Supercharger problems and questions (video included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Supercharger problems and questions (video included)

I bought a used supercharger recently and installed it this weekend. I took my time and did everything carefully (belt tension, soldered ESM, etc). Driving it, I feel a hesitation as the RPMs rise up. Usually around 3k or so and another hesitation before 5k. Like I have turbo lag or something.

I slapped on some gauges temporary (waiting for my gaugepods) and fuel pressure is slightly under 40lbs at idle and vacuum is around 20. If I rev the engine, my revs drop when it hits 6k like I'm hitting the rev limiter. Looks like something is cutting off fuel? Here is a video with the fuel pressure gauge and tach in sight and another video with the boost gauge.

A couple questions:
Any idea why this is happening?
Am I supposed to hear the sc whine reving it like that?
Should I see boost reving it in neutral (I see around 2.5-3 if I start accelerating in WOT).

The blower also sounds like a bunch of marbles at idle. I know there is some noise but I've never heard another SC'd CL so I don't know what is normal.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
congrats on the install and good job doing it yourself. I use to have a SC and mine sounded like a bunch of marbles at idle as well, sounds normal. your suppose to hear the whine whenever you rev it. as for the revs dropping off while your revving it in neutral, that's normal as well, the ecu won't let you rev it in neutral to high rpm's. some people say it won't let you rev it past 5000rpm, i don't know, never tried it, never had to, never wanted to. fuel pressure seems right, if you get a little detonation at the top of the gear, you might want to add a few pounds of pressure, say to 40-42 psi at idle, and that may help drown it out. don't know about the hesitation your experiencing and it's hard to diagnos with the info you gave.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the install! I installed mine myself also, Where did you tie your fp gauge into? can you post a pic? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Nothing out of the ordinary IMO.

I ddin't watch your video but here's a video of my car at idle with the hood open. Sounds like a can of dried peas tumbling around.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mrsteve...51009_0001.AVI
Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Instructor

The hesitation definitely comes up if I accelerate with partial throttle.

Here are two WOT acceleration videos: video1, video2

(Both files are under 900k each)

Here is my hackjob gauge mounting job. Wanted to monitor the sc but didn't want to blow a bunch of time.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does the SC kit really run that low of boost? i thought it was like 5 psi or somethin?
Old 05-30-2006, 12:02 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
does the SC kit really run that low of boost? i thought it was like 5 psi or somethin?
Maximum boost shold be 3.5 psi with the standard pulley.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

oh wow i know nothing get you a HBP
Old 05-30-2006, 01:33 AM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats on your SC and personal install

The only suggestion I can offer is to double check hoses, vacuum lines, and electrical connections. If you don't have any luck working through it, it may be worth a trip to Comptech and have them double check your install.

I did that with mine after I installed just for a piece of mind.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm having a hard time seeing the hesitation, not that it's not there, but can't see it/hear it. it sounds smooth to me overall. also looks like your getting a 1/2 lb boost drop at the upper rpm, check the belt again, they do slip. another thing i'd look at changing is your max fuel pressure. it looks like you are pushing well over 100psi. I think the potential is there to lock up an injector at that level, but depends on how far over 100 it's seeing. I honestly believe you could drop that to 80-90 psi safely. you have to change the disk and spring in the fpr. nice vids.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll go over everything again today and maybe I'll make an appointment with Comptech to double check everything. ThinJim, you mentioned that my fuel pressure at WOT is a bit too high... I've read that fuel pressure should slightly over 100 psi. I'll check with Comptech though.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cltypeSLOW
oh wow i know nothing get you a HBP
Mine came with the HBP too (bought it used) but I'll never put it on because we have 91 octane gas here.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Don't Mess With Texas

awww stupid cali gas!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:22 PM
B8 S4

Originally Posted by mytran
Mine came with the HBP too (bought it used) but I'll never put it on because we have 91 octane gas here.
I thought we could run the HBP here in cali, we just have to get the car tuned. Am I wrong? If I am, then that completely ruined my dreams/hopes of SCing my CL in the future.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Comptech guy told me that the hesitation between 3-4k is normal. I finally found this post on the TL board that talks about the hesitation and jerkiness. Its weird that its never been mentioned on the CL board or I just suck at searching.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:44 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
Congrats on your SC and personal install

The only suggestion I can offer is to double check hoses, vacuum lines, and electrical connections. If you don't have any luck working through it, it may be worth a trip to Comptech and have them double check your install.

I did that with mine after I installed just for a piece of mind.
with what he said ^^

Especially double check the ESM connections. The connections need to be soldered, not crimped. I had issues with my SC install and took my car into CT. Afterwards... no worries.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
with what he said ^^

Especially double check the ESM connections. The connections need to be soldered, not crimped. I had issues with my SC install and took my car into CT. Afterwards... no worries.
Got mine soldered in but I am going to double check the ESM voltage today. Synapse sells a check valve called missing link. Would have been cool if Comptech used that. Haven't seen anyone use it on this board but some av6 guys have used it successfully with emanage. I guess I am still in the paranoia stage... still got a couple more unanswered questions like "why do I hear a whispering noise when I let of the gas and cruise", etc. Oh well, the extra power has been very nice and all the work I put in has been well worth it. Bad thing is that I noticed that the bottom of the sc near the allen screws is a little slick so some oil is oozing out. I kinda suspected that the seal wasn't good when I got the sc since I saw some oil on the screws. I'm picking up some Loctite QuickStix 548 gasketing sealant today so I'll flush the oil and reseal everything this Friday. Maybe I'll take pics of the process and put them up for the archives.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
321 whp SAE

check your A/F ratio.. tells you a lot that's the gauge to invest in.. i had a fuel pressure problem with my charger at first.. AEM uego is my recommendation. my boost also has a similiar drop at the high end.. don't think it's belt slippage.. you would hear a terrible noise if your belt was slipping.. a nice screetch
Old 06-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Mytran could you take a picture of were you installed the sender unit for the fp gauge under the hood. And also were you installed the constant power for it. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 00suprchrgdAV6
Mytran could you take a picture of were you installed the sender unit for the fp gauge under the hood. And also were you installed the constant power for it. Thanks.
I second that! Please!!!!
Old 06-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00suprchrgdAV6

I used the two fittings mentioned in this thread: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167289
Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks! i will be hooking it up as soon as i get my car back.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Instructor

For power, I tapped it from fuse #9 on the driver side fuse box. This is for the instrument lights/memory seats and power comes on when the key is in the ON position. I was lazy and wrapped some wire on the right leg of the fuse and plugged it in. I'll trace through and find a better tap for it later. As for the lights, I grabbed it from the dimmer switch (the black & black/red wire). You can use other switches like the cruise control or sunroof switch but they're harder to get to.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Just an update... I tested my ESM voltage and it was at 2.97v. Not sure why it was that high... maybe the previous owner changed it. I backed it back down to the standard 2.93v and it runs great. No more hesitation and the thing pulls like a mofo. In 1st gear, my tires are slipping/screeching over the last 1.5k of the rev band. I thought my check engine like would come up with the ESM set that high. Oh well, it works now .
Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
Blown is Best

Glad to hear that you got the problem corrected. When other told you that the hesitation was normal, I was quite surprised.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Glad to hear that you got the problem corrected. When other told you that the hesitation was normal, I was quite surprised.
Yeah, and the same Comptech guy told me that their headers use the same compression gaskets (they're not the same) as the stock manifold. Even made sure that he knew I was talking about the o-ring metal one.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

For power, I tapped it from fuse #9 on the driver side fuse box. This is for the instrument lights/memory seats and power comes on when the key is in the ON position. I was lazy and wrapped some wire on the right leg of the fuse and plugged it in. I'll trace through and find a better tap for it later. As for the lights, I grabbed it from the dimmer switch (the black & black/red wire). You can use other switches like the cruise control or sunroof switch but they're harder to get to.
If I may make a suggestion...although it may work or appear to be working fine, the autometer boost gauge is tempormental to volt changes while cranking your car. It needs to have an uninterupted source of power while the car is cranking. Under the drivers side dash is a very fat yellow wire with a black stripe, comes out of the distribution/fuse block. this feeds juice to the ignition switch. I spliced into this wire (peel away a portion of the insulation, do not cut wire) for the autometer boost gauge. On a side note, i always turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds so the boost gauge calibrates itself. I think you'll have more consistant results with this setup.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThinJim
If I may make a suggestion...although it may work or appear to be working fine, the autometer boost gauge is tempormental to volt changes while cranking your car. It needs to have an uninterupted source of power while the car is cranking. Under the drivers side dash is a very fat yellow wire with a black stripe, comes out of the distribution/fuse block. this feeds juice to the ignition switch. I spliced into this wire (peel away a portion of the insulation, do not cut wire) for the autometer boost gauge. On a side note, i always turn the key to the on position and wait a few seconds so the boost gauge calibrates itself. I think you'll have more consistant results with this setup.
Seems to work ok right now but I'll tap into that later since what I have now is more of a hack job. Besides that, I think I have all the kinks out of the system... time for a dyno!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

I used the two fittings mentioned in this thread: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167289
I have mine hooked up at the beggining of that line right infront of the fpr. Do you think I should be seeing different idle pressure than you? Its only a foot further down the line.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
boosted is best

:ditto: and I would like to reiteration what Allout said about hesitation... there should be absolutely NO hesitation... glad it's been resolved...
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Drinking Beer In

As for the lights, I grabbed it from the dimmer switch (the black & black/red wire). You can use other switches like the cruise control or sunroof switch but they're harder to get to.
Mytran -

Did you mean to say the red and the red/black wires (for dimmable lighting of the guages)? The reason I ask is that I just spent last Sunday laying across the door sill hooking up guages, and that's where I went.... I picked it off the VSA switch, because it was handy and had a light in it. Werked Gud
Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hemhaw
Mytran -

Did you mean to say the red and the red/black wires (for dimmable lighting of the guages)? The reason I ask is that I just spent last Sunday laying across the door sill hooking up guages, and that's where I went.... I picked it off the VSA switch, because it was handy and had a light in it. Werked Gud
Oops, thats what I meant :-).
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

Nice job on everything! Glad to see you did it yourself. I bet you'd have more fun if you can get the HBP on and get it tuned. That, or just keep getting some octane booster.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

how loud is everones "marble sound"??
mine sounds absolutely terrible and im not sure if the SC is bad or its normal... and i cant really tell off of steve's video as it is just.. a video
Old 07-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Drinking Beer In

Mine's not horrible at idle... Sounds like a bad AC compressor bearing. Yours is turning faster than mine at idle, though.

But it sure sounds sweet when I get on it!

My gas mileage has gone to hell. I suspect this has less to do with the SC and more to do with me nailing it everytime I get a chance.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 PM
boosted is best

The marble sound is normal.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Blown is Best

Originally Posted by NSX-Tuner
The marble sound is normal.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

what happens if the fuel pressure isnt adjusted correctly in accordance with the high boost pulley?
will i be losing power as well?

also, is the whine noticable throughout all rpms?

thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 09:34 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
I hear the noises that U r talkin about but was told several times that it's ok.

Only problem I'm havin' is my belt has jumped from time to time.....
Old 07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by big mike 13
how loud is everones "marble sound"??
mine sounds absolutely terrible and im not sure if the SC is bad or its normal... and i cant really tell off of steve's video as it is just.. a video
Mine is noticable but not horrible.

Quick Reply: Supercharger problems and questions (video included)