Thinking about a supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 06:22 PM
Masshole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about a supra

I've been looking into Supra's lately, I don't know why, but I think they are nice cars. Anyway to my question, do Supra's have a high markup on them?

I pass by a Toyota dealer every day on my way home, and the other day I noticed something that made me pull a U-turn. Sitting at the edge of their lot by the road was a black NSX, a red (1995) supra (Natural Aspirated), and next to that was a black Supra (1994) supra.

So I pulled in to inquire, and they tell me that this Toyota dealer of Westboro MA, is the largest Toyota Supra dealer in the country (I think they said country). Come to find out the black Supra has the following stats:

Year 1995
Black on Black with spoiler and tinted windows
Aprox. 44,000 miles
Twin Turbo
After market Exhaust (don't know what type/brand)
Boost gauges on the left pillar.

Other then that I don't know if they have modded the engine. Now here is that part I'm confused on, they said the price of it is $27,000. I looked that puppy up online at carpoint and this is what it gives me as a price:

aprox $17,000

Here is where it gets interesting, the deal tells me they are full-disclosure dealer, and that this particular supra has been in a collision, but has recently been restored. The transmission is also grinding going into 3rd which tells me the synchro must be shot, and perhaps they put it through a few 1/4 mile runs to say the least.

Does this car warrant a $10,000 markup?? Carpoint says it is around $17,00 even with the low mileage. If it was around $17K I would think about it, but the fact that it was in a collision bothers me. I could see a little over the retail stated online, but not this much. They said it had new brakes and tires installed, and they are replacing the tranny. If these cars have this much of a markup then I think I'm gunna stop looking and stick to my CL-S
Old 07-11-2002, 06:27 PM
Old timer

Because every ricer and their brother wanted one after seeing Fast&Furious. If you can get a used MkIV for around $25-30k you're about average price. Some that are already modded will sell for a lot more.

Ugh. I'm staying away from the whole Supra scene just because of how inflated the prices are and how trendy they have become. Fuck it, I'll buy a plain car and make it just as fast so I can have a sleeper. People see a Supra and they already know it might be fast.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:27 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Personally, I'd walk away......

Will the dealer be willing to repair the tranny before you buy it?

If not, I would question the integrity of that dealership. Most reputable dealers will not sell a car with such an obvious problem.
Old 07-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Masshole

Originally posted by Tom2
Personally, I'd walk away......

Will the dealer be willing to repair the tranny before you buy it?

If not, I would question the integrity of that dealership. Most reputable dealers will not sell a car with such an obvious problem.
Yes, they said they are going to replace the tranny, the part was in and they are going to install it sometime next week I believe. they said i should come back for a test drive after it has been fixed. My goal for this was to get a project car. I'm not into the rice scene, I would like to make the car look more conservative if anything, that's just my own preference.

Since it seems like the resell of this car is very high, I'm not going to persue this car. The fact that it was in a wreck makes me even more hesitant to consider it. If I could get a supra around $17, then I would keep my CL-S and work on the Supra... I never see MkIV's around here, so seeing two at the dealer really caught my eye. (not to mention the NSX sitting next to it)

Oh well, I guess that about sums it up. Unless I go with a MkIII or earlier, I probably won't find one for a decent price.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:53 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are way OVER blue book!!!! My buddy was thinking about getting one. I went with him to go look at a 97 TT. I was Royal Sapphire Blue. CLEAN AS FAWK!!!!! Guy switched out the Tan interior to all black!! TRD steering wheel. BLITZ rims. One of the cleanest cars I have EVER SEEN!!!!!! It had 40K miles on it and it was an Automatic, and he was still asking $40K!!!!!!!!!! He would have take $38K, but DAYUM!!!!! It had a few bolt on mods too. It would be an AWESOME car to have, but that is a lot of money!!!! If you can afford it, go for it!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:31 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by AztecRol
They are way OVER blue book!!!! My buddy was thinking about getting one. I went with him to go look at a 97 TT. I was Royal Sapphire Blue. CLEAN AS FAWK!!!!! Guy switched out the Tan interior to all black!! TRD steering wheel. BLITZ rims. One of the cleanest cars I have EVER SEEN!!!!!! It had 40K miles on it and it was an Automatic, and he was still asking $40K!!!!!!!!!! He would have take $38K, but DAYUM!!!!! It had a few bolt on mods too. It would be an AWESOME car to have, but that is a lot of money!!!! If you can afford it, go for it!!!!
I was figuring they had a high markup, but I wanted to hear what others thought. I was hoping that someone would say this dealer was a rip-off and that Supras are reasonably priced (IE not $10,000 over Kelly blue book for a beat up repaired wreck)

I could see where a 97 that looked fabulous and had low milage was a high-ticket item, but a 94 that wasn't all too clean, and has a bad record...it sounds a bit shady to me.
Old 07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
What can I get ya?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the tranny is bad with only 44k on it, stay away from that car. The thing has been beat
Old 07-12-2002, 02:06 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by Handruin

I was figuring they had a high markup, but I wanted to hear what others thought. I was hoping that someone would say this dealer was a rip-off and that Supras are reasonably priced (IE not $10,000 over Kelly blue book for a beat up repaired wreck)

I could see where a 97 that looked fabulous and had low milage was a high-ticket item, but a 94 that wasn't all too clean, and has a bad record...it sounds a bit shady to me.
OK here you go!!!

THIS DEALER IS A RIP-OFF!!!!!!!!!

All used car dealers are shady!!!!!!!!!!

www.supraforums.com

Always a few good ones for sale here.
My buddy found that RSP one on AutoTrader.
Old 07-12-2002, 02:24 PM
Banned

My friend had a Supra TT automatic with targa top for 24K.....

Best of both worlds...uber fast and no shifting required..
and topless so the chicks can see who is the guy with the small dick....
Old 07-12-2002, 02:30 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by moomaster_99
and topless so the chicks can see who is the guy with the small dick....
I have the same theory, the faster the car, the smaller the unit!!
Hey Dustin, isn't your car faster than mine???????

Yeah it is!!!!! A LOT FASTER!!!!!!!! HMMMM!!!!!

Poor D!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 02:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

IMO I wouldn't get the N/A Supra, I'd only get the TT. Also I would be looking are for a manual. The TT auto's don't take entirely too well to mod'n. Unless you beef up the trans too. Where as the manual will take a good beating.

If you have the $$, get one. I'll be one of many who is 100% jealous. I really like that car. I always have for the past 6-7 years.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by SiGGy
IMO I wouldn't get the N/A Supra, I'd only get the TT. Also I would be looking are for a manual. The TT auto's don't take entirely too well to mod'n. Unless you beef up the trans too. Where as the manual will take a good beating.

If you have the $$, get one. I'll be one of many who is 100% jealous. I really like that car. I always have for the past 6-7 years.
True about the auto...but you can always swap it out.....its not very hard....
Old 07-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
1995 Toyota : Supra
'95 Supra TT 6sp 1000hp

US $69,750.00 (reserve not yet met)

Auction has ended.

Started Jul-04-02 21:17:29 PDT
ends Jul-11-02 21:17:29 PDT

Old 07-12-2002, 06:58 PM
Masshole

Where that is definitely a nice supra, it leaves ittle for me to worki with. Seriously thought, that is a bit out of my price range (more then a bit)

I'm only considdering a TT with a manual tranny. I'll keep looking and something may turn up some day. I read that it's tough to add a turbo to some of the NA models, so i would definitely go with the TT from the begining. I was also reading about a bunch of the MkIII's having head gasket issues...I hope the MkIV isn't prone to this.

I spent a few minutes looking throught the supra forums and the people there are selling the supras for top dollar. I guess I was out of it thinking I could find a supra for a good price.

I'm not looking at this car to compensate for any unit. I'm looking for a nice sports car and I happen to like the Supra. I want something to modify and personalize. They seem to be decent cars.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:56 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by Bdog
1995 Toyota : Supra
'95 Supra TT 6sp 1000hp

US $69,750.00 (reserve not yet met)

Auction has ended.

Started Jul-04-02 21:17:29 PDT
ends Jul-11-02 21:17:29 PDT

9 SECOND CAR!!!!!!!!!!

He wants over $70K for it. I heard around $75K!!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 07:59 PM
Not Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally posted by Handruin

I spent a few minutes looking throught the supra forums and the people there are selling the supras for top dollar
A friend is a dealer and just sold one, a 94 with 98,000 miles for $21,000. He said they are still getting top dollar at car auctions. Everybody want to put theirs on Ebay and that is running the prices up. From what I have been seeing everybody is changing the turbo setup when they get one to twin HKS's or a big single turbo. If you don't know about the Walser Supra check out the media section and you will want a Supra even more. http://www.walserrz.com/
Old 07-13-2002, 01:15 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by Bdog
If you don't know about the Walser Supra check out the media section and you will want a Supra even more. http://www.walserrz.com/

I watching those videos!!!!!! AWESOME CAR!!!!!!
Blowing by the Twin Turbo NOS Vette!!!!!!!!
It makes me GIDDY like a school girl knowing an import can eat American muscle like that!!!!

That Supra must be possessed!!!>;] >;] >;] >;]
Old 07-13-2002, 12:39 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Too much money for a car that has seen snow. Try to go further south for a car that has seen less of the elements. Also, if you have the loot for a Supra to begin with, then you also have the pateince to hunt one down for a reasonable price. Tell that dealer to quit sucking on 'Monkey Nipple' and go somewhere else!

Expect a markup of around 25% of Blue book, but anything beyond that is very questionable and bodering foolish if you ask me.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:44 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by dajuice27
Tell that dealer to quit sucking on 'Monkey Nipple'
Is this a BAD thing?????

HMMMMMMMM

How will I tell Bonzo????????