Sway bar Set w/o Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 05:57 PM
ACME sucks!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar Set w/o Springs

Any of you guys using the Comptech sway bars with stock springs and rims/tires?

If so, have you noticed enough of a difference to necessitate paying the $500 (price includes installation)?

Thanks!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel locks/35% tint/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-18-2001, 12:58 AM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
They are in the garage holding down the workbench. Install will be in about 2-3 weeks at the 15,000 mile service. I will post my opinion then. They sure are beefy! I am wondering if anyone has had a squeaking problem with the rears? Comptech's catalog makes mention of this possibility.

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited 01-17-2001).]
Old 01-19-2001, 12:11 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The squeeking you refer to is caused by the polyurethane bushings used in the rear sway bar mounts.The sway bar set should have come with grease for this.In time as the grease loses it's effectiveness and it will be neccessary to relubricate the bushings.Your installer should be aware of this.Provided the bushings are greased on a routine basis noise should not be an issue at all. Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-19-2001, 12:50 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
The squeeking you refer to is caused by the polyurethane bushings used in the rear sway bar mounts.The sway bar set should have come with grease for this.In time as the grease loses it's effectiveness and it will be neccessary to relubricate the bushings.Your installer should be aware of this.Provided the bushings are greased on a routine basis noise should not be an issue at all. Jens

</font>
What is considered routine basis?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Nose Mask/Mud Guards/Wheel locks/
Comptech Springs & Filter/PIAA 1969/20% Tint/Acura lettering removed/
12in Sub with AMP/Dynomated Trunk/Sub control under dash/
Clifford G4 Solaris Alarm
Old 01-19-2001, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do they have grease fittings? If they do it should not be a problem. If they don't you would have to disconnect the bushing mount.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-19-2001, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

Bumping this one up.....I'd to like to know if there are grease fittings. Thanks

------------------
2001 CL-S, Silver Satin. Soon to include Comptech headers
Old 01-19-2001, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

MikeB@Comptech, can you comment on this?

------------------
1998 Acura 2.3CL
Coming Soon:
'02 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Old 01-19-2001, 08:56 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
No grease fittings. Bob at Comptech told me has only needed to grease the bushings on his car once in 40,000 miles. Your mileage may vary & no guarantees. I asked if there were any hard rubber bushings available and he said that they had tried different manufactures and not found any that would hold up. It is only the rear bushings we are talking about and it does not look like much of a job to take them off and lube them. I wonder if the grease Comptech supplies for installation is silicon based?

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 01-19-2001, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan:
No grease fittings. Bob at Comptech told me has only needed to grease the bushings on his car once in 40,000 miles. Your mileage may vary & no guarantees. I asked if there were any hard rubber bushings available and he said that they had tried different manufactures and not found any that would hold up. It is only the rear bushings we are talking about and it does not look like much of a job to take them off and lube them. I wonder if the grease Comptech supplies for installation is silicon based?

</font>
Did you get the idea that the bushings could be greased in situ or did they have to come apart? What kind of $$$ are we talking if they have to be removed/replaced?

Old 01-19-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro

EricL,

The bushings will need to be removed for greasing, but it's not hard at all. You can do it yourself. I had to do that occasionally on my previous Lude Si. I used a graphite base lubricant. Lasts > 6months per treatment.

------------------
Frank
01-S White/Parchment
Comptech Sways & Springs
Old 01-19-2001, 10:36 PM
retired

Relubricating these bushings is about a 10 minute project,since we install Comptech at the dealer where I work, I plan on just going ahead and doing the work as a normal part of a service.I figure every 15.000 service I'll just do it to avoid any problems. Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 01-20-2001, 10:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Relubricating these bushings is about a 10 minute project,since we install Comptech at the dealer where I work, I plan on just going ahead and doing the work as a normal part of a service.I figure every 15.000 service I'll just do it to avoid any problems. Jens
</font>

Btw Jens no rush (re aying for a cantilevered bridgework in my mouth) but I was wondering if you had heard anything about those rims?

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White\Black\Navi\Comptech Springs+Sways\Burl Shifter\Guards\Smokers Package
Old 01-20-2001, 02:32 PM
retired

Rob:
regarding wheels etc,I spoke to Tony(his uncle is the suppler apparently),and I would imagine the best route to go here is to go and pick out the wheels at 46 Motorsport get the exact part number and size,once I have that I'll give the information to Tony so he can get us the price on the wheel.My only other suggestion here might be The Tire Rack.I have done alot of business with them in the past and have always gotten nothing short of excellent service from them.They have an interactive webpage where you can plug different wheels into a side view of your car to see how it will look.Either way let me know.Jens

------------------
Old 01-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Rob:
regarding wheels etc,I spoke to Tony(his uncle is the suppler apparently),and I would imagine the best route to go here is to go and pick out the wheels at 46 Motorsport get the exact part number and size,once I have that I'll give the information to Tony so he can get us the price on the wheel...snip, snip.......
</font>
Jens
Thats a plan. I'll get the specs for the rims. I hope your in NO RUSH as I'm not liquid this month. You mention the Tirerack and they've some nice looking BBS RX (17x7.5) rims that I'd love. (These might be the ones featured on comptechs site, on the white CLS) Does Tony do BBS?

Oh and about the you offering me the use of the wash rack. Thanks again. Don't worry. I'm not bringing everybody. Just my uncle Chickie. He's got a Euclid R130B Earth Mover he needs cleaned. It's 226,800 Kg empty and torques at 3,882 lb ft@1500rpm so I hope there isn't to much soap on the wash rack floor because it does need some brake work.

regards
Rob

------------------
01 CL Type-S, White\Black\Navi\Comptech Springs+Sways\Burl Shifter\Guards\Smokers Package
Old 01-21-2001, 03:33 PM
retired

Rob:You know ever since they built the new service department building here at Park Ave the mechanics have wondered if it should have been made larger,perhaps that earthmover could "accidently"help us out convincing management that we are correct in our assessment of the building size.Ill let you know on the BBS rims though I believe he mentioned those as well.Jens

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jens Heydel (edited 01-21-2001).]
Old 01-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Rob:You know ever since they built the new service department building here at Park Ave the mechanics have wondered if it should have been made larger,perhaps that earthmover could "accidently"help us out convincing management that we are correct in our assessment of the building size.Ill let you know on the BBS rims though I believe he mentioned those as well.Jens
</font>
nyuk nyuk nyuk … I think management might see the sense of increasing the building size in smaller steps than those created by a lurching, no-brakes earthmover. But hey, some times you gotta get their attention.

But Jens you do have my ATTENTION as concerns possible BBS RX's for my ride. Man o man my ride might look like that white CLS on the Comptech site except for 1" less of rim height, which I and my arse can certainly can live with.

Thanks again Jens.

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 12:45 AM
retired

Rob:I had BBS RX 17 inch rollers on my last car ('95 Nissan 240 SX)And found them to be virtually indestructable on our wonderfully paved roads in the tristate area.In four years and some 130.000 miles not even a hint of a bend and I hit potholes big enough to swallow small sedans.However light weight was not a part of the deal though they should prove lighter than the stockers.

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Jens
I'm somewhat vain so looks first, weight second.
I'm was thinking BBS street wheels and not racing because they ARE stronger and would survive this areas huge pot...no wait, heroin holes much better, just as you've mentioned. I doubt it but were your BBS RX's chrome?

------------------
Old 01-22-2001, 11:28 PM
retired

Rob:mine were the plain silver ones.In my experience with alloys I have found that chrome over aluminium does not seem to last.I think with your car's color polished aluminium wheels or wheels with at least a polished lip would look good.Since little on the car is chrome excepting the headlite housings and the exhaust tips a big set of chrome rollers would llok somewhat out of place.My Nissan was pearl white and the silver wheels somehow never quite worked with that.In retrospect if I could do it again I would go with polished alloy or at least a polished lip on the rim.Jens
------------------

[This message has been edited by Jens Heydel (edited 01-22-2001).]