Sway bar update

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 04:09 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
Sway bar update

Drove up to Santa Barbara today to see " Dual Visions of the American West: Photographs by Macduff Everton and David Muench" at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. Round trip was 274 miles of freeway and secondary roads. The bars DO make for a stiffer ride over broken pavement, expansion joints and railroad crossings. The car definitely feels more planted at speeds above 80 mph. All in all I still think they are a good choice as long as you do not mind losing some of the soft ride. For those in the southern California area I would highly recommend this exhibit, here is a link to a description: http://sbmuseart.org/exhibition/index.html

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 02-18-2001, 11:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever drove a late 90's Integra?
Would you say a CLs with the sways only & springs/sways are comparabe to the Integra ride, or just a bit softer??

CL-S
CL-S w/ sways
CL-S w/ sways & springs
Teg

I used to have a 96 teg, it was very tight in the turns, and a bit stiff on the road. Felt every little bump.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt

No Navi cause no matter where I go, there I am
Old 02-18-2001, 11:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Athena_CL_TypeS:
Have you ever drove a late 90's Integra?
Would you say a CLs with the sways only & springs/sways are comparabe to the Integra ride, or just a bit softer??

CL-S
CL-S w/ sways
CL-S w/ sways & springs
Teg

I used to have a 96 teg, it was very tight in the turns, and a bit stiff on the road. Felt every little bump.

</font>
I would be interested in this as well as I owned a '95 and '98 GS-R ... thinking about at least getting sways ... springs are probably not on the list (headers, CAI, then sways - for now).

------------------
'01 CL-S Silver/Ebony
Old 02-18-2001, 11:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I got all three and I love it.
True the sways and springs will make the ride a little stiff but not too much. If I had the choice to do it over again I would do it in a heart beat.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 02-19-2001, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

After Springs:
No more front of car lifting up from stop to full throttle. No more rear lifting up after hard stop. Can change lanes like nothing. Still felt body roll accelerating during a tight turn.

After Swaybars and Headers:
No more body roll accelerating hard during and out of turns. Steering feels tighter (dunno why). More power (from headers)

------------------
01 Silver CL Type S
PIAA roadlamps, Comptech Springs, Comptech Headers, Comptech Swaybars, Zaino Shine
Xephyr Performance CAI when i get it

[This message has been edited by delmonk (edited 02-18-2001).]
Old 02-19-2001, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I also was very worried about losing some of the stock ride softness. And to be clear, the springs and sways do make the car more firm. BUT NOT HUGELY SO.
And what was equally surprising is that the difference is so marginal that I cannot remember what the original ride was like. THE CAR IS JUST AS QUIET AS STOCK. With that being said I must add this. If after I had installed my springs and sways and I found that the car was noisy, bumpy and bone jarring, I would still keep them on because the car RIDES so much better. Barely any roll which is confidence inspiring especially in this powerful a car. Finally if I was not satisfied with the ride upon the suspension upgrade I KNOW that I could always reinstall the stock springs and sways.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
•White\Black
•Comptech Springs
•Comptech Sways
•Navigation System
•Burlwood Shifter
•Guards+Fenderwell Trim
•Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-19-2001, 02:24 AM
Dan
Safety Car

My wife drives a 1990 Integra GS. If the ride of the Integra is a 1, and the ride of a stock CL-S is a 10, the ride of the CL-S with sways only is about a 4/5 when comparing stiffness. I notice no extra noise with the sways. My biggest disappointment with the sways is the ride over freeway expansion joints; very noticeable jolts compared to the stock suspension. Again, I think it is a good trade off for the extra stability. I will post again after living with the sways for a month or so; after memory of the stock ride fades.

------------------
Old 02-19-2001, 03:16 AM
I love my CL-S

how long does it take to install the sways??

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter

clean cl-s=270 HP
Old 02-19-2001, 03:45 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Comptech says 2 hours and that is what the dealer charged. Bet it can be done in less.

------------------
Old 02-19-2001, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan:
The bars DO make for a stiffer ride over broken pavement, expansion joints and railroad crossings.

</font>
Life in the northeast is full of potholes and constant road repair. I'd really like to upgrade the sways but I'm concerned about the ride effects. I was thinking about just swapping the rear bar first to allow the front to articulate more. Has anyone else just swapped one end, any thoughts or ideas?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 02-19-2001, 10:27 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WiLd~CL~TYPS-@SS:
how long does it take to install the sways??

</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted byDanComptech says 2 hours and that is what the dealer charged. Bet it can be done in less.</font>
Dan is right. Jens over at Park Avenue Acura got my sways installed for $74. I'm not sure of the labor rate but I know it isn't only $37/hour.

Dan, sorry to hear about the fuss your car is making concerning expansion joints, etc... Do you have springs also installed? I'm in the East and we have lots of joints, holes and generally crumbling roads and I cannot characterize the ride when going over them as jolting. Certainly I'm no engineer so I am probably wrong in thinking that having only stiffer sway bars (without springs) would not make a car feel uncomfortably jolting when driving over irregular roads.

Thank you

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
•White\Black
•Comptech Springs
•Comptech Sways
•Navigation System
•Burlwood Shifter
•Guards+Fenderwell Trim
•Smokers Package
My Car
Old 02-19-2001, 04:01 PM
Pro

I believe that the sways contribute more to the perceived stiffness of the car more than the springs. Reason is our CL-S, like most Hondas/Acuras, has a double wishbone suspension for independent suspension travel over uneven roads, thus allowing our cars to be more composed. With the sways, the movement of the suspension is limited due to the stiffness of the bars. Because of this, our cars are stiffer than the stock ones in that sense.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-19-2001, 07:32 PM
Dan
Safety Car

To Tel1ssps; replace bars as a set or not at all. You will unbalance the handling by doing only (1) bar.

To Al Uminum; Don't get me wrong the jolting is not unconfortable just different from the ride I have gotten used to in the 11 months I have owned the car. Two months from now with nothing to compare it to, it will seem fine.

------------------
Old 02-19-2001, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Do sway bars void the suspension warranty??

Do you have to drill to install? Or does it replace the existing one on the same attachment points????

------------------
01' CL Type-S, Navigation, Spoiler
4% tint on the backs and 34% on the fronts
Eibach Springs (2" Drop)
Old 02-19-2001, 10:14 PM
Pro

mishka,

The sways are direct replacements. No drilling necessary. Just replace and enjoy

As for warranty, that depends on your dealer.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 02-19-2001, 11:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

The dealer told me that the sways will not void the warranty.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI