So I got keyed...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 12:51 AM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy So I got keyed...

I probably shouldn't be posting this yet, but fuck it. So I was at my friends house friday night partying for my b-day and shit, while my car was parked across the street. Next day rolls around, and we all decide to get some grub over at King's Burger. So on our way, my girl pulls up beside me and gives me a weird look; soon to follow was a phone call. So I pick up and she's like: "Hey I don't mean to scare you or anything, but I think your car got keyed; however I can't tell if it was just the lighting." Fantastic!! So I tell her that I'll check it out as soon as we get to King's.

Lo and behold...my car was keyed. It starts at the front of my passenger door, and goes mainly all the way to the rear. Later I noticed that my hood was keyed on the passenger side as well.

I must admit, I was pretty damn pissed, however I decided to not get in over my head. Reason being, I realize that this kind of shit happens, and you can't get all bent out of shape over it. This kind of bullshit happens to many people, and it sucks. I guess it was just my turn. Anyways, I will post pictures of it tomorrow afternoon when the sun's up, since now isn't exactly the best time to take pictures of it. Most of it looks like it could probably be buffed out, however some of it looks pretty deep.

Do any of you have any idea how much it should cost to have it repainted? It would be the hood, passenger door and rear quarter panel. Thanks.

`John
Old 08-29-2005, 01:01 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Damn, even after all that money you threw at your car, you're still keeping a cool head about it. I give you props though. I know if I spent my paychecks on my car, I'd be furious if its condition isn't 100%.

Your car being white though...it should be cheap to repaint everything? I mean, my friend had his entire Integra painted white by Maaco and suprisingly they did an awesome job. $500 for it all.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Got a Job!

I dunno...it's actually SSM so I have no idea
Old 08-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Advanced

Going off insurance estimates that I write every day I would guess between 800-2k. All depends on where the key started on the door to see if you are blending into that fender alsoand if any repair is needed or just straight refinish times. I hate mayco or howveer you spell it. I sent an insured of mine there and well, never again. All I will say is don't be suprised if it is alot more than you would expect. if it is less then the estimate is probably not done right. If you are wanting to know an exact figure pm me and I can even write up an estimate and e-mail it or whatever you want for the damages just to have as a reference.

Jerome Schneider
Old 08-29-2005, 08:14 AM
National Champs GO GATORS

That sux man, I got keyed last summer. I lost it. Good luck finding a painter that will do the job right. It's tough finding someone that doesn't cut corners and cares about it as much as you do.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thats messed up man. Ive had my car keyed before and it definitely pissed me off. Ive had some work done at Keyes Collison Center off of Sepulveda. Extremely good work but pricey. Best auto shop ive ever seen as well.

On a side note, King's is the bomb. Was there on Sat Morning too!
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do people just randomly 'key' cars?? wtf??! I would be suspect about anyone and everyone that may have a beef with me for any reason! Sorry to hear about that bro- perhaps some car polish can smooth it out? (depending on how deep it is...)
Old 08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Suzuka Master

geesh John, sorry to hear that... did you go back and notice if any other cars on the block got keyed?

did you file a police report... you will need that for insurance purposes.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

If that happened to me, I'd lose it. Badly. I barely like my car to begin with - the last thing I would need is for it not to be immaculate.

Congrats on keeping cool and sorry to hear you have to go through it. Just do your research and take it to the best possible body shop within reasonable distance.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:46 PM
Got a Job!

thanks for the kind words guys...

So, I never got the chance to check the other cars on the street since I found out about it after I left the house the following day. As for the police report, I hadn't even thought of that. Is that recommended? Also, should I report this to insurance? Will they cover any of it? Or should I just take it to some shop and see if they can fix it on my own? I will take pics very shortly.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

do you have full coverage on your insurance?.. comprehensive/ Liability

if you do, you will have a deduct... but most insurance companies want a Police report (Incident report).... so if the culprut is ever caught the insurance company will press charges for damages.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

That's horrible man. I'm sorry to hear that. Same thing happended to my buddy, Lucas. He had just bought a brand new '04 SRT-4, had it 2 days, and the m-f'er was keyed.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smitty
do you have full coverage on your insurance?.. comprehensive/ Liability

if you do, you will have a deduct... but most insurance companies want a Police report (Incident report).... so if the culprut is ever caught the insurance company will press charges for damages.
I agree.

Check with your insurance company to see how much your deductible is. Here in Canada, deductibles are usually 300$, 500$ or 1000$.

Chances are that your deductible costs less than how much it would be to get a proper paint job done.

And in that case, you should go through your insurance. Since this is not your fault, your rates should not go up. Once again, I'm basing this on how insurance works here in Ontario, Canada... but chances are that US companies use similar policies.

The police report is a must. Not only will the insurance company ask for it, but it also gives the popo's a chance to catch the f*ckers that did it.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Drifting

my car got keyed on the same side panels and the trunklid. the cost for insurance to fix was about $2800.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Definately call you insurance company. Body shops will usually charge you about $500+ to paint a body panel. It sounds like you have at least 3 to paint. This can run you close to $2K.

Hope all works out for you.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 AM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Dude, sorry John to hear that... Hope you get it worked out.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

yeah you're looking about at least 500 - 2K. My car got keyed from the driver side door all the way to the front quarter panel. Welcome to playerhaterville, where the haters come to jack ur ride.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Pres TeamMidnightInvasion

Wheres the pics?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Pres TeamMidnightInvasion

Did you happen to piss anybody off before hand, or were you just a victim of bullshit?

You are so right though man, you cant dread over some shit you can't go back and change. But you have every right to be furious