Ticket Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticket Help

Ok....So I live in CT and got a ticket in Mass. for 21 mph over...I zoned out for 30 seconds and then....oops....so being my first ticket, should I take it to court..??

I had planned to move back to Mass in a year or so, so thats why I was asking.

Thanks
J
Old 02-18-2004, 08:35 PM
The CL Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did he get you? Coming back from the Hippodrome, Club Rain? Never plead guilty always not guilty (in most cases). You will have to go to court and will they will make a deal that will be cheaper then the ticket or they might even throw it out. Mistake I have made and will never do again.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Depending upon how the cop clocked you, you have some room to show possible "error" on the police officer. Write down everything the officer told you upon being pulled over, including lane changes, lane you were traveling, etc... Any discrepancy between what you wrote down and his testimony could help. I always write down exactly what the officer told me after being stopped on the BACK of the ticket. It can become VERY useful evidence (the officer will be asked to tell his version BEFORE your testimony).

Plead Not Guilty, and go to court. If the judge still finds you guilty, you may be able to ask for traffic school to get rid of the points. I know living in DC, points transfer from almost every state, including VA, MD, PA, NC, and most New England states. More than likely, if you are convicted of the offense, and pay the fine, points will be assesed on your CT license, not a good thing for you nor your insurance. But the latter truly depends upon the states point system, and how aggresively your insurance company searches for moving violations.

My 2 cents, hope it helps.