Tinting Opinion/Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 10:19 AM
Nightbane

Tinting Opinion/Question

Okay I'm getting my car tinted (Of course) and I've got a couple of questions.

1) Which tint do you think would look good on Aegean Blue, standard black, or metallic (Lumar Platnium specifically).

2) If I go with the metallic is it worth it, the tint shop I'm going to wants to charge almost $100 more for the Platnium and thats not even with a lifetime warrantey. It is with a 250,000 mile warrenty, now admittedly 250,000 is a freaking long time, but still.

So basically what does everyone think, would the platnium tint look good with the Aegean Blue (I think so) and is it worth the extra $$$.

Thanks,
Brenden
Old 10-15-2001, 10:33 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
if you put metallic tint on the rear window, your radio reception will be screwed up....
I would just go with normal llumar tint...that stuff works great, doesn't fade and looks goo..
I just did my TL-S with it..cost me $120 CDn for all windows including the top and bottom on the windshield...I ran 14% all the way around...
Old 10-15-2001, 10:51 AM
Nightbane

Originally posted by Astroboy
if you put metallic tint on the rear window, your radio reception will be screwed up....
I would just go with normal llumar tint...that stuff works great, doesn't fade and looks goo..
I just did my TL-S with it..cost me $120 CDn for all windows including the top and bottom on the windshield...I ran 14% all the way around...
Thanks, didn't know about the radio reception thing, just that it can screw up navi, which I don't have. Though I guess I should have figured that, if the navi goes, so would the radio....DUH!!!
Old 10-15-2001, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Madico metallic 35% tint on 5 windows and have no radio problems. AM, FM, and Navi all work 100%. Get your installer to lay down the exact tint you want over your rear window to test reception.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I got metallic lifetime tint myself (not sure of the brand) and I have no radio reception problems either. I tinted my car with 20% on the rear and 35% on the sides. Check out my site (link in sig) for some pics since we have the same color car......
Old 10-15-2001, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Astroboy
The jury is still out on if it also messes up your rear facing RADAR detection capabilities, but I believe it does so I stayed away from metallic.

Shawn S
Old 10-15-2001, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I will never tint my windows, tinted windows is a sign to all cops to check you. Cops stop tinted windows cars more often, its a fact
Old 10-15-2001, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by russianDude
I will never tint my windows, tinted windows is a sign to all cops to check you. Cops stop tinted windows cars more often, its a fact
It depends on where you live, how dark you go, and how you drive. In a lot of states, medium tint is perfectly legal. In CA, nothing is legal on the front two side windows. I had 50% on my old car for 7 years and never got stopped. I've had 35% on my CL for about 6 months and haven't been stopped. That's because I didn't push it and get something dark like 20% or limo. Plus, I don't drive like I want to be pulled over.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:47 AM
Nightbane

Originally posted by mdaniel

It depends on where you live, how dark you go, and how you drive. In a lot of states, medium tint is perfectly legal. In CA, nothing is legal on the front two side windows. I had 50% on my old car for 7 years and never got stopped. I've had 35% on my CL for about 6 months and haven't been stopped. That's because I didn't push it and get something dark like 20% or limo. Plus, I don't drive like I want to be pulled over.
I agree, I'm not planning on going dark, just want something darker then stock because DAMN does leather get hot with the sun beating down.

I'm only thinking about 35% sides, 20% back, possibly a little darker on the sides to make it even all around, but then I'm asking for trouble if I get stopped. Not that the radar detector and no front license plate aren't going to get me in enough trouble!
Old 10-15-2001, 11:55 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mdaniel
I have Madico metallic 35% tint on 5 windows and have no radio problems.
I have the same exact tint setup on my TL.. no problems with Radio either..

I think 35% is just right, not too dark that it attracts attention, yet dark enough to to it's job. My car probably got about 40% cooler after the tint vs stock. Very noticiable on black leather!
Old 10-15-2001, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I think even if your tint is legal by the law, cops always try to pick on drivers with tint more. Its like, they see two cars speeding with the same speed, one has tint, one does not. They will most likely stop the one with tint.
Its a psycological thing, cops see something that looks nice and gets their attention, and they go for it. Or they probably think "Hmn, the driver in that tint car probably thinks he is cool or something, let me give him a ticket so he does not feel this way anymore"
Old 10-15-2001, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Bottom line, - Tint draws to much "unwanted" attention from both cops and other people. Ofcourse, unwanted attention could be brought by lots of things.... but to me, tint is one big thing that draws attention ....
Old 10-15-2001, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have 15% on my soon to be sold "other" car. I drove all over the country even in NY/NJ. Never had a problem. Then Last mother's day I went to vist my mom(like a good son) & on the FL Turnpike a state tropper is sitting in the median. I pass him with other cars. I wasn't speeding or anything. I see in my mirror that he turns around, puts on his lights, & gets in my lane. I chnaged lanes, & he chnaged with me, & pulled me over. He got out with this thing in his hand. Came over to me, asked me to roll up the window a little. Slipped the thing over the window, & read the tint. I couldn't belive it! Mind you this is a FL state trooper. His job is to stop speeders & such. This guy chased me for at least a mile all to give me a $44 non moving ticket for window tint! STUPID!!!!! Anyway that's the only problem I have ever had.
Old 10-15-2001, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, cops hate people who have tint, even if the tint is legal.... they just like to pick on people with tint.... they start looking for stupid reasons to pull you over
Old 10-15-2001, 02:00 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 15% metallic tint on all 5 windows, and I have no problems with radio reception. I have gotten a compliance ticket for tint.....Oh well.
Old 10-15-2001, 02:05 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Count me in as having metallic tint with no radio reception problems (except when my rear defroster is on--but, I don't know if that has to do with the tint/defroster interaction or just the defroster).
Old 10-15-2001, 05:37 PM
Red X

show some proof. i've never heard anything like that. i've never got pulled over for having my windows tinted, or because they look suspicious. hey where the hell is spell check. did i spell suspicious right?
Old 10-15-2001, 05:40 PM
Red X

I think even if your tint is legal by the law, cops always try to pick on drivers with tint more. Its like, they see two cars speeding with the same speed, one has tint, one does not. They will most likely stop the one with tint.
Its a psycological thing, cops see something that looks nice and gets their attention, and they go for it. Or they probably think "Hmn, the driver in that tint car probably thinks he is cool or something, let me give him a ticket so he does not feel this way anymore"
you must be from russia, or on vodka right now because what kind of logic is that?!
oh no. i'm post whoring. two replys in a row
Old 10-15-2001, 05:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by gmilian

show some proof. i've never heard anything like that. i've never got pulled over for having my windows tinted, or because they look suspicious.
I’ve had problems getting pulled over when I was younger with 20% or darker on previous cars I’ve owned.

No problems yet on my Legend Coupe or CL-S which both have only 35%.
It’s dark enough to be effective on reducing sun glare, but not enough to draw unwanted attention.

FYI….ALL tint is illegal in PA & NJ which is where I do most of my driving.

Shawn S