Tips on Windshield Repair?replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Tips on Windshield Repair?replacement

So, the Memorial Day weekend was great except I got a nice crack on my windshield (driver's view) from a flying rock.

I'm about to get a quote on replacement (since state law prevents a repair when the damage occurs in the driver's line of sight).

Anyone have any experience with this? Tips? BTW, I'm going through my insurance co.'s comp. coverage, the deductible is $250.

Thanks guys.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:10 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, move to MA where you get a complimentary windshield replacement per year. I actually have a crack that I need to replace but it hasn't gotten any bigger in the year plus I've had it.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if its just a "bullet hole" type crack some shops will fix it even if it is in the line of sight. its cheap and for your purposes its fine. the car just won't pass a state safety inspection. so unless it needs an annual safety inspection don't replace the windshield if its repairable and you can find a shop willing to do it anyway. out of state maybe????

i've had 2 windshields repaired for "bullet hole" rock damage and they've held up for over 5 years with no problems at all. no increase in the crack/damage in the windshield so far. this isn't true for all damage. it depends on the strength of the glass, amount of flexing the frame of the windshield receives from moving, bumps, expansion/contraction, weather, etc. and from the size of the original crack.

but for the price of a chip repair give it a try. you've got nothing to lose.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Intermediate

i work for an auto glass place here in toronto, i will tell u to be very careful about the place u go to replace it, ask for either ACURA glass, or at the very least OEM quality and ask if the place uses URETHANE as a sealant, MAKE SURE THEY DO!!! DO NOT LET THEM USE SILICONE!!!. PPG or LOF ARE 2 OF THE BEST AFTERMARKET BRANDS for windsheilds. leave your car for as long as possible, that way they wont rush to finish it. and look very carefully at ur car before you bring it in. windsheild replacements are pretty ruff on the car, lots of cutting and bending the glass out so look carefully after and before. like i said go to someplace reputable, not one of those "joes garage" places. and go to a place with a good warranty. we offer a lifetime warranty on our windsheilds here and free stone chip repairs as well.
other than that, theres not much else... good luck!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks guys. Well, upon research, according to state law, any damage in the line of sight, all glass shops are required to replace the entire windshield. So no simple fix there. I will be replacing the entire thing tomorrow /w my deductible of $250. The shop I'm using was a good referral. They use PPG glass with OEM trim and urethane sealant. So, if all turns out, I will post an update. Thanks Cerise for the input.
Old 06-01-2004, 10:09 PM
PACDAT

Originally Posted by CERISE
i work for an auto glass place here in toronto, i will tell u to be very careful about the place u go to replace it, ask for either ACURA glass, or at the very least OEM quality and ask if the place uses URETHANE as a sealant, MAKE SURE THEY DO!!! DO NOT LET THEM USE SILICONE!!!. PPG or LOF ARE 2 OF THE BEST AFTERMARKET BRANDS for windsheilds. leave your car for as long as possible, that way they wont rush to finish it. and look very carefully at ur car before you bring it in. windsheild replacements are pretty ruff on the car, lots of cutting and bending the glass out so look carefully after and before. like i said go to someplace reputable, not one of those "joes garage" places. and go to a place with a good warranty. we offer a lifetime warranty on our windsheilds here and free stone chip repairs as well.
other than that, theres not much else... good luck!
Hey CERISE, which shop do you work at? im looking to repair a stone chip on my car. How much do you guys charge? and what do you think of APPLE AUTO GLASS?

Thanks
Old 06-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Well to answer ur question about apple, theyre my competitors... my opinion of them will be very biased....
i pm'd u back 187