tighten emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Registered Douchebag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tighten emergency brake

can anyone guide through tightening the E-brake? How difficult is it? what will i need??
Old 09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See this thread for a great how-to by Jens H.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103612

For a minor adjustment, you can just adjust the cables in the console without taking off the tires -- lift the back of the car (chocks on front!), open console, click brake 6-10 clicks, adjust nuts until you cannot freely spin wheels, release brake handle and spin wheels again to make sure you're not dragging a shoe.

Jens outlines the major adjustment from the Helm manual.
The proper precedure starts at the rear wheels .Remove them and you will see a black plug remove it .Once this is done you can rotate the rotor untill the star wheel adjuster for the e-brake is visible .Adjust this star wheel adjuster using a long thin flat blade screw driver untill the rotor is locked then back off jsut a bit till it spins again .Do this on both sides remembering that it must be done with the e-brake handle in the fully released position .Reasemble the rear of the car .Now inside the car you must remove the rear of the center console and lift it to make the final adjustment .This is done so that the e-brake handle fully locks the rear wheels with about six to seven clicks .Removing the rear half of the center console is easy ,start by removing the two trim strip that are on each side of the center console .They simply snap into place .Now remove the two screws that attach the leading edge of the rear portion of the center console .Then remove the little scrap of carpeting in the center console itself and remove the two screws there .The console can now be moved out of the way .Please not there is a single electrical connector that you must disconnect you will see it as you begin to pull the console out .It helps if you fully engage the e-brake handle for clearance...
Old 09-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I'll print out the page from the FAQ forum and give it to the service adviser the next time I want them to adjust the brakes... Maybe they'll do it correctly if I give them directions
Old 09-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Registered Douchebag

i think its time for a checkup...

thanks for the info...
Old 09-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I think I'll print out the page from the FAQ forum and give it to the service adviser the next time I want them to adjust the brakes... Maybe they'll do it correctly if I give them directions
It's in the Helm manual, and Jens rendition is amazingly close to paraphrasing the manual. The guy does know his stuff.

I adjusted my parking brake about six months ago using the minor adjustment. It only took a couple turns of the adjustment nut (in the console) to make the brakes tight at 6-10 clicks. Pretty easy, but you do have to lift the rear of the car and spin the wheels to make sure you don't overtighten and drag a shoe.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

I remembered Jens original post, but forgot that it would be in the FAQ section. They adjusted the brakes at 15k, but they didn't at 22.5K (they resurfaced all 4 rotors and installed new pads all around tho')... My dealer trys hard, but always misses somthing...

The thing with the "Console" adjustment, is that it only works for so long. The "right" way to do it is from the rear, just like Jens said. I just wish PAA was closer (it's only like 270 miles away I think).
Old 09-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Yeah I wish too it's 1200 miles from me
Old 09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Registered Douchebag

that easy huh... maybe its not time for a checkup yet...
Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
My dealer did it for me on my first 6 speed.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Slimey
It's in the Helm manual, and Jens rendition is amazingly close to paraphrasing the manual. The guy does know his stuff.

I adjusted my parking brake about six months ago using the minor adjustment. It only took a couple turns of the adjustment nut (in the console) to make the brakes tight at 6-10 clicks. Pretty easy, but you do have to lift the rear of the car and spin the wheels to make sure you don't overtighten and drag a shoe.
Mr. Slimey... The trim peices on the side of the console (that go up to the dash) just pop off ??

I don't want to break anything

Fookers didn't tuck the passenger side carpet under the console the last time they tighten the brake (minor adjustment).

They replaced my rear brakes because they had worn out to 2mm (at 22.5K). Now I know why. Fookers must have tightened the nut in the console, and didn't spin the rear wheels causing the rear pads to wear prematurely (@ 15K)

I'm should just buy the helms, and start working on my car myself...
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I think the Helm manual is my single best purchase for this car. Even if you never do any home maintenance/repair, the manual gives an idea (well, really more like step-by-step instructions) on what should happen to your car when you take it in to the mechanic. It helps me understand the complexity or simplicity of fixing any issue myself. It helps me to know my limits towards what is acheivable with a set of simple hand tools, or what requires special equipment.

The trim pieces do pop out. I'm not looking at the manual now, but if I remember correctly, you need to pop the between-the-seat portion up, and once that is released, pop the dash portion rearward. Once you do this the few screws that hold the rest of things together are self evident. Be careful of the harness to the seat warmer buttons -- I remember that this didn't unplug as easy as it should have.

There is a trap door in the bottom of the between-the-seat storage compartment that accesses the parking brake cable and adjusting nuts. Now that I know where things are, I'm sure I could get an open end wrench in there and tighten the cable by a few turns. I don't think that I'd have figured it out a priori though -- it's a bit dark and you'd be working at a bit of an angle.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanks Mr. Slimey... Sound like the trim is like the shifter boot, pop the rear out, and move the front back. I been wanting the helms for awhile, but santa didn't bring it last xmas... I'll order it when I get home
Old 06-16-2007, 07:27 PM
2nd Gear

Has anybody adjusted the e-brakes from the tires? Where is the star adjustor? I know what I am looking for, but a hint, ie 1:00, 6:00, sure would help to find the darn thing.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:08 AM
6 speed...

Originally Posted by 4ptbuck
Has anybody adjusted the e-brakes from the tires? Where is the star adjustor? I know what I am looking for, but a hint, ie 1:00, 6:00, sure would help to find the darn thing.
wow - old thread...

the star adjuster is at 6:00 - just pop off the rubber plug on the rotor (make sure you don't lose it inside the drum), rotate the hole in the rotor hub to the bottom, and use a flat blade screwdriver to increment the star wheel up or down.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

thanks!