out (1 on each side) and then open the sunroof and take off the brackets. Took me 2 minutes to do. I don't know if i should leave it offf or put it back on, i really like it without it tho, but i don't want that "indent" there.

marc
Old 10-11-2001, 01:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Despite my request NOT to, the dealer installed a sunroof visor on my car prior to me picking it up. 4 days later I took it off and it left the same marks you guys are talking about -- looks like a "dent" in the paint everywhere the rubber strip touched. Nothing took it off -- I ended up taking it back to the dealer and they had to farm it out to a body shop that wetsanded it to remove the mark. I wasn't too excited about having that done to a 10 day old car, but they did a great job and the mark is gone.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:23 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by RAdams:
<STRONG>Despite my request NOT to, the dealer installed a sunroof visor on my car prior to me picking it up. 4 days later I took it off and it left the same marks you guys are talking about -- looks like a "dent" in the paint everywhere the rubber strip touched. Nothing took it off -- I ended up taking it back to the dealer and they had to farm it out to a body shop that wetsanded it to remove the mark. I wasn't too excited about having that done to a 10 day old car, but they did a great job and the mark is gone.</STRONG>

What would a job like this cost? I would consider doing it if it isn't to expensive. I really don't want to put the visor back on. From the inside, its so much better without the visor.

marc

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Marc S ]
Old 10-11-2001, 01:42 PM
Powered By HONDA

yah touch up paint will help and eliminate the situtaion.that is all u can do.otherwise u want to repaint that small part?i do not have sunroof visor and i think that makes the car uglier that is why i do not buy and will not intend to buy in the future either. now i know removing sunroof visor will scratch the paint on the moonroof areas.thanks for the info. :p
Old 10-11-2001, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Type S:
<STRONG>yah touch up paint will help and eliminate the situtaion.that is all u can do.otherwise u want to repaint that small part?i do not have sunroof visor and i think that makes the car uglier that is why i do not buy and will not intend to buy in the future either. now i know removing sunroof visor will scratch the paint on the moonroof areas.thanks for the info. :p</STRONG>
Im so glad my misfortune could help you :p
I don't know it i want to use touch up paint, cause we all know that it could turn out to be a mess. But is sanding it out a possibility? How much would something like that cost?

marc
Old 10-11-2001, 01:57 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Originally posted by Marc S:
<STRONG>

Im so glad my misfortune could help you :p
I don't know it i want to use touch up paint, cause we all know that it could turn out to be a mess. But is sanding it out a possibility? How much would something like that cost?

marc</STRONG>
Touch up paint makes a mess unless you are really good at fixing stuff like that. The only time i have seen touch up paint do a good job is when the guy wet sanded it and put some micro finish compound or somthing on it and reapplied the clear coat and that was on a chip. A dent like you are talking about would look worse with touch up paint than w/o IMO.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:06 PM