Tested: AEM Air-Bypass valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tested: AEM Air-Bypass valve

The April 2001 issue of Sport Compact Car has a test of the AEM AIR-BYPASS valve on an NSX. The article starts on page 64 [Wrench Report].

The actually tested the valve on a NSX. The NSX being operated on a dyno with an "assistant" lowering the K&N filter into a "fishtank" filled with water at various power levels.

If you are thinking about getting a CAI, you should check the article.

Hopefully, I won't get sued for excerpting the end of the article. Here goes:

" The moral of the story? Use an AEM air-bypass valve (They can be purchased separately and inserted into existing cold air intakes if you wish.) and when you pull out of the puddle, don't start racing until you have given the water enough time to drain out of the bottom of your intake." <END>

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-03-2001, 11:26 PM
on bin laden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just put on my xephyr intake (incl. aem bypass) today, with all the melting snow up here today, i was unable to avoid the puddles, so i'm glad it works!!!

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-04-2001, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I just installed my Xephyr intake and was wondering what is to stop a small amount of water being sucked up? Wouldn't even a small amount of water being sucked up damage the engine? Just wondering, car sounds great and feels even stronger pulling at high rpms.

------------------
'01 Acura CL Type S nothing special yet but give me a month or so.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:56 PM
Banned

Hey folks Glad to hear your are pleased with your Xephyr Performance CAI's ! Just thought I'd chime in on the water ingestion questions. Water ingestion is obviously very BAD , but the quantity required is considerably more then the droplets that may pass through the bypass valve. The way the bypass valve works it prevents a column of water from entering. I am unsure of the actual quantity of water that is required to cause hydro-lock phenomenon, however the droplets that might enter do not offer sufficient volume to inhibit compression such that it causes connecting rods to bend. If you look into the turbocharged world they do in high performance applications use an atomizer with water to cool the air resulting from the compression through the turbo. In all the amount required to cause damage is much more then drops as it passes through the injectors, however a tablespoon in one cylinder Im sure will result in a very bad experience for anyone who might meet this quick demise....

Chris Koncur
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes

[This message has been edited by Xephyr2K (edited 03-04-2001).]
Old 03-04-2001, 06:10 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
Hey folks Glad to hear your are pleased with your Xephyr Performance CAI's ! Just thought I'd chime in on the water ingestion questions. Water ingestion is obviously very BAD , but the quantity required is considerably more then the droplets that may pass through the bypass valve. The way the bypass valve works it prevents a column of water from entering. I am unsure of the actual quantity of water that is required to cause hydro-lock phenomenon, however the droplets that might enter do not offer sufficient volume to inhibit compression such that it causes connecting rods to bend. If you look into the turbocharged world they do in high performance applications use an atomizer with water to cool the air resulting from the compression through the turbo. In all the amount required to cause damage is much more then drops as it passes through the injectors, however a tablespoon in one cylinder Im sure will result in a very bad experience for anyone who might meet this quick demise....

Chris Koncur
Xephyr Performance, LLC.

</font>
Hey, by the way, did you ever get a chance to send me that bypass?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-04-2001, 07:40 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

geez toker--made a few posts lately??? heh, heh
Old 03-04-2001, 07:59 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by silverESS:
geez toker--made a few posts lately??? heh, heh</font>

It was the only way I could give myself a different title ;-)

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-04-2001, 08:04 PM
I am Jack's need 4 SPEED!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

It was the only way I could give myself a different title ;-)

</font>
okay, okay...very well deserved and no argument from me--let's see how long it takes everyone to catch up
Old 03-04-2001, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, a few drops will never hurt. I used to install water injection systems on Bimmers to control pinging on high compression engines...

If the filter gets soaked or submerged, then watch out. It doesn't take a lot of water to hydrolock an engine. Check out the April 2001 issue -- it has the exact information required to calculate the volume of water required to bust an engine.

If a cylinder inhales enough water to exceed the available volume at TDC (Top Dead Center), one or more pieces of engine will break.

If this didn't happen, there would be no reason for people like AEM and others to make anti-hydrolock devices.

BTW -- I sure hope that people don't start thinking that rain drops entering in the intake will bust the engine.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
Old 03-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Banned

EricL,

LOL good explanation Now for my disclaimer:

DO NOT TRY TO PUT A TABLESPOON OF WATER IN YOUR CYLINDER AS A TEST lol I wouldnt want someone to think that it is a way to find out the breaking limit LOL

Chris K.

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Xephyr Performance Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Best GTECH Sprint 6.05 Xephyr Performance Intakes