TL-S vs. Buick Regal GSE (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL-S vs. Buick Regal GSE (revisited)

Ok, so I've logged over 600 miles on the car now, and I've played around with it a little bit:

Head to head, Buick Regal GSE (my buddy at the wheel) both of us waiting for a green on a dry road, 40 degree evening. Traction off on both cars. He has a better rxn. time on the first run and pulls ahead 1/2 car length, and by the time I shift into 3rd (we call it off -- too fast w/ potential pigs around) and we're at about 65 mph. Second run, we get Identical reaction times, and he's 1/2 car length behind me, but I can't shake him -- I shift into 3rd, and then let off -- same reason as before.

These cars -- and i know you've all discussed this to death before, but understand this is my first time witnessing it -- are pretty neck and neck. However -- I have this curiosity to see what would have happened had we pulled through 3rd and 4th gears.

To all you BMW 540i killers, and supercar killers -- uh uh -- this car is quick (CL-S and TL-S) but it ain't all that. It's a much better BANG FOR THE BUCK -- so if ya wanna call it a better value -- and hence being a 540i/supercar killa -- sure .. whatever. But it cannot take out a 540i, Porsche, M3 manual, or some of the other ludicrous cars some people have posted (i'm talking STOCK ALSO.. for those of you w/ mods -- i'm not talkin about you).

Drive hard people.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
No Mods
Old 03-29-2001, 05:12 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The TL-S is going to slower than the CL-S from 0-60. Wait until you get a few more miles on your car and try it again. How mush horsepower does that buick have anyway?

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 03-29-2001, 05:15 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I also think if you had really gotten far into third you would have started to pull away somewhat.
Those Buicks tend to have speed limiters on them at about 110.
------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!

[This message has been edited by Black CL-S 4-Life (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 05:15 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I think the CLS vs an auto 540 would be extremely close, same goes for an auto M3. And, in fact, people have beaten these particular cars in the past.

------------------
Black/black CLS
Comptech headers, springs, swaybars
Koni yellows
PIAA 19169 road lamps
Solaris Hi beams
Potenza RE730 225/45/17
Red AEM CAI
35% mirror tint next

[This message has been edited by JZ (edited 03-29-2001).]
Old 03-29-2001, 07:44 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
The TL-S is going to slower than the CL-S from 0-60. Wait until you get a few more miles on your car and try it again. How mush horsepower does that buick have anyway?
</font>
Why is the TL-S going to be slower? Don't they have the exact same engine, gearing, and suspension and weigh within 20 pounds of eachother? I would assume it is going to be a wash.

------------------
Old 03-29-2001, 07:58 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I test drove a TL-S and it just did not feel as fast on the takeoff, as the CL-S. As far as handling goes it does not handle as well either. Don't get me wrong I still love the car.

------------------
Drive Fast Live Fast!
Old 03-30-2001, 02:16 AM
Intermediate

The Regal GSE and Grand Prix GTP both have

240 hp w/ 280 lb-ft. torque

That's quite a hefty pairing if you ask me, and having driven the car many times, it's quick.

A manul 540i? I don't buy it. That car is 1) rear wheel drive -- better take off due to the weight of the vehicle being transfered to the back wheels at hard take-offs, 2) it had 275 horse w/ over 280 lb-ft of torque (+/- 5), 3) it's a five-speed german auto -- geared nearly to perfection, 4) if you wanna play w/ "stats", it outaccelerates the TL-S to 60, and to the 1/4 mile.

You're right about the governor at 110 in the Buick -- once you hit the 110, the rev-limiter will slap you back into reality and cut fuel. The limit on the Acura is 143 I believe or something really close to this. However, at this point, you've gotta be in 4th gear.

Auto M3 -- I believe it. This makes sense now that I think about it. But not a manual M3 with someone who knows how to use it!

I drove the CL-S extensively!! before driving my TL-S because I wanted to be certain of the TL-S deposit ($1K) before we put it down. The CL-S doesn't seem as solid, and I think the TL-S handles JUST as well, if not better than it (stock). As far as putting miles on it -- all I've ever read about putting miles on an engine is that it only improves the performance as it ages.. (if you treat it good and take care of it).

Drive hard folks -- they're great cars!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
No Mods
Old 03-30-2001, 02:23 PM
Nosferatu

Good job with the Regal. They are pretty much the twins of the GTP in performance. The launch is key in those things just like my GTX. With that much torque, (303 at the wheels with me.) it's a b&^^%h to launch right. A good launch gets that car into the 14's easy. I'd say 90% of stock GS's and GTP's can run 14.7-.8 with some rare factory freaks in there as well. (Best 'freak' I've seen was a 14.2 Regal GS, STOCK) Unfortunately it's now a block in the junkyard due to a meeting with a pickup. Anyways, be careful for modded ones though. THey can be quick. Opening up the intake and exhaust helps out a LOT in the top end. Stock, both the regal and GP are a little weaker up there. Also, the GTP can get a reprogrammed PCM that removes the limiter. This is not an option yet for the Regal, so even modded, it's limited to 108.

------------------
Andrew S.
2000 Dark Forest Green GTP/GTX
14.413@95.03

My Mod Page

2001 San Marino Red Acura 3.2 CL Type S
* No Mods Yet, though planned *
Old 03-30-2001, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

I seriously think the Buick Regal GS/GSE is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance/ammenities/value for someone looking for a family sedan w/o the youthful, rebellious styling of the Pontiac line-up. You're right, launch is key, and he definitely needs to upgrade to some better tires -- since he's still running w/ his stock Goodyear's at 11K miles on the car.

However -- I heard his engine when he floored in on the freeway (i'm driving in my TL-S in the lane next to him) and frankly -- it's not nearly as refined (don't know about the GTX) as the CL-S or TL-S floored. I like the japanese refinement. I had a '94 ES300 previously and I just LOVED to floor it (not that it was fast in any way!) because it was sooo silky smooth and refined -- even with 109K miles on it.

<tears> loved that car...

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
No Mods