stock 6speed clutch vs comptech clutch package

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 05:48 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock 6speed clutch vs comptech clutch package

ill tell you guys as soon as comptech releases the clutch package im in right away.i really dont like the way the stock clutch feels.it doesnt have the smooth transition like it should.its too damm heavy i mean the flywheel weighs 24 pounds or around there.the comptech flywheel is half the weight.what does this mean?ok here it is the flywheel is heavy so it takes a long time to really get the car reving vs the comptech flywheels where the revs just jump right up.now i talked to jens about it and he said take a hammer by the wooden end and wave it side to side and you feel the heavyness of it.now grab the hammer itself and swing it side to side much less effort.thats the difference in a away rotating mass works the heavier it is the longer it takes to spin.jens really knows his stuff!!!!!!!!!!! well im not so technical but i know ill own a comtech package when it comes out.they said the car is so smooth it shifts beautifuly.well what does everyone think?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I find the clutch fine. But I also don't have much experience with clutches in cars. All the stick shifts I have owned have been trucks, & SUV's. This is my first clutch car. This car is a breeze to drive compared to what I've come from. In fact when I first test drove it, I though my foot was going through the firewall, cause I slammed the clutch so hard. Took a while to get used to this light clutch. I still stall, & miss gears once in a while. But I had the car 3 weeks. I'll only replace the clutch with something else when/if it goes.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:01 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the clutch just fine. I find it very smooth, but with a quick engagement. Great for the lux-sport hybrid it is.

If you want to mod up your car for the track or racing, then an aftermarket light clutch may be of benefit. The Comptech clutch is single mass too. For daily driving, I'm a little concerned that the lack of clutch weight (ie: substance), and lack of dual-mass will contribute to a rougher ride.

Although I'll probably do the usual bolt-ons and suspension upgrades, I have no intentions in changing my clutch until it goes in 8 - 10 years. I'm sure the market will have more options at that time anyway.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Team Owner

I’ve owned 8 clutch cars over the years and have driven many more. My CL-S is by far the finest setup.

Except for a bit of cold weather roughness in the shifter, there are no complaints here.

Shawn S
Old 02-28-2003, 09:31 AM
EGH
Intermediate

No complaints here either, my 6 sp shifts smooth as butter.

Clutch action is very light. Only trick is learning to shift to to 5'th quickly at high speed since 4'th is so low and 5'th is a little over to the right.

I think you'd have more problems with a lighter flywheel setup -the lower mass coupled to all that torque will make your shifts very grabby and don't get stuck in traffic with that thing...
Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you are putting over 400whp and track the car a lot (with slicks), I find the clutch unnecessary. In time... when the stock clutch wears out... it might be a replacement alternative.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:28 PM
im back

my stock clutch is still grabbing strong, i still get triple chirps out of 3rd gear, but i'll probably replace it with the comptech kit because its lighter and it'll rev faster it'll probably shave a tenth or 2 off my ET. and like all motor said its not really necessary, but i do track my car a lot and i use drag radials not quite slicks(those are next)
Old 02-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Isn't this tranny the same 6 speed in the NSX? Is the NSX clutch the same? The flywheel might be different, but the clutch may be the same.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Slimey

Although I'll probably do the usual bolt-ons and suspension upgrades, I have no intentions in changing my clutch until it goes in 8 - 10 years. I'm sure the market will have more options at that time anyway.
Very good point. I would like to see what comes out first. And I really want to see how Comptech's lack of mass attributes to rough riding.