Tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001 | 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Tire rotation question

I am getting close to 7500 miles and want to Rotate tires. I called my Acura Dealership, and they wanted $40 for tire rotation & balancing.
Do I realy need balancing?? Are they just ripping off people?? Do you think it is sufficent enough just to rotate tires without Balancing?

Also, do you think 7500 miles is too short?
It's kind of expensive paying 40 buks every 7500 miles....

Old 06-07-2001 | 08:54 PM
Instructor

Every 7.5K miles is what's recommended but $40.00 is a total rip-off. They should be glad to do it for free. It takes them about 15 minutes at the most.
Balancing is always good, but if you are not noticing any vibrations in the steering wheel or car while driving over 50 you should be ok.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by russianDude:
I am getting close to 7500 miles and want to Rotate tires. I called my Acura Dealership, and they wanted $40 for tire rotation & balancing.
Do I realy need balancing?? Are they just ripping off people?? Do you think it is sufficent enough just to rotate tires without Balancing?

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-07-2001 | 09:10 PM
Banned

The moment you hit a pothole...you need balancing.

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers (hehehe...I got something for you drchang!!)
14.698 @95.977mph....Sears Point Raceway.I think I need a Level 10 Torque Converter!!
Yes, I know I'm going to hell for wasting gas on Civics....
My Peoples
Old 06-07-2001 | 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

If you have a discount tire by your house, go there! They rotate tires for free! I rotate mine every 5000 since I got comptech springs

g

------------------
'01 Silver TYPE-S (navi)
  • Spoiler
  • Comptech Springs
  • 18"ADR Enigma & 225/40
  • 35%tint all around
  • Polarg M-6
  • Xephyr CAI
  • Comptech Headers
  • Comptech Sways
  • Denso Iridium Plugs
Click here for pics of my CL!
Old 06-07-2001 | 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh sure, they should be glad to do it for free. Thats right they make so much money servicing cars that they can do free service. (anybody note the contradiction here). Otoh, if your tires were wearing unevenly from the get (i.e. without different springs and at the time you took delivery) then yes they should do your tires for free. But if there's no uneven wear, then remember its a business. You could ask but time is money.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 06-07-2001 | 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, I agree, they Acura Dealership wants to make money on anything they do, does not matter if you need it or not.
I'll probably just rotate at some small shop for 10-15 buks.
I will also put synthetic oil and change it every 7500 miles.
I am sick and tired of spending money on cars, I used to have old car I paid for repair, now I have new car, and I pay for mainranance, it like never ends, allways paying for something .... this sux
Old 06-08-2001 | 02:08 AM
Racer

Well I for one tried the dealer, even though I thought $40 was crazy, just because I was so tired of tire stores NOT balancing my aftermarkets right. Tire stores here like to put weights on the inside. Sorry but on a lighter wheel that ain't happening. Acura used stick-ons and the ride was so smooth out of the shop it felt amazingly better. They also warranty the balance for 12,000/12 months. Now I'll have my tire shop do the rotation for free and Acura balance them for free for the next year. For THAT, $40 is ok.

------------------
CL-S PDG, TR Typhoon Wheels, Comptech Sways, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 06-08-2001 | 05:10 AM
Instructor

This is exactly one of the reasons most of us are so pissed at Acura's service. It's not just bad, but they overcharge for some things and then charge for other things they should not. And some people accept it justifying it as "business is business". That's a load of crap IMO.
There's something called customer service. How would you feel if you bring your car in for a tire rotation and the service manager tells you it'll be a complementary service, but you'd have to bring the car at a certain time when it's convenient for them. Fair to me.
Part of Acura's problems with service is the bunch of ignorant people working in that department. If they used more common sense we'd all be a bit happier.

I'll keep rotating tires, changing oils, spark plugs, brakes, installing sways, headers and everything else I have the tools for myself.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Oh sure, they should be glad to do it for free. Thats right they make so much money servicing cars that they can do free service. (anybody note the contradiction here). Otoh, if your tires were wearing unevenly from the get (i.e. without different springs and at the time you took delivery) then yes they should do your tires for free. But if there's no uneven wear, then remember its a business. You could ask but time is money.

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-08-2001 | 12:01 PM
Safety Car

YO man, do I know you? Your email address is at drexel.edu. I went there. Are u from jersey?

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 06-08-2001 | 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach-CL:
This is exactly one of the reasons most of us are so pissed at Acura's service.</font>
I'm not pissed. Then again I've had the luck of living 1 mile from Park Avenue. Whatever falls under warranty is repaired without any hassles or surprises. If the price for a rotation is either posted or told you before hand, then its simple. You can walk out and find another place to do it cheaper, (you get what you pay for), or do what you do. Do it yourself if you've got the time, the work area, the lift, the tools, hunting down the replacement parts....etc.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's not just bad, but they overcharge for some things and then charge for other things they should not. And some people accept it justifying it as "business is business". That's a load of crap IMO.</font>
Again if you think the service is overcharged than you can find another place to do it. I just hope that the place you choose has trained qualified mechanics, has a loaner car, has ready access to parts and of course, lots of free coffee for you to drink while waiting. (Remember I doubt generic shops will supply you a loaner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There's something called customer service. How would you feel if you bring your car in for a tire rotation and the service manager tells you it'll be a complementary service, but you'd have to bring the car at a certain time when it's convenient for them. Fair to me.</font>
Agreed. I be tickled especially knowing that the service should be $40 otherwise.
Let me ask you this, what sort of business or occupation are you in? Is it business related? If so do you provide billable services or products for free?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Part of Acura's problems with service is the bunch of ignorant people working in that department. If they used more common sense we'd all be a bit happier.</font>
Ok then I suppose you've queried most all of Acura's service depts. to make this blanket statement. And of course if this is true then I'd be grateful to you for supplying the auto marquee in which the service dept. which is not staffed by "ignorant" people. Really, let us know which car brand has the best service people.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I'll keep rotating tires, changing oils, spark plugs, brakes, installing sways, headers and everything else I have the tools for myself.</font>
I applaud you for having the time and skills to do these repairs. I just wonder why people buy a $30k car and then squawk about a $40 bill?

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
17x7.5 BBS RX Rims
K&N Dropin AF
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
PIAA16969
Smokers Package
My Car

[This message has been edited by Al Uminum (edited 06-08-2001).]
Old 06-08-2001 | 12:33 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

I whole heartedly agree with my friend Al Uminum. I was also sour on Acura service after dealing with Ramsey Acura and Wayne Acura. Jens and Al pointed me in the right direction and park Avenue was at the end of the rainbow. They have been absolutely super. They are very competitive in pricing and superior service. Shop around, there must be a "Park Avenue" in your neighborhood. If you would fill in the "From" in your profile, we might even have a dealer to point you toward. Park Avenue has guys driving 100's of miles to experience their service.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Xephyr CAI
Polarg M6
Solaris 9005
Cupholder Ver 2.0 Part#77237-SOK-A02

gto2050 - The voice of absolutely no reason whatsoever!
Old 06-08-2001 | 01:13 PM
Pro

Thanks to both AL and GTO. Beach- I don't often comment on the negative rap the dealers get on the boards because, frankly, some of them deserve it. I do, however, feel bad that you are so negative and distrusting- you must have had a very bad experience somewhere. There are caring and honest dealerships out there- many of them. Perhaps you just need to be a bit more open to the idea. And, if your professor of economics taught you that the way to be successful is to give away your goods and services for free, than I sure hope he did the same. Remember, just because they give you something for free doesn't mean their service is good!

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
*** The opinions expressed above are my own and I in no way speak for American Honda or Acura. ***

2002 TL-S Black on Black
Factory Body Kit, Factory Spoiler, Comptech Springs, Comptech Sways, Comptech Headers, Comptech Exhaust, Xephyr CAI
Tuning by Jens
Old 06-09-2001 | 05:55 PM
Instructor

[QuoteI'm not pissed. Then again I've had the luck of living 1 mile from Park Avenue. Whatever falls under warranty is repaired without any hassles or surprises. If the price for a rotation is either posted or told you before hand, then its simple. You can walk out and find another place to do it cheaper, (you get what you pay for), or do what you do. Do it yourself if you've got the time, the work area, the lift, the tools, hunting down the replacement parts....etc.

I don't know if you've noticed by reading around here, but a lot of owners are unhappy and distrusting of their dealer service. You are one of the lucky ones.
The fact that a price is posted does not mean that it's fair to charge for that service. That's my point, it's a service, not an item they are giving you for free.
There is no reason for an Acura owner to have to bargain for reasonable service.

[Quote Again if you think the service is overcharged than you can find another place to do it. I just hope that the place you choose has trained qualified mechanics, has a loaner car, has ready access to parts and of course, lots of free coffee for you to drink while waiting. (Remember I doubt generic shops will supply you a loaner

Trained qualified mechanics, loaner car, access to parts and the (most important) coffee, are things I already paid for when I got the car. Good service and fair treatment should be free.

[Quote Agreed. I be tickled especially knowing that the service should be $40 otherwise.
Let me ask you this, what sort of business or occupation are you in? Is it business related? If so do you provide billable services or products for free?

My friend, I've been in the consulting business for 10 years. Billing for services is a big part of my business. You handle your adjustments per situation. Again it's a matter of common sense. A 30 min. job (at the most) is one of those situations you use to your advantage to keep a customer happy, show you care and that not everything is just business. Again, it's called customer service.

[Quote Ok then I suppose you've queried most all of Acura's service depts. to make this blanket statement. And of course if this is true then I'd be grateful to you for supplying the auto marquee in which the service dept. which is not staffed by "ignorant" people. Really, let us know which car brand has the best service people.

I can only talk for my own personal experiences and the service related posting in this board.
There have been talk about starting a "dealers for hell" forum.
This forum is a sample from around the country and there are too many bad stories. Do a search for service related postings like I did and you'll see. And again, most complaints are related to a lack of common sense on the part of the dealer.

[QuoteI applaud you for having the time and skills to do these repairs. I just wonder why people buy a $30k car and then squawk about a $40 bill?

The reason I question the $40 for a tire rotation is precisely because I know how much work is involved in doing it... not much.
I am also fair as a customer and would not "squawk" for a job that requires time for diagnosis, repair and test, in other words, thinking and using the training that a technician is supposed to get. Rotating tires is not that type of job.

Hope you find the strength to smile when they charge you $50 for fixing a non-working glove compartment light.

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-09-2001 | 06:06 PM
Instructor

I don't know which idea you mean I should be open about... that I should pay $40 for a 15 minute job? no way. It's not me that's wrong but the dealer.

BTW - we did discuss customer service extensively in my MBA courses. I sure hope some of the service managers I've deal with had finished shcool.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
Thanks to both AL and GTO. Beach- I don't often comment on the negative rap the dealers get on the boards because, frankly, some of them deserve it. I do, however, feel bad that you are so negative and distrusting- you must have had a very bad experience somewhere. There are caring and honest dealerships out there- many of them. Perhaps you just need to be a bit more open to the idea. And, if your professor of economics taught you that the way to be successful is to give away your goods and services for free, than I sure hope he did the same. Remember, just because they give you something for free doesn't mean their service is good!

</font>

------------------
2001 Silver CL-S
Old 06-09-2001 | 06:51 PM
Banned

40 $ I just took mine to the LOCAL NTW and they did it for FREE !!!!!!!!

here in Chattanooga, TN

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by russianDude:

</font>

------------------
2001 CL-S Silver
Comptech Headers
Comptech Sways
14 % Tint
Viper 550 Alarm
Old 06-10-2001 | 08:10 AM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Beach-CL:
Every 7.5K miles is what's recommended but $40.00 is a total rip-off. They should be glad to do it for free. It takes them about 15 minutes at the most.
Balancing is always good, but if you are not noticing any vibrations in the steering wheel or car while driving over 50 you should be ok.

</font>
Sorry, I'm sidetracking a bunch of dealer related stuff here, but once you get a set of aftermarket tires, MOST of the good tire dealers will offer free rotate and balance.

(Washington Tire and Wheel for example, where I bought my Toyos)

If you plan on staying safe, a regular "diet" of rotation and balancing is a good idea.

If the tire dealer isn't a jerk, they have a chance to inspect the tires for foreign objects, proper air pressure (I keep an air gauge and check tire pressures regularly), and any wear problems.

A good dealer will make enough money to be able to offer this service. (If they are not doing anything anyway [which happens from time-to-time during quiet times] why not do an easy job and make a customer happy and safe. It does promote repeat business, and allows the customer to see new products.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines w/Brembos?
  • Comptech headers & sways
  • Silver AEM CAI
  • 10 coats of Zaino magic