show me your rotora rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
show me your rotora rotors...

after turning the rotors and replacing the pads with semi cheap pads...i got alot of squeek...even when not braking...i then changed to ceramics and it is nite and day yet i do get alittle squeek after a while of driving and it seems to be from the driver side rear...im not sure which rear pad ...but im guessing driver side was worn at an angle these are the new one that i just put on 3 weeks ago ..when i took them off and went to ceramics thats when i saw it...no question..might my e brake be over tightened? causing the rear to wear? could the caliper be sticking? my gas milage has dropped lately by 30 miles...if the caliper was sticking this could be the cause? any way tips on what to look for and what to do are appreciated...i still feel vibration even though the rotors were just turned and so im thinking im going to rotoras...but i also wanna address any caliper porblems...last advice on painting calipers black...
Old 10-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
The e-brake is a whole separate system and does not use the pads. It actually uses a setup similar to Drum brakes on the inner part of the rotor. An overtightened e-brake can reduce mileage but will go away pretty quickly after the shoes wear down.

It soes sound like you have a sticking Caliper though if your pads are wearing unevenly. The Caliper can hang in two ways:\
1) Piston doesn't retract or hangs
2) The caliper floats on bolts in the caliper mount. Those floating connecting points are lubed with Silicone grease. If the caliper is not freely moving back and forth, you can wear an inner or outer pad quicker than normal.

As far as the squeaking, make sure you clean all parts and contact points. Re-lube with a good brake lube. Most are some type of graphite lube.

Note: When you compress the piston on the caliper, I will open the bleeder valve to push out debris or inpurities. If you just push in the caliper, you run the risk of pushing garbage back up into your ABS modulator. You want to get the debris and particles out of the system so the piston moves freely.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
i didnt bleed the brakes when compressing the piston...