Sway bar INstallation

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway bar INstallation

Would anyone happent ohave pictures and instructions to the install of the comptech sway bars. I know the process is almost as easy as installing strut bars but the instructions given from comptech seem to be so shady and have nopictures.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Diamond Nicrome Limo Mirror Tint
Undetectable K40 w/t Diffuser
Kicker 12" Competition
Custom Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Old 03-29-2001, 11:30 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AirC:
Would anyone happent ohave pictures and instructions to the install of the comptech sway bars. I know the process is almost as easy as installing strut bars but the instructions given from comptech seem to be so shady and have nopictures.

</font>

So did your strut bar fit ok over the stock one? Or did you have to take the stock one out?
Old 03-29-2001, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

The HELM book has instructions for removal & installation of the stock bars.
I guess it would be the same….NO ?

I am debating if I want to tackle this myself (with a friend) or not.
I am talking with my dealer next week to discuss what labor there would be.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-29-2001, 11:56 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shaun- it isn't really that hard, but you should have a lift. We charge 1 hr labor.

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 03-30-2001, 12:03 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wayneg:
Shaun- it isn't really that hard, but you should have a lift. We charge 1 hr labor.

</font>
How many miles away from Allentown, Pa are you ?

Do you do installs on Saturday's ?

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-30-2001, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
How much labor have you guys paid for sway bar installation?

g

------------------
'01 Silver::TYPE-S
::Navi/Spoiler::
::Comptech Springs::
::18"ADR Enigma & 225/40
::35%tint all around
::type-s license frame
::Muds
::Acura Winter Mats
::Polarg M-6

Click here for pics of my CL!
Old 03-30-2001, 02:07 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know how to remove the 2 nuts that old the rear sways implace... not the ones that are connected to the brackets.. i have tugged andpulled so hard that i lifted upmyself.. they still wont come off...

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Old 03-30-2001, 02:09 AM
Kill the Chicken heads

A honda dealership will install them for 50 bucks!!!! Flat rate! damn thats a good price, plus its a Honda tech working on your car, not some shit mech.

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi and Spoiler
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of the CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot!
Old 03-30-2001, 02:20 AM
Back to Four Doors

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Type S Smokes All:
A honda dealership will install them for 50 bucks!!!! Flat rate! damn thats a good price, plus its a Honda tech working on your car, not some shit mech.
</font>
Gotta agree with you on that. If I decide to do the sways, and I was planning on doing it myself, and I can get the dealer to do it for $50, then it's "checkbook engineering" for me.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 03-30-2001, 03:27 AM
Instructor

Ok so i have tried tugging at the 2 screws for liek the longest time.. Can anyone please help me. I finally got one of htem to come loose but i started turning for like 5 mins and still nothing...the screw is turning but its not coming out.. it looks like the there is something turning with the screw that is place on the other side of hte sway bar...so i guess when im turning, everything else is turning so it basically does nothing...does anyone have experience in installing the sway bars for the CL? Im working on the rear right now. ANything will help please..

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Old 03-30-2001, 07:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok so i have tried tugging at the 2 screws for liek the longest time.. Can anyone please help me. I finally got one of htem to come loose but i started turning for like 5 mins and still nothing...the screw is turning but its not coming out.. it looks like the there is something turning with the screw that is place on the other side of hte sway bar...so i guess when im turning, everything else is turning so it basically does nothing...does anyone have experience in installing the sway bars for the CL? Im working on the rear right now. ANything will help please..

</font>
There is an allan head on the back side...
Kinda hard to see, but trust me that is why its spinning.
If you have trouble, call me I will walk you through the install

------------------
2000 Acura TL
AEM CAI
Mugen Sport Suspension
Comptech headers
Racing Hart C2's w/Dunlop SP9000 225/40/18
Comptech Sways
My Ride
Old 03-30-2001, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have the Helms service manual; it answers all the above questions. If your going to work on your cars I highly recommend purchasing this manaul (www.helms.com).
Old 03-30-2001, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the advice... Ill look into getting that Helms manual later on. Snook what exactly do i do with that allen wrench in teh back. Right now nothing is coming off beside the brackets.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Old 03-31-2001, 11:25 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok here is the deal to remove the sway bar:You will need a 14 mm box wrench and a 5 or 6 mm allen key alot of patience and a small pocket flat blade screwdriver some WD40 or similar helps as well.With the screwdriver clean out the allen socket on the sway bar link (the one that attaches to the bar)make certain it is completely clean.Lubricate the visible threads with WD40 wait a bit for the stuff to do it's work.Now place the 14 mm wrench over the nut on the sway bar then insert the allen key into the hex hole on the stud that you just put the wrench on.The idea here is to hold the stud so it does not turn with the allen key and use the wrench to remove the 14mm nut that attaches the sway bar link to the sway bar.Repeat on other side and reassemble the car.jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-31-2001, 09:31 PM
Back to Four Doors

Jens,

Thanks for that little instruction session. If I decide to do the sways, I will definitely do them myself.

------------------
Rex -
'01 CL Type S - Satin Silver, Navi, BBS RK
Lic: THX CBOE
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...770&p=36712116
Old 03-31-2001, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Thank you jens for the instructions. After all those extensive hours ifinally got it all done. The front ones were like impossible, there is liek no room to put any strength to remove the bolts... But i have this one problem now. I made sure each thing was tight and greased up but something is constantly like clicking when idrive... it feels like something on the bottom is hitting. Has anyoe experience this or have any idea what icould be? Possibly something is too tight or needs more lubricant? Its realy worrying me becaue it seems like something is just goign to break down. It just the random noise that jsut clicks. and i can even feel it in my pedal. Im sure its coming from the front right side of the car. Its not specifeid to when i turn or go over bumps. its jsut pure random. Can anyone give me any input. Thank you everyone for hte input.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve
Old 04-01-2001, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,172 Likes on 3,646 Posts
For the price of one hour's labor I would never do this myself. The aggravation and my wasted time is worth far more than the $50 to get it done right.

------------------
'01 Satin Silver CL-S, tint, Momo Cobra Carbon, Mobil1, V1, 19169's

NY Lic.- F1 FAN
Future mods: Comptech springs, sways & headers
17" wheels (Heidfelds, Racing Harts or Volks) with S-02's
aerokit?

1995 Mitsu GSX, no mods
NY Lic.-I LV F1
Old 04-01-2001, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Thank you jens for the instructions. After all those extensive hours ifinally got it all done. The front ones were like impossible, there is liek no room to put any strength to remove the bolts... But i have this one problem now. I made sure each thing was tight and greased up but something is constantly like clicking when idrive... it feels like something on the bottom is hitting. Has anyoe experience this or have any idea what icould be? Possibly something is too tight or needs more lubricant? Its realy worrying me becaue it seems like something is just goign to break down. It just the random noise that jsut clicks. and i can even feel it in my pedal. Im sure its coming from the front right side of the car. Its not specifeid to when i turn or go over bumps. its jsut pure random. Can anyone give me any input. Thank you everyone for hte input.

</font>

AirC,
Nothing should be creaking or making funny sounds right after you do the initial install if everything was greased up right. Where is the noise coming from exactly??

One thing with the sways that everyone has to take into consideration is after a while the lubricant on the polyurethane bushing (the ones on the back sways) will wear out (rub off, or whatever). So you'll just have to lubricate it again. It's just something that from my understanding comes with the polyurethan bushings. Grease em' up good and you won't have to do it again for awhile

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 04-02-2001, 12:48 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AirC,verify that all the sway bar end links are thoroughly tight.Also go ahead and check out those little plastic ties that center the sway bar.The thing to look for is to see if the ties have the locking mechanism pointing down,It is possible I think to install these so that they scrape against the subframe.Make certain the sway bars are located evenly in the car by this I mean that if you look at the barmounts there is an equal amount of the sway bar on each side.If this does not help have an assistant stand outside the car while you try to duplicate the noise and see if you can isolate the noise to at least one corner of the car.let me know how you make out.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 04-02-2001, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for all the help. I got undermy car last night and all idid was retighten the screws on the front sway thats on the very ends on the sways. I just used all the forcei could possibly give to tighten these. THe probelm is that i am quite sure i did tighten them when i first did it so im worried that iw ill have to go under my car every week to retightten the 2 bolts. I really dotn see how it can be any tighter at all. I still hear some small noise randomly but i think it might be something else, i will look into that later this week. But mymain concern for now is that my sways stay tightened.

------------------
01' CL 3.2 Premium.
Tan/Black
Neuspeed Strut Bar
Kicker 12" Competition
Cleared Headlights
Custom Int/Ext Lights
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI w/t Bypass Valve