Sumitomo HTR+.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:16 PM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sumitomo HTR+.......

For those of you with Sumitomo HTR+ tires.... can I get your opinion? I am looking for something cheap to wrap my stock wheels in for a few months this winter. Im definately gonna put 225/45/17s on. Thanks guys.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

... I put about 300 miles on mine in the summer when I sold my rims...

They scream...... no complaints... I think I paid 64-72 a pice through the tirerack when they had them on sale a couple months ago..
Old 10-13-2003, 02:49 PM
"BON-AHHH-KIN-BALLS"

when you say "scream" you dont mean they are loud do you? I drive all highway and my pirelli p7000s are loud as hell.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

for the price these are great. Better traction than the POS stock, and quieter too.

Don't know how they do in snow (or rain as a matter of fact --- So Cal guy here... ).
Old 10-13-2003, 03:58 PM
pumpkin escobar

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i got the sumi htr+'s too...much better than stock.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Back to Four Doors

Originally posted by RandyMax
for the price these are great. Better traction than the POS stock, and quieter too.

Don't know how they do in snow (or rain as a matter of fact --- So Cal guy here... ).
Got mine about 5,000 miles ago ... you can't beat the price. Rainy season doesn't start here in NorCal for a few more weeks but I think they'll be fine. Ain't worried about snow ...
Old 10-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have had them on for about 6k miles now and they are excellent in both the dry and rain....really really solid in the rain. and when they do let go in the rain if pushed too hard (like any tire will...) they are very predictable which is good. keep them at 36psi all around for good compromise between performance and ride/safety
Old 10-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I've yet to use mine in the snow as well (I got them in March of this year). I recall Chikai gave a nice snow review of these tires last winter. Overall, I've heard only decent things about the winter capabilities of this tire.

As I've said before, ignore the fact that these tires are cheap to purchase. These are quality performance all-season tires. Someone pointed out that the HTR+ tread/design is the same as the Dunlop SP5000 (another good tire) in a non-directional tread. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that Sumitomo, Dunlop, and Goodyear are associated companies and own parts of each other.

I've had these tires on for about 7K miles now and used them in rain and dry. As said, they are predictable and rarely break away. They are not the stickiest tire, but they are not summer-only tires either. I like them.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't suggest buying them. At 6k miles when I rotated them the tread was more than 50% worn on the front tires. The wet performance is nothing too spectacular.

They are better than stock... (only slightly)

IMO spend the extra $50-60 a tire and get better tires. I won't be purchasing another set of the HTR+

Tire pressure is at 35psi, and I do not drive hard on them... Just a soft rubber compound.

In the snow they perform OK. Once again better than stock... (slightly)

All in all I give it a better rating than stock only slightly. I'd be suprised to get 20k miles from them...

When purchasing tires keep in mind the tread wear rating is not standard between all brands. The sumi's are not mile rated...
Old 10-13-2003, 06:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I dunno what others have experienced on here... But I'm not the only one... Must be a good tire for a light car, everything heavy seems to wear them out quick...

here's some of the same thoughts some tirerack...

$74 a piece right now!

Lots of reviews on tirerack, BUT most of them are in the past 3-4 months... So I dunno...

Good luck purchasing!
Vehicle: 2001 Acura 3.2CL-S
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive
Miles driven on tires: 25,000 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 5.78 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-10-02

I replaced my oem michs with the sumi htr+. they were a decent tire for the first 7500 miles, however after that they started feathering and cupping. the flat spots after sitting in the garage overnight were not acceptable. these tires are probably a good buy for a lighter car,but for a heavy car like the cl type s i would steer to something else
Vehicle: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Miles driven on tires: 10,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.62 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-10-02

The worst tire ive ever had. These tires give no traction on dry or wet pavement. For having such a hard compound they did not get good tread life. I would not reccomend this tire to anyone who has any amount of traction concerns.
Vehicle: 1999 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 Sport Package
Driving Style: Average
Miles driven on tires: 9,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.00 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-09-29

My wife mainly drives this car under 45 mph to work. The tires can not be rotated but the rear tires have only lasted 8000 miles. They are completely bald in the middle with almost all tread on outer edges. They were inflated to 33psi as per Mercedes recommendation. Even if this is a little high they should not have the inconsistent wear pattern after only 8000 of average driving. The front (which are a different size) seem to be wearing fine but they are only at 30 psi. I wont buy these again but they may be fine if you really measure your wear and adjust your psi accordingly from the manufacturer recommendations. Not impressed but you get what you pay for I guess.
I left a great review early on but after 20,000 miles I have to lower my numbers. Now keep in mind these tires have 20K on them so please consider that they have done alot of their job pretty well up until about 8,000 miles ago. Tires were always well inflated, rotated and what have you, however they have worn terribly considering everything. These tires have become the most noisy and wandering thing on the highway next to the guy who has had only "a couple of beers!" Though just getting down to the wear bar "these tires are driving me" and not the other way around. Now I literally feel every bump and crevace in the road. This has been the case since about 12,000 miles were on these tires. I will more than likely try a different tire. I am looking at the wallet emptying "michelin pilot sport A/S" and the "continental conti sport" to name a couple. Sometimes you get exactly what you pay for "cheap". Tire served its purpose for a short stint and decent if you do not care about lack of decent tread wear being an issue.

Vehicle: 2001 Volvo V70 T5
Miles driven on tires: 12,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 3.12 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-09-18

Tire performed adequately in all catagories except for the one I bought it for - treadwear. Absolutely, positively the worst wearing tire I have ever owned. 12,000 miles and all tires are down to the wear bars! Had rotated once at 6000 miles. Very disapointed! And an all season with a UTQG tread rating of 360 to boot! Unless you have money to burn, I highly discourage anyone from buying. How this tire has managed to receive so many positive reviews is beyond me. To put it in laymans terms, this tire SUCKS big time!
Vehicle: 2000 BMW 323i Sport Wagon
Miles driven on tires: 25,000 Driving Condition: Mostly Highway
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 8.22 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-08-16

Tires were nice and quiet when new. Now, after 25k miles the noise is miserable. Tires waering fast. Other than that they are great in wet, dry, and supprisingly, very good in snow.
Vehicle: 1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Miles driven on tires: 5,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 5.75 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-08-10

These tires are garbage in a mannor of speeking. I bought a pair of these for the rear of my car in late april it is now aug and the tires are basically racing slicks, all the tread is gone (given i do drive pretty crazy somtimes) but this is rediculous. Ive never had tire wear out like that, that quickly, EVER before. I will never buy these tires again and dont recomend looking into buying these.
ehicle: 2001 Nissan Maxima SE
Miles driven on tires: 14,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 7.89 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-07-09

For the first few thousand miles I thought I had found the deal of the century. GREAT TIRES in every respect, except tread wear. After 14K Im nearly at the wear bars. I love the performance of these tire but I cant justify buying new tires every year.
Vehicle: 2001 Volvo V70 T5
Miles driven on tires: 10,000 Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Ratings: 6.50 out of 10
Review Submitted 2003-06-18

Happy with the tires with the exception of wear which is the most important factor in determining if I would buy again. Only 10,000 miles and Ill be lucky if I get another 5,000 out of them. Totally unacceptable for an all season tire with a treadwear rating of 360.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I could find as many good reviews from TireRack. They still rate quite well in their class with a lot of miles driven/rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

It looks like the PZeroNero M+S now comes in a fitment for our car. Maybe my next tire when that time comes...

FWIW, it seems to me that most people that have posted problems with the tire here on A-CL.com used the 225/45-17 size (which also has a lower load rating of 90). I know people have posted manufacturing issues with tires out of round and the increased wear.

I have them in 235/45-17 which maintains the odometer/speedometer and fulfills the load rating (with 93). Granted these are not hugh differences, but I don't think I've seen people post issues with the 235/45-17 size. FWIW, after 7K miles the tires look almost new with essentially full treads. The road noise has increased a bit, but it's not much of an issue. I'm running the tires at 35psi. I rotated at 5K miles as my car is lowered on Comptech springs.

I have no ties to Sumitomo and no real reason to defend them, except for the fact that (at least so far) they have performed as I would expect a all-season performance tire to perform. Will I replace them with the same model? I doubt it. With so many tires choices, I'll probably try something else next time just for the fun of it.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am not real happy with mine. I have the 235/45/17 mounted on my stock tires for winter and they have been wearing very fast for the amount of use they get. Also I noticed they are very sloppy in the turns, you can really feel the sidewall flex, but once they settle in they hold about the same or maybe slightly better tahn the Michelins.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
Where is my super sauce?

There goes my 'size matters' theory... Maybe I'm just lucky, or these tires will disintegrate over the next few months. We'll see...

Originally posted by flint
...I have the 235/45/17 mounted on my stock tires for winter...
Sorry, I laughed at your typo...I've also discovered problems when I mount two tires on the same wheel.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:22 AM
Instructor

15,000 miles, going strong, great tire regardless of price. 215/50/17...
Old 10-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Slimey
I could find as many good reviews from TireRack. They still rate quite well in their class with a lot of miles driven/rating. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

Ya, I agree, BUT...

however almost all of the good reviews are too new to be worth anything... Lets hope the tires do good in the 1st 4 months

Wait another 5-6 months and see if anyone updates their reports. It looks like they sold a ton of them in the past few months... and thats were all of the good reviews are from.

Everyone I know that has had them on long term is saying the same things I am...

It must have something to do with the weight of the vehicle...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Smack My B*tch Up

Originally posted by SiGGy
I don't suggest buying them. At 6k miles when I rotated them the tread was more than 50% worn on the front tires. The wet performance is nothing too spectacular.

They are better than stock... (only slightly)

IMO spend the extra $50-60 a tire and get better tires. I won't be purchasing another set of the HTR+

Tire pressure is at 35psi, and I do not drive hard on them... Just a soft rubber compound.

In the snow they perform OK. Once again better than stock... (slightly)

All in all I give it a better rating than stock only slightly. I'd be suprised to get 20k miles from them...

When purchasing tires keep in mind the tread wear rating is not standard between all brands. The sumi's are not mile rated...

I have them too and I agree i with the above
Old 10-14-2003, 10:10 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

debating with the Sumo's but went with the Contiextreme contacts!! so far so good!! Cheap and good for only a few months out of the year!!
Old 10-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro

235x45x17 on stocks. 11k commuter miles. I should be able to get 25k. Soft sidewalls. Does snow here much.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

lol

Originally posted by SiGGy
Ya
Wait another 5-6 months and see if anyone updates their reports.
I don not think Jon with Balls on his chin has that long to wait, he needs tires now.. but I must interject, i only run these tires in the winter and not all year round.. This will be my first winter with them but my buggy does not get taken out in the snow... They are just cheap meats for me incase I want to take the car out in the winter months... for the price I don't understand all the bitchin? 9 out of 10 of those guys rate there driving habits as aggressive but then turn around and say they don't beat on them...go figure..
Old 10-14-2003, 05:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: lol

Originally posted by Smitty
I don not think Jon with Balls on his chin has that long to wait, he needs tires now.. but I must interject, i only run these tires in the winter and not all year round.. This will be my first winter with them but my buggy does not get taken out in the snow... They are just cheap meats for me incase I want to take the car out in the winter months... for the price I don't understand all the bitchin? 9 out of 10 of those guys rate there driving habits as aggressive but then turn around and say they don't beat on them...go figure..
LMAO

true true...

I paid $104 a tire. I wish I would have spend the extra $60 a tire now... Since I'm going to have to buy new tires come springtime...
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Originally posted by Slimey
I'm running the tires at 35psi. I rotated at 5K miles as my car is lowered on Comptech springs.
Carefull there. I called Sumitomo to ask where the boundaries of the "low" pressure is (we already know the "high" since it's marked on the side of the tire). They told me, specifically with the 235/45-17 (didnt ask about other sizes), an underinflated tire is anything below 36 PSI. Generally a tire is considered underinflated if it falls below the 70% value of the max PSI when cold.

Comparing the with the stock Michelins, max is 41 and 70% of that is 28.5. So that means anything below 28 PSI for the stock tires is considered underinflated. The recommended setting of 32 is 80% of max...so with the sumitomo's, I set it at 41 PSI which is also 80% since max pressure is 51.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:57 PM
Racer

to those sumi stock size, what tire pressure u guys put?
me front 35psi, back 32psi
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by edgalang
Carefull there. I called Sumitomo to ask where the boundaries of the "low" pressure is (we already know the "high" since it's marked on the side of the tire). They told me, specifically with the 235/45-17 (didnt ask about other sizes), an underinflated tire is anything below 36 PSI. Generally a tire is considered underinflated if it falls below the 70% value of the max PSI when cold.

Comparing the with the stock Michelins, max is 41 and 70% of that is 28.5. So that means anything below 28 PSI for the stock tires is considered underinflated. The recommended setting of 32 is 80% of max...so with the sumitomo's, I set it at 41 PSI which is also 80% since max pressure is 51.
Interesting...

Seems logical.

I wish EricL was around to comment about this.

I've actually been running at 36 psi for the last couple weeks and like it a little better. Maybe I'll go up a bit more.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Sweet as Gold

Whats the treadware rating....the stock michelins are 300...which is good...the higher the number the more mileage is expected from it. Drag radials are 80...my cooper lifeliner touring sle's are 360...slightly harder compound than stock and will last longer. You can find the number on the side of the tire. Someone go outside and please post the treadware rating...that will solve all the riddles of hard driver/bad tire
Old 11-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

I am getting 4 put on Saturday (Stock size). I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Ant7701
Whats the treadware rating....the stock michelins are 300...which is good...the higher the number the more mileage is expected from it. Drag radials are 80...my cooper lifeliner touring sle's are 360...slightly harder compound than stock and will last longer. You can find the number on the side of the tire. Someone go outside and please post the treadware rating...that will solve all the riddles of hard driver/bad tire
For the HTR+ the UTQG is 360 AA A.

Although the treadware rating has some relative significance (i.e.: a tire with 400 should last longer then a tire with 120), my understanding is that the rating cannot be equally compared between brands and is not necessarily tied to any guarantee of total mileage expected.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:54 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

I love my HTR+'s I have them on my Probe GT and I have no complaints. I am also the certified site tester for the new and unrated Nankang NS II all season tires. I have them on my CL and for the last 6 weeks, they have been pretty good.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by CLASSYCLS
debating with the Sumo's but went with the Contiextreme contacts!! so far so good!! Cheap and good for only a few months out of the year!!
Buying tires and considering the Sumitomo HTR+ or Contiextreamcontac. You like the Conti okay? Any one have recommendations?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
conti's offer a rougher ride than stock, with slightly better dry handling, significantly better wet handling, more wind noise, nice tread pattern, and good treadlife.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:04 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

if you are looking for something cheap and good in the winter these are them. Slimey is correct...I wrote a good write up about these for winter fun a while ago...too lazy to dig it up.

Obviously they are not going to perform like the "winter" only tires (ie: blizzak, etc). I survived one winter with them and I loved them.

Remember that huge snow storm we had on the East Coast back in February...i think president's day weekend or something like that. Anyway, I drove from NYC to Pittsburgh (380 some miles) in compact ice and snow at about 40mph-50mph. And I mean STRAIGHT Compact ICE and SNOW! I felt pretty safe and got home ok.

I've used them all spring, summer, now fall too. They are getting a little more squeaker when pushed to the limit, but they are still pretty damn good. Tread wear at 12,000 miles is about 70%. Not too shabby eh?

My only complaint is that the middle rib seems to be wearing much faster than the outer edges. Tire Pressure is about 35psi which is a little below normal...so I don't know why they are doing that...

def get 215/50/17 I've heard horror stories with other sizes.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by chikai
...def get 215/50/17 I've heard horror stories with other sizes.
The 'horror stories' have occurred with both the 215 series and the 235 series tires.

Funny, I thought is was the 215 series that was having more issues, but on another HTR+ thread we hashed it out and it seems like some people had problems with either size.

People seem pretty polarized about this tire -- some of us think it works as expected or even exceeds expectations, and others down right hate it. It seems the horror stories (tires out of round or balance & wear issues) are without pattern, or at least I cannot figure the pattern out.