strange AC behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange AC behavior

When I was driving home from work today I had my AC setup the same way as always. Manually set to blow out of dash and floor, a/c on, fan on speed 2, temp set to 70 degrees.

All of the sudden I noticed the air blowing out of the floor vents was warm! The air out of the dash vents was cold enough to make my hands cold. To make sure my feet weren't playing tricks on me I stuck my hand down by the floor vent and sure enough the air was warm. I would guess at least 10 degrees or more warmer than the cabin temp, and much warmer feeling then the air coming from the dash.

I played around with the controls a bit and found that if I turned the a/c button off the dash air stayed about the same temp but got more humid, and the floor air seemed to get cooler.

Also if i left the a/c on and turned the temperature setting down to like 60, both the panel and floor would feel cold.

Why in the world would the air from the floor be coming out warmer? Are the two spots controlled by seperate systems?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-12-2002, 10:24 AM
900 club member

Why don't you just use "auto" and let the car get to the comfortable temperature? I am not trying to be a wise ass, but I don't understand why you would not want the car to do it's job and get the whole thing to your comfortable temp as fast and efficient as it can. I think the "auto" mode in any car is great, it knows what it has to do (recirc/fresh, ac/heat, which vents) to get it to your desired temp asap. I know on a fall day, mine will automatically blow warmer air to the feet and cool air out of the vents becasue of the hot sunlight coming through the windows, but the temperature will be my "set" auto temp in the car.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Racer

I agree. I would use auto all the time, except for one problem. On our cars when you use Auto mode it won't let you select the air source. I am a big "smell snob" and I hardly ever bring in air from the outside. I use the recirc button like 99.5% of the time. I can't stand smelling truck fumes and city smells that get sucked into my car.

If I could use Auto and recirc then I would, but at least on my car as soon as I touch the recirc button it turns off the Auto mode.