SMITTY needs a quick hand...who can help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMITTY needs a quick hand...who can help?

I'm posting for Smitty. he is trying to get his calipers completely taken apart, i.e, seals and pistons out.

Smitty thinks the pistons are "pressed in", and they won't come out. I say this can't be.

Who, among us, have completely disassembeled their calipers? If you have, please post the procedure.

Smitty needs to do this so I can powder coat his calipers.

I am posting this, for him, because he is 30 miles away from his computer, but, I believe, heading for it to get your good advice.

Hope I don't get burned on this. I posted the same note an hour ago, but it never showed up. If so, sorry.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:31 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
I don't see how the pistons can be pressed in so far they are not removable, especially if there is not fluid inside. You can try an air compressor and shoot it with 100-200psi, I would just be afraid of damaging seals.

Just a Q: Why powdercoat (seems like too much trouble)? Not Foliatec paint or etc.?
Old 02-28-2004, 03:12 PM
Sweet as Gold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aww damn smitty. I wish I could help but I havent disassembeled calipers in years man and I would even remember where to start. Good luck and from what I remember they can be pressed in. I would call Rotora and ask them personally.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Drifting

Ant: When reassembling, yes, they can be "pressed in" using a c-clamp, just to get them bottomed out.

What smitty was refering to was "pressed in", as in inferring an interference fit. Brake pistons want to slide smoothly, just like engine pistons want to.

What Smitty was inferring to me was "pressed in", as our wheel studs ARE pressed into the brake rotor. That is, they are not expected to fall out of the rotor when the rotor is removed from the car. This, cannot be, as far as brake pistions are involved, no?!

Jens?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by NiteQwill
I don't see how the pistons can be pressed in so far they are not removable, especially if there is not fluid inside. You can try an air compressor and shoot it with 100-200psi, I would just be afraid of damaging seals.

Just a Q: Why powdercoat (seems like too much trouble)? Not Foliatec paint or etc.?

It was really wierd, they looked as if they were pressed... I took 150psi from the air compressor and they shot out... busted 2 seals, but no big deal, I think the smart thing to do is get all new seals and O-rings...

My answer 2 ur Q: I want them done right, not half assed.

Thanks for posting for me Dave... I got them soaking.