stock IS300 beats 98 LS1 camaro??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 12:59 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: respect the IS's authoritaaaayy :)

yup ... go fast with class, with a 4 door supra and sleeper was another key to why the car looks almost stock (the GN was/is awesome, i plan to swap that drivetrain into another G body)

as for the fwd vs rwd, its a big issue for me, i guess i am in the 5% ? i have a fast fwd also, and traction sucks. yes it does better in the snow, but not when i would like it to at traffic lights. its my beater, and what gets most of the commuting done for me, and it has approximately 275whp.
i guess i just drive "enthusiastically" all of the time? - but rwd always seems advantageous to me

i'm not sure you can say that 95% of the time people don't take it to the advantageous point, i'd say taht every time a street race or the like occurs, they use that, or when they corner hard under power, or accelerating hard at lower speeds. my fwd has had wheel spin at speeds approaching 65mph, which is just too damn much spinning for me. what can i say, wrong wheel drive just doesn't mesh with my driving style

-gte

Originally posted by scalbert
I liken the GTE, Toyota 3.0L I6 turbo, motor of the 90's to being the equivalent to the 3.8L GM V6 turbo of the 80's in the GN/TTA. Both are stout and can take much more than intended!!!

Nice choice on transplants and I understand how the costs ran over, they normally do when you are at the fore front. Turning The IS into a I6 turbo is beautiful and does wonders for the image. It also makes it a very stealthy vehicle. I do hope the GN motto of go fast with class is up held in this modern passenger vehicle rendition.

About the FWD aspect, it is less of an issue for a daily driver than touted. On the highway it is of no issue. Up to 70% - 80% limit on enthusiastic driving it is not an issue. After that is does have a hindrance. However, many of us have two or more cars and utilize the other RWD vehicle for the 5% we need it.

For the time a moderate RWD vehicle is in the shop being made to go fast there are many FWD vehicle taking people to work and doing it at a decent rate.

Point being and IMO, the FWD versus RWD debate is overrated. 95% of the people who drive a RWD will never take their car to a point to where RWD becomes an advantage. If we talk about track racing then there are other issues that come into play but are relevant to another thread.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: respect the IS's authoritaaaayy :)

Originally posted by IS300GTE
yup ... go fast with class, with a 4 door supra and sleeper was another key to why the car looks almost stock

as for the fwd vs rwd, its a big issue for me, i guess i am in the 5% ?

i'm not sure you can say that 95% of the time people don't take it to the advantageous point, i'd say taht every time a street race or the like occurs, they use that, or when they corner hard under power, or accelerating hard at lower speeds.
That is great to hear about the going-fast-with-class, as I am sure you are aware, many have no concept of this.

Since driving both my CL-S6 and my wife's E46 328i I can tell the difference between FWD and RWD. But as stated, most will have now clue how to utilize the advantage.

Street racers only look at the straight line runs but that only constitutes 0.001% of the populations. Many people have hopped it in a quick run but most don't know a true race.

If you are from the NOVA/DC you know there are many stretches to 'stretch you legs' and prove on the road who is tops on straight line run. A street race has many parts being about who will give up first and provides only a part about how the car can do. This is proven in my area as you can’t go more than a half mile without a turn.

Heck, I know guys in the metro Atlanta area that could run mid 11's in street tires. But they never confuse themselves with running on a road course.