SunRoof Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SunRoof Squeaking

Everytime I drove over a hard bump or something, my sun roof sqeaks, before it would only happen right after it rained or something, and then I would just get it lubed but now I live like 15 miles from the dealer and can't get it lubed that often. does any one else have this problem?

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.
235/40/17's or 225/45/17's once I found out which one works for me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 03-18-2001, 08:04 PM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
Everytime I drove over a hard bump or something, my sun roof sqeaks, before it would only happen right after it rained or something, and then I would just get it lubed but now I live like 15 miles from the dealer and can't get it lubed that often. does any one else have this problem?

</font>

I had mine lubed and it only lasted for like 3 days.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
Comptech Springs
Apexi V-AFC
AEM CAI
Old 03-18-2001, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WebToker:

I had mine lubed and it only lasted for like 3 days.

</font>
yup, i can even make it sqeak when i push the sun roof up w/ my hand when its closed. drives me absoulutly NUTS!!!

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.

Old 03-18-2001, 08:29 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I have posted this before, but it was at the bottom of a thread. Here is how to do a LONG LASTING fix. Get some "silicon" based grease, open the moonroof and with your finger work it into the rubber seal. Make sure that you pop-up the rear and use it here too. The silicon grease that I used came with a replacement belt for a Maytag Dishwasher. I did this about 4/5 months ago and have not had a reoccurrence of the noise.

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 03-18-2001, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan:
I have posted this before, but it was at the bottom of a thread. Here is how to do a LONG LASTING fix. Get some "silicon" based grease, open the moonroof and with your finger work it into the rubber seal. Make sure that you pop-up the rear and use it here too. The silicon grease that I used came with a replacement belt for a Maytag Dishwasher. I did this about 4/5 months ago and have not had a reoccurrence of the noise.

</font>

I really don't want to buy a dishwasher to get some silicon grease . Do you know any other type of silicon grease that will do? Thankx for you responce. May be I'll be able to drive w/ the music down now.

------------------
CL-S

Old 03-18-2001, 09:08 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
I assume that silicon based grease is readily available. If not, the replacement belt with the grease packet was only about $10.00.

------------------
You can never have too much horsepower!
Old 03-18-2001, 10:18 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok one more time for the dreaded sunroof noise:go back to the dealer there is a service bulletin that covers this.What is involved is the application of Teflon tape to the sunroof opening,this should alleviate the noise for good.This is covered under warranty.Do not use any sort of grease as this was only an interim fix till the Teflon tape bulletin.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-18-2001, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Ok one more time for the dreaded sunroof noise:go back to the dealer there is a service bulletin that covers this.What is involved is the application of Teflon tape to the sunroof opening,this should alleviate the noise for good.This is covered under warranty.Do not use any sort of grease as this was only an interim fix till the Teflon tape bulletin.Jens

</font>

I think the service bulliten was for the sun roof rattling not sqeaking. but i'll go bitch at the dealer at my 15k service

------------------
CL-S

Old 03-19-2001, 04:11 AM
Instructor

same happened to me.....
had A thought that my acura dealer gave me one of those "FUQd Up" vehicles the first 3750 miles(estimated)......
throttled my car full blast (with the service mgr on board) to prove the darn rattles were there @ my 7500 mile maintenance......
went home a happy son of a _____...
Old 03-19-2001, 02:00 PM
Racer

Nova... when are you hearing this squeaking? I noticed the other day that my moonroof is making lots of noticible noise when the glass is closed but the cover is open. If i close the cover I don't really hear it. But if I have the cover open and the moonroof closed its kinda loud. I would say its somewhere between a squeak and a rattle.

Old 03-19-2001, 02:14 PM
Honkey

Thank god I'm not the only one with this problem! It has been driving me nuts for the past month. At first I thought it was coming from the dash...then I thought the passenger seat was squeeking. Finally I realized it was the sunroof. If I close the shade it's not too noticable, but with it open it's so irritating. I'll take it to the dealer soon. In my opinion this is one of the key benifits of this forum...to comfort people who are all equally as anal. Thanks.

Aaron

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 03-19-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that by now, you guys would have learned to trust what Jens says- he wouldn't be working for me if he wasn't one of the best. THE repair for the squeaking, rattling, itching, rubbing ect sunroof is to apply the silicone tape around the opening of the sunroof. This stops the noise- period. If your dealer says anything different- you need to find another place to service your car! Get it done- spring is on the way!

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 03-19-2001, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah guys, mine is deffitnly a sqeak not a rattle. and i don't hear it when the cover is closed too only when the sun roof is closed and the cover is open. I can repeat the noise just by pushing up on the sun roof while its closed. Im gonna go to pohanka and ask them to apply silicon tape.

------------------
CL-S

Old 03-19-2001, 05:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can someone post some photos of the tape fix? Maybe this is something one can do themselves without going to the dealer. Or is it not?

Mine is squeeking too when closed by the way and I was thinking of starting a thread here until this one started.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 03-19-2001, 05:14 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gavriil:
Can someone post some photos of the tape fix? Maybe this is something one can do themselves without going to the dealer. Or is it not?

Mine is squeeking too when closed by the way and I was thinking of starting a thread here until this one started.

</font>
Drive to NJ and go to Park Avenue Acura. They'll take care of your problem. Too far? Send Jens Heydel an airline ticket and he will personally fly there to fix your car. J/K I can extoll the virtues of this particular dealership. Go to your local dealer and mention that you have a problem and there is a service bulletin on it from Acura.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 03-19-2001, 06:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
haha CHECK THIS OUT
when i closed the Cover it rattles, when i open it it squeaks. i had brought my car back dealer for 4 times to fix. and it was never fixed. and not only my Sunroof rattles, i feel like everywhere in my car has some kind of rattles going on while i m driving.
Old 03-19-2001, 06:45 PM
Honkey

I just realized Jens is a guy

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:04 PM
Advanced

okay, i guess i have to jump in as well. i hear rattling as well when my roof is closed but cover is open. and yes, the sound seem to go away when i close the cover. the noise bugs me and i hate having to close the cover just so i don't hear the annoying sound. i will be bringing this up when i get my car detailed and tailpipe fixed.

------------------
---revangel---
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Navi
Old 03-20-2001, 12:58 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup you guessed right I'm a guy!And yes by all means go to your dealer and have them install the teflon tape.This will alleviate sqeeking creaking rattling sunroofs when the sunshade is open and the moonroof is fully closed.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-20-2001, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

I had that damn booming from the sunroof fixed 2 times, and when I traded it in it was STILL doing it. The first time they fixed it, it quit doing it at 25 mph and started doing it at 65 mph! So then they fixed that and it was doing it at 25 again. If I had one problem with the CL-S that was really disappointing, that was it. So minor, yet so annoying!!

------------------
01' Yellow Type R
replaced an '01 CL-S