Something to think of on SuperChargers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something to think of on SuperChargers

I do not know the validity of this statement, but it did come from a reliable source. My mechanic, who is also a friend of mine, works at a local speed shop. I mentioned a SC to him and he said he didn't think it was a good idea. They recently installed a SC on this kids Civic, well after they dynoed it it only gained 8hp.... The kid spent $2-3000 on a Jackson Racing SC a well known brand, and only gained 8hp. The reason my mechanic stated in simple terms...was that as temps rise the SC makes less power. Now if we would have thrown a bag of ice on the manifold we might could have gotten another 10hp out of it, but for 2-3000 18hp is not worth it. Just a thought for those of you considering a Comptech SC. I hope it works better thann this kid's did!
Old 02-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8 or 18 HP? there is still something wrong. JR claims 50 HP , and 40 lbft of torque on th Civic Si.

Is there a kind of Air-water intercooler?

Check Vortech....
Old 02-04-2002, 10:45 AM
Mr. PC

That is definitely an issue but I have only heard of heat problems when running at high PSI. I don't know about the JR but most SC provide 6-8 PSI which should get way more than 8 hp and shouldn't have heating issues. Sounds like there may have been a problem with the SC unit or maybe a really hot engine and no airflow on the dyno. Anyone else?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:51 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

It would way cool if Vortech makes a SC with an aftercooler for the CLS... with the 6-speed CLS Vortech does not have to worry about the tranny.

An Extra 40% boost in the engine output would be good start.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Banned

I'd stay away form any shop that fuggs up a blower install so badly they only netted 8hp.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Drifting

I agree. There is an install issue somewhere in there. I've seen dynos with Intega/Civics before and after the SC, and let me tell you something was not installed right.
Originally posted by Pull_T
I'd stay away form any shop that fuggs up a blower install so badly they only netted 8hp.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

8hp?

It must have been the Tornado Fuel Saver or an Electric Supercharger.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:33 AM
I've seen this before...

The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

There is no way you could see only 8 HP gains with a supercharger...something was done wrong. No company is stupid enough to manufacture a modification that boosts performance that little with a heavy price tag such as $2000-3000. No consumer/enthusiast would be stupid enough to buy it.

One
Old 02-04-2002, 12:33 PM
Banned

Exactly....bad install...not to mention Jackson Racing has been around a lot longer than that mechanic has been doing mechanical work....as a tuner specifically for Hondas..hes been around for like 15 years. He doesnt fuck around.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:36 PM
Instructor

somthin wrong with that kit. I have seen the kit dynoed and they all made a crap load more HP than that kit. Yes the Heat does make the charge less dense, but the simple fact that you are forcing more air in increases the charge to the point where you make more power, why do you think turbo's work? if Blowers didnt make HP why would you see them in almost every form of racing?
Old 02-04-2002, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

Originally posted by Mugen_Power
There is no way you could see only 8 HP gains with a supercharger...something was done wrong. No company is stupid enough to manufacture a modification that boosts performance that little with a heavy price tag such as $2000-3000. No consumer/enthusiast would be stupid enough to buy it.

One
Not quite true, cause Comptech is close! 1749.95 for an 18 hp gain on an NSX!
or like 10k for a SC for the NSX and you get a whoping 107 hp increase.
or u can buy the entire comptech package (probably close to 15k) and get an Astonishing 367 HP at the wheels!
WOO HOO

Sorry to poke fun at the NSX, but i find it to be an overpriced, underpowerd, over raited vehicle!
and comptechs parts make it 10 times worse
Old 02-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Racer

Again, I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it was something low like 8-15 whp. I am not sure of the other mods on the car the boost rate, etc. It could have been an install prob, but I doubt it, they do a lot of cars down here. If I was the kid I would send the thing back.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:34 PM
Powered By HONDA

no.i do not believe supercharger only gains 8hp..it will at least gives up about 40HP~50HP.....on one will spend $3k to just buy 8HP,right ...jr is famous superchager maker..
Old 02-04-2002, 04:40 PM
Racer

You show your stupidity... Exactly the point why would one spend 3 grand on such low hp. I'm pretty sure the kid didn't know that he was paying that much for so little of a gain.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Racer

Just saying I'll wait for the dyno results before I buy a Comptech SC.....
Old 02-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ultimac
Just saying I'll wait for the dyno results before I buy a Comptech SC.....
Why not simply state that to begin with instead of using a fourth hand story and analogy with a different car?
Old 02-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Who's Your Daddy

maybe the SC stood for SuperCivic instead of Supercharger....8 hp seems like an installation problem or faulty equipment:sqnteek:
Old 02-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by CL-Super
maybe the SC stood for SuperCivic instead of Supercharger....8 hp seems like an installation problem or faulty equipment:sqnteek:
im thinkin more along the lines of a FUCKED UP CIVIC to begin with!
seriously, i ave a lot of friend with the Jacson SC and it makes good HP especially for the money!
for thos eof you who doubt a supercharger, i hate to say it you need to study a lil more on volumetric efficency!!!!
Old 02-05-2002, 08:33 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

Originally posted by 94SupraTT

Not quite true, cause Comptech is close! 1749.95 for an 18 hp gain on an NSX!
or like 10k for a SC for the NSX and you get a whoping 107 hp increase.
or u can buy the entire comptech package (probably close to 15k) and get an Astonishing 367 HP at the wheels!
WOO HOO

Sorry to poke fun at the NSX, but i find it to be an overpriced, underpowerd, over raited vehicle!
and comptechs parts make it 10 times worse

RIGHT! NSX will out handle, out peform and out class 99% of the cars on the road and adding a SC to the engine will only make it that much better. Give me and NSX and i'll show you how crappy the car really is on tracks that matter.....tracks with turns.....
Old 02-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Old timer

Come on now. An isolated incident with some kid who didn't get a properly installed SC (let alone a different brand SC in a completely different car) is no reason to go assuming ALL SCs are crap.

Some of you are much too impressionable.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

Re: Re: Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

Originally posted by Zapata

RIGHT! NSX will out handle, out peform and out class 99% of the cars on the road and adding a SC to the engine will only make it that much better. Give me and NSX and i'll show you how crappy the car really is on tracks that matter.....tracks with turns.....
I agree with 94SupraTT, The NSX is overpriced for the performance that is given. You can take your NSX, Ill take a Viper and walk all over you, in every way, for around the same $$$.

NSX will pull around .78g's in the twists?
Viper hits .98
NSX runs 13's?
Viper runs low 12's
Dont remember the top speed for NSX, but Vipers will do a limited 168.

The Acura dealership told me a 2002 NSX-S will go out the door for 110k, Vipers cost around 85k.
You do the math!
Old 02-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

Originally posted by mat347

I agree with 94SupraTT, The NSX is overpriced for the performance that is given. You can take your NSX, Ill take a Viper and walk all over you, in every way, for around the same $$$.

Viper hits .98
NSX runs 13's?
Viper runs low 12's
Dont remember the top speed for NSX, but Vipers will do a limited 168.

The Acura dealership told me a 2002 NSX-S will go out the door for 110k, Vipers cost around 85k.
You do the math!
I will. I wouldn't pay for a 85k. For 110k i know that I am getting formula 1 engine, aerodynamics and suspension technology. For 85k all i'm getting is large displacement domestice engine.

Although i could see why one could make the argument for the current NSX, when the v8 comes out the NSX will be the car to beat.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:05 PM
6 speed...

Re: Re: Re: Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

Originally posted by mat347

where the hell did you get this nonsense stat from?

think about it: even the cl pulls better than .78 g's on the skidpad...

in defense of the nsx, some folks prefer the way mid-engine cars handle...

as far as price-to-performance... frankly, I'm surprised acura has sold as many nsx's as they have (which ain't many) over the last five years.

personally, I'd take the viper unless the car had to be my daily driver.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

ACURA, NSX-T, 13.5, 290HP, V-6, .89g.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Instructor

ACURA, NSX-T, 13.5, 290HP, V-6, .89g.
94 Supra TT, 320 HP 13.5@110 in the 1/4, .96G on the Skid pad a 155 limited top speed that you can hit stock, and in a straight line or on the track a stock supra will eat a stock NSX any day, ESPECIALLY for the price.

now u want exotic go waist your money on an NSX, or a VIPER, give me 1500 bucks and ill eat them both alive!

sorry dude, u acura guys that think the NSX is the greatest sports car ever need to do a lil more research. its a good looking car that handles well, not GREAT, the supra is better but it isnt great, u want great get a bike, or a labo, or ferrari. and formula 1 technology is available in the civic for chist sake, nothin special there.

the V-8 NSX will be better but not great. i still think the supra is a better bang for the buck! especially used. Considering mine was making well over 500 RWHP and im rebuilding it for even more! (shotting for 650 RWHP on pump gas) find me one NSX that can do that! (ps 650 RWHP on a stock block and very minor head work, aftermarket turbo kit, and fuel nothin else)
Old 02-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by 94SupraTT

94 Supra TT, 320 HP 13.5@110 in the 1/4, .96G on the Skid pad a 155 limited top speed that you can hit stock, and in a straight line or on the track a stock supra will eat a stock NSX any day, ESPECIALLY for the price.

now u want exotic go waist your money on an NSX, or a VIPER, give me 1500 bucks and ill eat them both alive!

sorry dude, u acura guys that think the NSX is the greatest sports car ever need to do a lil more research. its a good looking car that handles well, not GREAT, the supra is better but it isnt great, u want great get a bike, or a labo, or ferrari. and formula 1 technology is available in the civic for chist sake, nothin special there.

the V-8 NSX will be better but not great. i still think the supra is a better bang for the buck! especially used. Considering mine was making well over 500 RWHP and im rebuilding it for even more! (shotting for 650 RWHP on pump gas) find me one NSX that can do that! (ps 650 RWHP on a stock block and very minor head work, aftermarket turbo kit, and fuel nothin else)
Give me a car that i can go to a dealership and i can buy perfectly new. Seems you have your opinion and i have mine. Let's end the conversation here.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:09 PM
Banned

By design the NSX is a superior track car than the supra unmodded...and a stock supra will not win in any race against a stock NSX. Now a modded supra is a different story and I agree that with a few mods here and there...they will eat stock NSXs alive in the 1/4 and probably on the track as well. Outfit the NSX and it will turn circles around the supra on a road course. This is of course the same debate that always occurs. But when it comes down to it...when you buy an exotic...you buy it for its exclusitivity, looks, and performance right out of the box.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by moomaster_99
By design the NSX is a superior track car than the supra unmodded...and a stock supra will not win in any race against a stock NSX. Now a modded supra is a different story and I agree that with a few mods here and there...they will eat stock NSXs alive in the 1/4 and probably on the track as well. Outfit the NSX and it will turn circles around the supra on a road course. This is of course the same debate that always occurs. But when it comes down to it...when you buy an exotic...you buy it for its exclusitivity, looks, and performance right out of the box.
I drove both cars, and i was NOT impressed by the NSX in the least, and the NSX has only one advantage on a track and that is in rigidity over the normal sport top supra, but a hardtop handles much better.

I dissagree, when i was stock in my supra i raced a bunch on NSX and never lost one time (straight line i will admit) handling i dont know the skidpad and slalom both edge the supra in those catagories. and i have raced S/Ced NSX against my BPU++ supra back in the day and i would RUN away from them. so i dont know, i have lost to one NSX in a drag race, he was on slicks, and a 150 direct port nitrous shot! (guy was a hell of a driver aswell! ) i dont mean to say the nsx is a pile of shit! dont get me wrong nice car, just for the price i was VERY VERY disapointed. And when were talkin about cars we like to mod who GIVES ashit about buyin it new at the dealership?

Anyway, Id take a 02/03 Z06 over both cars if i were forced to buy new and couldnt mod it!

yea its a push rod but its got 405 HP!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:12 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As an owner of a Jackson Racing supercharged car I can assure you something went wrong with that install more than likely they have a problem with the vacuum line for the blower.You see a JR blower is on only part time .When you are cruising the car the blower has a valve on it that bypasses the blower only during accell. does this valve close and boost is generated.The NSX is a great car but it is also at a disadvantage against a car like the Viper or Supra turbo.Remember the Viper has a ten cylinder with quite a bit more displacement and the Supra get's by with a very complex turbo.Despite the inherent advantage the competition has of a huge engine and or a turbo the NSX still gives a very respectable accounting of itself.Superchargers like the Vortech are much like turbos in that they have to run at very high speeds before boost is generated.The JR supercharger does not require such high speeds and makes boost at lower engine speeds where you are more likely to be driving at anyway.Granted te JR is limited as is any engine driven compressor or blower as to how much boost you can create but on the other hand many of the ultra high output turbo cars are very likely not street legal due to emissions.I looked at several systems before I modded my Miata and at that point in time only JR and Greddy offered a supercharger or turbo kit which was street legal but both of these systems are limited in boost to around five to six PSI.Currently I am looking at an engine swap on my Civic and once again there are only two street legal means I know of to boost performance legally.Greddy and JR none of the other companies provide kits that are legal.Jens
Old 02-06-2002, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by moomaster_99
Outfit the NSX and it will turn circles around the supra on a road course. This is of course the same debate that always occurs.
yeah but modding the nsx pushes the price further up, no? the way i see it a 85k viper has 25k in allowable mods to match the 110k price of the nsx.
it only makes sense equalize on price not how many mods you did..
Old 02-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nt5k

yeah but modding the nsx pushes the price further up, no? the way i see it a 85k viper has 25k in allowable mods to match the 110k price of the nsx.
it only makes sense equalize on price not how many mods you did..
No it doesnt....it's called a sunk cost.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The speedshop fucked up somewhere...

I will. I wouldn't pay for a 85k. For 110k i know that I am getting formula 1 engine, aerodynamics and suspension technology. For 85k all i'm getting is large displacement domestice engine.

Although i could see why one could make the argument for the current NSX, when the v8 comes out the NSX will be the car to beat.
Hmm... your two are in an interesting conversation...

Both are supercars... no question to it.

The NSX isn't a Formula 1 engine.. It may however be based off of one. If it was it would have a lot more output.

I like both cars, so my opinion is a bit neutral...

BUT... the Viper will spank the NSX hands down... Don't knock the V10, one thing Acura's seem to lack is torque!

"theres no replacement for displacement!!"

(DONT ANY OF YOU MENTION THE ROTARY ENGINES, I know they rock!) lol

Wonder why Acura is putting a V8 in....

I only hope its as much as the Vipers new 500 or 550hp whatever it is? and dont forget the torque measurements!
Old 02-06-2002, 10:41 PM
Racer

A new car to think of....

A new car to add to the arguement that is right between the prices of an NSX and Viper. The Shelby GT1. A lesser known car, they show a snip of it in that "Rollerball" movie preview(the silver car w/red stripes). I think some one lights it on fire or something.... they would be dead before the flames parched the leather. For those of you who don't know about this car it was developed by Carrol Shelby to compete with the Viper. I think 400hp RWD and the size of a miata.
Old 02-06-2002, 11:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: A new car to think of....

A new car to add to the arguement that is right between the prices of an NSX and Viper. The Shelby GT1. A lesser known car, they show a snip of it in that "Rollerball" movie preview(the silver car w/red stripes). I think some one lights it on fire or something.... they would be dead before the flames parched the leather. For those of you who don't know about this car it was developed by Carrol Shelby to compete with the Viper. I think 400hp RWD and the size of a miata.
cool! Ill have to go readup on that one...

Did you know Carol helped design the Viper?
Old 02-07-2002, 08:04 AM
6 speed...

Re: A new car to think of....

I've heard of the shelby series 1 (only $142,000 before options), which is a 320hp, aurora v8 powered, 6 speed manual, 2700 lb rwd car.

see it here

is this the car you're talking about? or is there actually a "shelby gt1" that he's working on (which doesn't seem to be mentioned on his website)?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:50 AM
Moderator Alumnus

GT1

Ya, I've seen that car before. I didn't realize it was called the GT1. For the $ the Viper still takes it though... (and performance)

GT1:
Standing quarter mile, sec/mph 12.8/109.9
Lateral acceleration, g 1.00
0-60 mph 4.4

Viper 2003:
1/4 mile: 11.8 sec @ 123 mph
Lateral Acceleration: 1.25g
0-60 mph: 3.8 sec

I think the Viper is the US's only real supercar! (allowed on streets, so im going to back it!!!)
Old 02-07-2002, 09:55 AM
6 speed...

Re: GT1

Originally posted by SiGGy
Ya, I've seen that car before. I didn't realize it was called the GT1. For the $ the Viper still takes it though... (and performance)

GT1:
Standing quarter mile, sec/mph 12.8/109.9
Lateral acceleration, g 1.00
0-60 mph 4.4
it isn't called the "gt1." as noted above (and on the website) it's called the "shelby series 1."

the stats you cite are those of the base model series 1.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Re: GT1

Originally posted by tankmonkey

it isn't called the "gt1." as noted above (and on the website) it's called the "shelby series 1."

the stats you cite are those of the base model series 1.
Ahh... that makes sense now. I couldn't find much searching on GT1. heh

What are the specs on the other models? I don't see them on the site. However I do see an option for a supercharger! But its $23,000 more!

Then I point you to these sites for the Viper

1st: Stryker Viper
http://www.supervipersystems.com/Upg...win_turbo.html

then still awesome but a bit slower... (hehe)

2nd: Venom Viper
http://www.motortrend.com/june01/ttviper/ttviper_f.html
Old 02-07-2002, 11:00 AM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

Re: Something to think of on SuperChargers

I do not know the validity of this statement, but it did come from a reliable source. My mechanic, who is also a friend of mine, works at a local speed shop. I mentioned a SC to him and he said he didn't think it was a good idea. They recently installed a SC on this kids Civic, well after they dynoed it it only gained 8hp.... The kid spent $2-3000 on a Jackson Racing SC a well known brand, and only gained 8hp. The reason my mechanic stated in simple terms...was that as temps rise the SC makes less power. Now if we would have thrown a bag of ice on the manifold we might could have gotten another 10hp out of it, but for 2-3000 18hp is not worth it. Just a thought for those of you considering a Comptech SC. I hope it works better thann this kid's did!
WOW! Thanks for the info... I better go cancel my CompTech SC pre-order then...

If I were you I wouldn't let your friend do any work on your car.
Old 02-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Racer

You're right it is a series 1. oops. Still it looks hard....kind of like a viper w/a little more style. I wasn't saying that JR SC were bad or anything like that. I was just relaying a story I heard. I'm not even sure how accurate it is . It is a 4th person account afterall, but I try to worn people of things if I here of a problem. How pissed would you be if the same happened to you?