Thinking of getting the X

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kinda of job do you have Lou? And are they hiring? I can sure use a job that let's me switch cars more than most people change underwear.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:20 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cusdaddy
Lou... If you get the A-Spec TL, it uses Potenza RE-030's. Very similar to the 040's on the Z. They are summer tires only. The performance in the snow will be exactly the same as your Benz. They explicitly state that they can not be used in the snow.

I'd recommend getting a set of Blizzak's and cheap rims for your Benz. The outlay would only be about $1k and would save you a lot more than getting another car. I think it's worth a shot. I did it for the Z, and it helps
Just to clarify, the A-Spec TL uses Yokohama AVS ES100 (18'')......the HPT TL uses RE030 on 17'' rims. Neither are at all suitable for snow use.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:42 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hes just using this as an excuse to get a new car, lol
Old 12-07-2003, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
Just to clarify, the A-Spec TL uses Yokohama AVS ES100 (18'')......the HPT TL uses RE030 on 17'' rims. Neither are at all suitable for snow use.
Thanks for clarifying that.. I got the HPT and A-Spec packages confused
Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 PM
Senior AV6 lover

lou - get an old subaru or jeep. even anything fwd would be better like a civic or integra. Get something cheap so u can keep the CLK
keep on pimping man
Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Lone Wolf

Received 498 Likes on 399 Posts
Dont get the x5. Once winter is over youll wanna sell again. Just find a car that you want and stick with it.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Banned

well looked at getting a hoopty for the winter today. I decided to keep the click 430 for now since I love its 155 mph capabilites.. .....but I need a piece of crap FWD car for the snow. Not only that but I can use the POS to get to work and back a use it to lug around crap for when I buy my house

I only want to spend $3K for it tho.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
I would seriously at least TRY a set of winter rims/tires on the Benz before you drop coin on a beater.

Think of all the money you'll save on maintenance, insurance, parking, etc...

For the number of times you'll see these kinds of driving conditions, winter tires will probably be sufficient to get you by.

While I haven't driven in a foot of snow in my G, I did plow through 3 inches and the car was just fine, even going over over-passes...
Old 12-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Here is my interpretation and input.

The X5 is suitable for where Lou is at; a highly urban area where the thrill of driving is diminished. However, acceleration is still important. In this arena the X5 holds as much clout as the CLK430 does.

As for the impression factor, I am clueless. But then again, I don't impress with a vehicle; they all flock to me regardless.

Seriously, IMO, they both impress as well. So it comes down to preferences. In the same situation I would go with the X5.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
While I haven't driven in a foot of snow in my G, I did plow through 3 inches and the car was just fine, even going over over-passes...
Please put your Meteorological skills to work and push some snow this way. I haven't seen a good snow here for nearly a decade; at least seven years for a nice one.

We had quite a bit of rain last week with temperatures in the mid 30's. There is nothing worse than cold rain; it might as well be snowing.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert
Please put your Meteorological skills to work and push some snow this way. I haven't seen a good snow here for nearly a decade; at least seven years for a nice one.

We had quite a bit of rain last week with temperatures in the mid 30's. There is nothing worse than cold rain; it might as well be snowing.
Will do...

I seem to recall the last major storm that brought snow your way... Back in 1993 or 1994 was it??? My sister was in Florida, on spring break... Got stranded on the road. Sucked.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by scalbert

Sorry about that. I think i brought the cold from chicago with me when i came to Atlanta last weekend. Most of my cousins now have the flu from that weather. You southerns would die if ya lived in chicago. :P
Old 12-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
I seem to recall the last major storm that brought snow your way... Back in 1993 or 1994 was it??? My sister was in Florida, on spring break... Got stranded on the road. Sucked.
Yep, we had a big one in, of all times, March of 1993. We got about a foot of snow overnight when temps should have been in the 50's. It was fun but happened on Friday night/Saturday morning. In other words, it was all gone by Monday so no missed work.

It was kinda funny how the following weekend we went to PC Beach for spring break.

I can say that was the first and probably last time I will see snow in Atlanta in March.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
Sorry about that. I think i brought the cold from chicago with me when i came to Atlanta last weekend. Most of my cousins now have the flu from that weather. You southerns would die if ya lived in chicago. :P
heheh, it is all about the change of conditions. The previous week it was in the 70's.

You should have dropped me a note and we could of met for lunch. And BTW, I was born in St. Charles. IL. and lived in Geneva, IL. for a while. Cold doesn't bother me, just annoys me.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

I would have met up with GA acl guys, but i didnt have any time since i wasnt in town long.

Born in St Charles? Was it corn fields at that time? You should see it now.. its becoming huge. I live about 15min from there.

Didnt mean to thread hi-jack. Lou, stop being weird. Carry on.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Born in St Charles? Was it corn fields at that time? You should see it now.. its becoming huge.
Yep, back on August 24, 1970. There were and still are (from what i am told, corn fields nearby (not to mention Ferme to the south). But the hospital is no longer, or rather has been moved to a newer and larger facility.

The last time I was out there was when I was at a sales meeting in downtown Chicago back in '94. I brought my wife and we drove out to Geneva on the way home (although out of the way). Although it had grown up since the last time I was there, about 1979, it was still somewhat familiar. I found my home, even though I was eight at the oldest when I lived there, without a problem. I think the township idea may it easier than what they have here in the south.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

I would have met up with GA acl guys, but i didnt have any time since i wasnt in town long.
Very much understood...
Old 12-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,161 Likes on 3,640 Posts
Forget the X5, get the X3, it's got the same looks, same luggage space and yes, the engine's smaller but hell, it's probably 200 less a month for a lease!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lou,
Just my $.02: If you like the CLK, keep it. If you want to drive it all year round, just get some snow tires. For the amount of money you're probably going to shell out to get in to the X5 or even less, you can pick up a beater (used civic, cr-v, rav4, corolla, or anything that's FWD, AWD, or 4WD). $3-5k should get you something decent. As others have said, I think you'll regret it in the spring.
I just bought my C32 this past September have been enjoying it ever since until the snow. Put over 5k miles on it already. Can't drive it in the snow, because of the summer tires. So its in the garage waiting for every bit of snow & salt to clear. I'm not even considering putting snow tires on it because I don't want some idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the snow, hit me. In the meantime, I'm driving the QX4. I was going to return the QX4 at the end of the lease, but I decided to buy it (bad weather, skiing, moving stuff, etc.) Definitely worth the extra insurance payment. My suggestion is to shop for a beater. I work for a dealership, so if anything decent comes in as a trade, I'll let you know.
Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd try to help out a fellow MB owner & previous Acura owner.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by cl-driver
Lou,
Just my $.02: If you like the CLK, keep it. If you want to drive it all year round, just get some snow tires. For the amount of money you're probably going to shell out to get in to the X5 or even less, you can pick up a beater (used civic, cr-v, rav4, corolla, or anything that's FWD, AWD, or 4WD). $3-5k should get you something decent. As others have said, I think you'll regret it in the spring.
I just bought my C32 this past September have been enjoying it ever since until the snow. Put over 5k miles on it already. Can't drive it in the snow, because of the summer tires. So its in the garage waiting for every bit of snow & salt to clear. I'm not even considering putting snow tires on it because I don't want some idiot who doesn't know how to drive in the snow, hit me. In the meantime, I'm driving the QX4. I was going to return the QX4 at the end of the lease, but I decided to buy it (bad weather, skiing, moving stuff, etc.) Definitely worth the extra insurance payment. My suggestion is to shop for a beater. I work for a dealership, so if anything decent comes in as a trade, I'll let you know.
Sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd try to help out a fellow MB owner & previous Acura owner.
Thanks for your input your absolutely right about just getting the beater. I dont think the x5 would make me happy in the summer, spring, or fall.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:22 AM
900 club member

Yesterday my daughter left the interior light on in my Rover wich I was going to use today to keep the CL clean and killed the battery . I was not about ready to jump it at 5:45 am so I had to use the CL in the aftermath of the weekend snow storm. Today is a perfect example of why even if you have a beater, you've got to make sure your "good" car is able to get you where you have to go. Get the snows AND a beater Lou.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:54 AM
Drifting

The X5 has a horrible AWD system. That is all.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by hemants
The X5 has a horrible AWD system. That is all.
The '04 has the new X-Drive system which is supposed to be significantly improved.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:22 AM
-S namyaC-

If I had to drive in the snow alot, I'd want a beater for it. I wouldn't want to drive a nice X5 and risk some other idiot sliding into it. I'd keep the summer car for it's pimp factor (even tho I don't really like the last gen CLK) and get something like a Jeep.

A real Hummer (NOT the H2) would be da bomb tho...
Old 12-08-2003, 06:31 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lou get yurself a Denali and drop some 22's on the bitch, get an ill audio video system and a bor5la twin exhaust with a supercharger and you will be happy.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Priced a bit higher then a beater, but probably cheaper then then upgrades you've planned for the CLK , the Forester XT is a lot of bang for the buck. Base MT version in the low-mid $20K, decked out auto tranny leather sunroof for about $26,4xx out the door.

We love ours. It's absofuckentivly awesome in the snow, and not too shabby on the road too.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Lou
My Try the snow tires first.
When I was in NYC last Christmas, I drove up not knowing it was going to snow. I had the Toyo T1's on my stock rims. Man was I stuck. I tired to drive down the block & had no traction. I parked it till the street were clear, & even then when I hit any little patch of slush the car would skid. Scared the hell out of me. So I know where your coming from.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Oh, I must qualify my car recommendation by also agreeing with a snow tire purchase before dropping significant $$ on another car.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:00 AM
-S namyaC-

I dunno about the snow tires...even if the Benz drives fine, you can't say that about all the other drivers. It would suck to have the Benz wrecked and nothing else to drive. I say get a beater 4x4.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 AM
Drifting

lou buy a 95 exploere for like 5- 6000 .
Old 12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
Banned

Do you think Micheling Pilot A/S would suffice ???

I priced them out and $265 a tire

I think Costco should be a little cheaper but their equipment is not so good with tires less than 50 series and the polished lip on the wheels doesnt help either.

this is the math I was doing if I get $40K for the clk 430 than I would drop another $5K making it $45K on a X5 which would be $55K

I owe on the Benz less than $20K meaning at worse Ill be financing $25 K at 4% leaving me an mid $400 for a 2004 BMW 4.4 X5 with the I drive

another thing is the X5 insurance premium is not higher than the cLK 430 if anything less cause its not a sports coupe.

in the long run I would have a fast truck that is good in snow and drives like a 3 series with all-time RWD and when it needs it transfer up to 100% of power to the front wheels.

almost same gas mileage X5 slightly worse but with its 6 speed auto tranny should be close if not driven hard. Also the X5 and the clk have same resale value so its not like Im going to something worse. Also the X5 with the 4 yr 50K mile warranty and maintence will come in handy for some time.

add up the snow tires $1K ++ a winter beater $3-5K +++insurance on the winter beater Im assuming another $1.5K a year ++ headache of parking the winter beater in the street with alternate side parking

In the long run Ill be paying the same

remember the clk 430 will never be closer to the selling price of the x5 later on...the cars depreciate more with time and mileage which will be tacked on.

I might be able to put more money down if I can sell my Alpine IVA 900 and alpine navi since I wont need it on the x

all this is just my optimistic thinking Im sure if I go to the BMW dealer they will offer me $35K for a 2002 MB clk 430 with 11K miles on it..in mint and I do mean mint condition which would change the whole situation not making feasible.

Thanks

Lou
Old 12-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Where is my super sauce?

We should start a betting pool on what car Lou will be driving next week...next month...next year...

Old 12-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Slimey
We should start a betting pool on what car Lou will be driving next week...next month...next year...

come on slimey you guys are making me out to be nuts
Old 12-08-2003, 01:35 PM
-S namyaC-

Man, if you are replacing the CLK, try to find the X5 4.6. It's got damn nice numbers for an SUV, and def has a look that sets it off. Dealers might be willing to deal some on them as they aren't offering it for 2004.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by proaudio22
Man, if you are replacing the CLK, try to find the X5 4.6. It's got damn nice numbers for an SUV, and def has a look that sets it off. Dealers might be willing to deal some on them as they aren't offering it for 2004.
yea thats because it will be a 4.8 with some incredible HP #s

Ill be happy with over 300 Hp and 300 tq for a truck thats not to shabby and 0-60 in 6.8

but I did hear that the x3 with the 3.0 will be as fast but will have more cargo room but less fuel efficient. Can you believe it a V8 that consumes less gas than a straight 6 LD
Old 12-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

I think Lou already made up his stubborn ass mind.

Have fun with the X5 kid
Old 12-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
damn lou if you sell that benz hit me up; i may want to buy it.

edit: at an acura-cl.com discount of course.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Banned

I think Lou already made up his stubborn ass mind.

Have fun with the X5 kid
not at all the streets are wet now and the click 430 rips very nice...it weird how the car drives so beautiful in the dry and wet but through some snow and its all over the place.

I love my click 430 and it would be difficult to get one as well kept, low miles, nice color and interior, nicely equipped, and the discounted price I got.

I dont like the new CLK so this car to me can very well be a classic beautiful looking car you just cant get anymore....that is hard to give up for a run of the mill, common BMW x5 and I dont really like the interior that much.

I was trying to think practical and for the long haul but like I said only if I got $40K for the clk430 meaning I wouldnt lose that much at all unlike the cl-s $5K
Old 12-08-2003, 01:57 PM
-S namyaC-

Originally posted by lou
yea thats because it will be a 4.8 with some incredible HP #s

Ill be happy with over 300 Hp and 300 tq for a truck thats not to shabby and 0-60 in 6.8

but I did hear that the x3 with the 3.0 will be as fast but will have more cargo room but less fuel efficient. Can you believe it a V8 that consumes less gas than a straight 6 LD
4.4 X5
0-60 - 6.8
mpg, auto - 13/17

3.0 X3
0-60 - 7.6 (M) 7.8 (A)
mpg, manual - 17/25
mpg, auto - 16/23

The V8 still owns the I6 in fuel consumtion...
Old 12-08-2003, 02:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by proaudio22
4.4 X5
0-60 - 6.8
mpg, auto - 13/17

3.0 X3
0-60 - 7.6 (M) 7.8 (A)
mpg, manual - 17/25
mpg, auto - 16/23

The V8 still owns the I6 in fuel consumtion...
please read straight from Edmunds full review

There is still a choice of six- or eight-cylinder power, but this year the V8 is different. Borrowing the 4.4-liter V8 from the current 7 Series, the X5 4.4i now offers 315 horsepower (an increase of 25 ponies) and the same stout 324 pound-feet of torque. Driving through a new six-speed automatic, the new 4.4i can sprint to 60 mph in just 6.8 seconds, about a half-second quicker than before. Another benefit of the new drivetrain is markedly better fuel efficiency; the 4.4i is now rated at 16 city and 22 highway — increases of 2 and 4 mpg, respectively, over last year's 4.4i. Stab the throttle at virtually any speed and the V8 pulls hard, with a sweet exhaust growl adding to the sensory delights. The gear changes from the new six-speed automatic went virtually unnoticed, silent testament to the tranny's great efficiency and smooth operation.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting the X