Texas Residents - Law Change...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 04:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas Residents - Law Change...

This was posted on my site tonight and felt it was important to pass along (moderator - feel free to move if needed)

Texas Residents - Support a Bill to eliminate front license plates

If you are interested in seeing the law that requires front license plates amended, please read on. I am posting this on the following UBB's:

Lone Star Corvette Club Forum
C5 Registry Forum
Corvette Forum
C5 Forum
ModernMusclecar.net Forum
Viper Club Forum
Mustang Corral Forums
LS1.com Forum
SCCA Forum
Miata.net Forum
NSX Sports Car Forum

If you are affiliated with any other boards, please quote or reference this information, then post here to let us know where. We need to reach out to all car clubs in Texas for support (this is not just about Corvettes). I'm sure our friends in the F-Body, Mustang, Viper, BMW, Porsche, Supra, RX-7, Miata, & other clubs would be just as interested.

There isn't much time, since the deadline to introduce the bill would be March 1st. That could get moved up due to redistricting planned this session.

Click here to read the rest of the story because he has posted a bunch of helpful links: http://www.nsxsc.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000001.html

NSXSC

Old 02-10-2001, 03:35 PM
Race Director

I would think that the best way to tackle this would be to point out the cost savings to the State. Other than that, I can't possibly think of a reason why a state that formerly required a front plate would reverse.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-10-2001, 05:23 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
I would think that the best way to tackle this would be to point out the cost savings to the State
</font>
I think requiring a front plate is probably a net positive for the state. Sure, they have to spend money making the plates. But they get revenue from citations for not displaying it. Plus, it gives them an excuse for pulling you over.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 02-10-2001, 07:17 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mdaniel:
I think requiring a front plate is probably a net positive for the state. Sure, they have to spend money making the plates. But they get revenue from citations for not displaying it. Plus, it gives them an excuse for pulling you over.

</font>
Actually there's only a handful of people in this country who care anything about a front license plate or not. The cops could care less, too. Yeah, it's an excuse but Kansas doesn't require a front plate and Missouri does so here in Kansas City, half the cars have front plate and half don't. I bet the police don't know and don't care here otherwise they'll spend all day looking at cars. Also I've never heard anyone from Kansas bragging to Missourians they their car is frontplateless.

Look at his list: Corvettes and Vipers and other muscles/sports cars. When I lived in TX, these cars were less than 1% of the road. No revenue there.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 02-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Celica - http://www.celica.net
3-series - http://www.e46fanatics.com/home/
IS300 - http://www.is300.net
Old 02-10-2001, 09:09 PM
Race Director

Ok, somebody help me with the front license plate deal. You don't want a front license plate required because of what?

Certainly there's gotta be something besides "It makes my car look ugly."

Second, tell me why you think the state requires you to display a front license plate.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 02-10-2001, 09:53 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
Certainly there's gotta be something besides "It makes my car look ugly."

Second, tell me why you think the state requires you to display a front license plate.

</font>
The ugly thing sums it up. I think it looks better without it. But I'm a pussy so I obey the law and leave it on.

In CA, they require front plates largely for the cameras. They have cameras at intersections that take a photo of your face and front plate if you run a red light. They do the same thing if you run through the automated toll road lanes without an electronic transponder. In both cases, they use the front plate to look up your address and mail you a ticket.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 02-10-2001, 10:36 PM
Banned

I don't care about the law, and like you said ken, the cops have better things to do than look at my luxury coupe and see if I have my front plate on or not.

In TX, I have lived here over 10 years of my life, I have always taken the front plate off and never had a problem. I have a lot of other friends, who have also never had a problem.

I don't think TX will amend the law and reverse it's ruling on this matter.

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-11-2001, 01:33 AM
Learn to swim.

I haven't had a front LP on any of my cars for the last five years and only been pulled over three times-all in the same day(labor Day weekend) If they want an excuse to pull you over like New Years of the 4th to see if your fit to drive they'll use it, but otherwise I don't think they bother.
Old 02-11-2001, 01:43 AM
ACME sucks!

I haven't had a front plate on since 1989. When I bought my '89 Camaro, the bra would not fit with the front plate on, so I took it off and never looked back. My next car was a '98 Sebring, and it never saw the front plate. Neither has my CL-S.

Not only are they tacky, the CL's front plate will mess up the paint.

Ken: You don't live in Texas so don't sweat it. Let us Texans worry about the reasons to keep it ot lose it. Thanks.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

35% tint/Wheel locks/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil-1 5W-30 oil & filter/One scratched rim
Old 02-11-2001, 01:55 AM
Number 37

I moved to Dallas from AZ. I took it off the day I got my car, and unless a judge orders me to put it on, it will stay in my closet.

------------------
Please have a crane drop on my car so I have to buy a new CL-S. But wait till I'm not in the car. Thanks
Old 02-11-2001, 03:17 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
I haven't had a front plate on since 1989. When I bought my '89 Camaro, the bra would not fit with the front plate on, so I took it off and never looked back. My next car was a '98 Sebring, and it never saw the front plate. Neither has my CL-S.

Not only are they tacky, the CL's front plate will mess up the paint.

Ken: You don't live in Texas so don't sweat it. Let us Texans worry about the reasons to keep it ot lose it. Thanks.
</font>
My family lives in Texas. Grew up in San Antonio, lived there for 18 years, kept my Texas license plate while living in Minnesota for many years. Yes, while in Minnesota, I only displayed one Texas plate, vanity plate on the front. Every Minnesotan (including the police) gave me sh*t but couldn't do anything about it. I guess that's where I got it from. Sorry.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 02-12-2001, 03:30 AM
10th Gear

Now I ask you... would you want to put a front plate on this car...

(fresh picture from Texas World Speedway)

More pictures: www.nsxsc.om/bios

[This message has been edited by twonsxs (edited 02-12-2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 01:36 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by twonsxs:
Now I ask you... would you want to put a front plate on this car...

(fresh picture from Texas World Speedway)

More pictures: www.nsxsc.om/bios

[This message has been edited by twonsxs (edited 02-12-2001).]
</font>
Yeah baby, that's what I'm taking about!!!!

Hell no, ain't no way a front plate is going on there!

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-12-2001, 01:43 PM
magnet

im glad we dont put font liceanse plates here in florida

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s
Old 02-12-2001, 01:44 PM
magnet

im glad we dont put font liceanse plates here in florida

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims, greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, slammed on nex suspension

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s