Supercharger for Auto CL-S...who wants one???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger for Auto CL-S...who wants one???

Those pics of the supercharger on the 6 speed almost made me wet my pants...but gettin one for an auto CL-s???

i'd be to scared to fk up the tranny and not get it fixed...

i would start a pole if i knew how...anyway....LET'S SAY you had just enough money for the comptech supercharger and install on your Auto CL-S, would you do it???...but if your tranny goes you know your beat...
Old 09-07-2002, 11:02 PM
:)

so you're assuming no warranty, and no extra money to fix your tranny if it dies?
Old 09-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Nah, not me, I'm just about done modding my car... unless the OBX headers are what they claim (as good as Comptech), otherwise I'd save the dough and start saving for a nice downpayment on a house......
Old 09-08-2002, 12:45 AM
A-CL Fanatic

I'm with you on the house thing, I want more power out of my car, but dude I can't wait to get out of this apartment and into my own house.
Old 09-08-2002, 07:03 AM
Pro

i'm with the others, a nice crib would be sweet. that way i could finaly have a garage of my own to work in. if u asked me this same question before the wife and kid it woulda been hands down for the SC
Old 09-08-2002, 06:46 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will do the SC on my auto as long as it doesn't affect my warranty. The dealer will have to give me assurances on that. Again, a very small minority have had problems with their auto trannys, why would i worry ? I wouldn't have done the headers or any other mod if they affected the warranty either.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Pro

I too am finished with modifying my CL-S. Have to start building the house soon .

Anyway, planning to get the 350Z, so modifications will have to end for now
Old 09-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Racer

i will be putting the SC in my cl-s i jus got it so the fun is just starting with me...ill deal living wit my rents for another couple years no biggie...as long as warrenty remains. the charger will be added!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Not a Registered User

Originally posted by Red Rider
I will do the SC on my auto as long as it doesn't affect my warranty. The dealer will have to give me assurances on that. Again, a very small minority have had problems with their auto trannys, why would i worry ? I wouldn't have done the headers or any other mod if they affected the warranty either.
comparing the effect of YOUR mods (headers, intake, etc...) on the engine is a whole different scenario from comparing how a supercharger will affect it....but what if your whole theory of our transmissions is wrong in the first place? you believe there are only a small percentage of defective trannies out there, a percentage so small that the odds are your not one of the unlucky owners...but what if ALL auto CL-S' had WEAK trannies, and the only ones that broke were the people that were "spirited" drivers...(after all, most people that buy this car "baby" it, not beat it...that would explain the small percentage of tranny failures)...if you believed this would you even consider blowing around $4k for a supercharger, and still risk losing your tranny and warranty....
I could be completely wrong....it all depends on wheather your gonna go to the track or showroom once you get the supercharer installed...but most people here would hit the track, and seeing as how your rockin TE37's w/ Toyo's you probably would too...
Old 09-08-2002, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by paper1122
I'm with you on the house thing, I want more power out of my car, but dude I can't wait to get out of this apartment and into my own house.

AGREED!
Old 09-09-2002, 12:03 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SicK TypeS
comparing the effect of YOUR mods (headers, intake, etc...) on the engine is a whole different scenario from comparing how a supercharger will affect it....but what if your whole theory of our transmissions is wrong in the first place? you believe there are only a small percentage of defective trannies out there, a percentage so small that the odds are your not one of the unlucky owners...but what if ALL auto CL-S' had WEAK trannies, and the only ones that broke were the people that were "spirited" drivers...(after all, most people that buy this car "baby" it, not beat it...that would explain the small percentage of tranny failures)...if you believed this would you even consider blowing around $4k for a supercharger, and still risk losing your tranny and warranty....
I could be completely wrong....it all depends on wheather your gonna go to the track or showroom once you get the supercharer installed...but most people here would hit the track, and seeing as how your rockin TE37's w/ Toyo's you probably would too...
First, i feel for anyone who's had a blown tranny, and i know there have been a few. But i'm not gonna worry about something that has yet to happen to me or probably 99% of all 5AT owners since 2000. The people who have had the problem are very vocal, but even more vocal are the people who HAVEN'T had a problem, and that always amazes me. People are killed in car crashes everyday but we still drive. Some Bimmers blow up, but that wouldn't stop you from buying one if you could.
By the way, anyone who knows me will tell you i'm a "spirited" driver. We push these cars hard on our twisty runs in Sacto. and the Bay area and we've never had a problem that i'm aware of. Again, if my dealer advises me against it or won't guarantee me that my warranty won't be affected, then i won't do the SC. If i do, i definitely want to go to Thunderhill with Typesdragoon and check out the lap times Of course, then i'll need those Brembos and......
Old 09-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Not a Registered User

tranny issues are stressing me out...i only know one other person (friend) who has a CL, and he's on his 3rd tranny at 16k miles...!!!...
Old 09-09-2002, 02:14 AM
Official Member

Check it out.. instead of getting rims (2K), CAI (2B), Header (1G), exhaust (5B), springs (2B) and other mods, you can just by the super charger and blow everything away!!!!

Too bad it'll probably blow the tranny and void the warrenty.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:22 AM
Instructor

I don't pay rent any more and the mortgage isn't too bad and single so the SC, like the other mods, adds to the fun of the car. If the market didn't suck, man I'd be saving more. But I'm tired of losing 40% or getting crap 2% on a brokerage account. So I want to have fun with the money. Hence the other mods and maybe the SC.
My tranny has been great. But adding all those HPs with no stick seems almost sacrilege (sp?). So much power and plus big cash outlay and the torque converters have all the fun. Okay, you can put it in SS, but you still miss the 1-2 shift (unless you gate shift). What a shame!
I dunno. I'd like the SC. I'll wait to see some other CL-Sers and see if it is worth it considering everything I've said.
To those who WILL get the SC for the Auto, no questions asked, I respect your decisiveness. I hope you'll relay your experience to those of us who are "pondering" the SC upgrade.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:07 AM
Race Director

im done after
HKS Drager (on order)
03 Tails
6K lights
OBX headers
Old 09-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by BlackACK-CLS
Check it out.. instead of getting rims (2K), CAI (2B), Header (1G), exhaust (5B), springs (2B) and other mods, you can just by the super charger and blow everything away!!!!

Too bad it'll probably blow the tranny and void the warrenty.
Well actually you'd have to get the CAI, Headers and Exhaust to get the advertised gain from the S/C as the Comptech numbers are figuring that you have all of the above. Well, the S/C comes with the Icebox, so you'd be covered for the CAI, but you would need the headers too to get the advertised gains otherwise you'll probably be putting out 20 or so less HP then someone with headers. That's a big difference when the S/C is only putting out about 50-60whp.

Personally, after I get the Headers and the bodykit... I'm done for a while. That is, unless the RES comes out, which I don't think it will.........
Old 09-09-2002, 11:04 AM
:)

does anyone know exactly which part of our tranny is being messed up when the tranny says bye bye ?