Stock WRX STi Against Three Tuned WRX Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock WRX STi Against Three Tuned WRX Cars

How does the stock STi stand compared to three very well modified WRX cars. Find out at Acura-CL Automotive News:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=142
Old 10-28-2003, 07:20 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Interesting points to note here.

I just get all worked up everytime I hear someone say "no way you could have beat that FASTER car", "it has way more HP

Well, there's a lot more to winning races and being quicker than just more HP yadda yadda . . .

This note within gavriil's post is just one key point.

* * * Here's where things got interesting. The Rally Performance WRX ran the 1320 in 13.6 seconds at 101 mph and the all-powerful SPI WRX ran it in 13.8 seconds at 102 mph. Those of you who already inspected the dyno chart are screaming in disbelief. How is it possible that the SPI car could be beaten by the least powerful car in the test? The answer is twofold. First, all you dyno disciples need to look carefully at the SPI car's torque curve. See that huge lag until 4000 rpm? That matters * * *

There are of course a multitude of things that also make a difference. So the next time someone says they beat a "technically" faster car, whether by pure trade rag numbers or fact, they probably did win. There'd be no reason to mess around racing someone if one could just show someone the latest issue of Rash&Trash, and had over the money to the loser.

OBTW, I managed to beat a Mustang GT last night . . :P

Ruf
Old 10-28-2003, 08:53 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
do the same mods to the bigger and stronger motor in the sti then lets see who wins
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt you would even need a bigger turbo to run 12's in the STi. The STi also has the controllable center diff which is a great feature.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by RUF87
Interesting points to note here.

I just get all worked up everytime I hear someone say "no way you could have beat that FASTER car", "it has way more HP

Well, there's a lot more to winning races and being quicker than just more HP yadda yadda . . .

This note within gavriil's post is just one key point.

* * * Here's where things got interesting. The Rally Performance WRX ran the 1320 in 13.6 seconds at 101 mph and the all-powerful SPI WRX ran it in 13.8 seconds at 102 mph. Those of you who already inspected the dyno chart are screaming in disbelief. How is it possible that the SPI car could be beaten by the least powerful car in the test? The answer is twofold. First, all you dyno disciples need to look carefully at the SPI car's torque curve. See that huge lag until 4000 rpm? That matters * * *

Exactly.

HP ratings are AT THE CRANK as we all know. How much power is put on the ground is what matters.

WHich many times makes me wonder why dont manufacturers state that number instead. Or both crank and wheel HP.

Talking about that, I have been reading several articles now confirming that the way HP is reported in the USA will be changing in the near future. A 3rd party, witness will have to be present during the engine tests and it will become law that engines should not fall more than 3% of the claimed peak HP rating.

All of the above by the way are happening in Europe currently and I believe Japan as well.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil

Talking about that, I have been reading several articles now confirming that the way HP is reported in the USA will be changing in the near future. A 3rd party, witness will have to be present during the engine tests and it will become law that engines should not fall more than 3% of the claimed peak HP rating.

All of the above by the way are happening in Europe currently and I believe Japan as well.
That would be cool. No more games on putting out a tweaked test car and then end up being disapointed with the production ones.

Ruf
Old 10-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Pro

WHich many times makes me wonder why dont manufacturers state that number instead

unless everyone plays by this rule, it's going to hurt the company's who advertise at the wheels. Most people don't know the difference.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Stay or leave

Its pretty obvious why in America they provide HP at the crank, cause its a larger number! And the larger the number, the more people seem to like it, the more it sells, and the more money they make.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Reddly9007
Its pretty obvious why in America they provide HP at the crank, cause its a larger number! And the larger the number, the more people seem to like it, the more it sells, and the more money they make.

HP at the crank is what everyone around the world claim. It's the way the tests are done and the tolerances that are in question in the USA.