Tire rotation frequency?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by CO-CL-S
The car was/is my CL-S (see sig. ). I did not drive on back roads, or city street with potholes. Most of the mileage was on interstates (65-95 MPH). I never raced the car or did any off road driving. I made no comments about tire rotation (I feel that rotating tires at 7,500 miles is a prudent practice for most CL-s drivers). I actually consider my driving habits to be quite normal. Use, without abuse. I joined this forum shortly after buying my Acura CL-S, and almost all of my posts have been in this forum. YMMV
Woah, wait a minute. Are you saying you got 50k miles on the OEM tires? The Michelins? I'm not calling you a liar, but that is like 15k more that the highest mileage I've ever heard. When you took them off did they have any rubber left. Were you riding on cords? I'm just so astounded because I'm tame to most people on this board and I stretched my OEM tires to 30k.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
There have been members here (can't recall whom) that have gotten 50K out of the stocks...
Old 09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Bill Faure
Woah, wait a minute. Are you saying you got 50k miles on the OEM tires? The Michelins? I'm not calling you a liar, but that is like 15k more that the highest mileage I've ever heard. When you took them off did they have any rubber left. Were you riding on cords? I'm just so astounded because I'm tame to most people on this board and I stretched my OEM tires to 30k.
I drove them longer than I probably should have. They should have been replaced at about 47K-50K. I drove real slow and carefully when the roads were wet (after 47K). I checked the pressure often and did not abuse them. I didn't care for the way they squealed, and felt that they were not real good at holding the road (when wet), but mileage wise they did real well. There was indeed rubber left, although I did notice several spots where rubber was beginning to break off (like someone had taken a small knife and cut a 1/2 inch slit into the thread). I'm now putting on SP5000, which I hope are a better performance tire, while still yielding pretty good mileage. YMMV
Old 09-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bill Faure

Just so you know:

Honda/Acura has been hearing "complaints" from enthusiasts about their choice in rubber. The question, "Why don't you put some sticky tires on the CL Type-S" seems to come up quite often from enthusiasts and the car mags. In a recent magazine review (I believe it was the new Accord), Honda defended their choice of tires...

They said they select them (MXV4 and by proxy MXM4) for:

High mileage (the rubber IS HAAAARRRRRDDDD)
All-season (if you are liberal with the use of all-season)
Very high gas mileage from low rolling resistance

Note: The MXV4s are "officially" "green"/energy saver tires, but the MXM4 are very similar in the high mileage and low rolling resistance (sorry, the green tire site is off-line and looks to be gone)...
Old 09-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Scrib
There have been members here (can't recall whom) that have gotten 50K out of the stocks...
I bet I'll get close to that number. I've got 23K on my stockers now and they look brand new. I get very good wear out of tires because I rotate faithfully, constantly check tire pressure, and I do alignments every other year unless something unusual comes up. Again, I've got almost 55K on my Z-rated SP 5000s on my Maxima (and counting). And I don't drive like a grandma either.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Sacramento, we rotate after every twisties run J/K, but we probably should