View Poll Results: Should I drive to San Antonio and use my car?
Yes
84.62%
No
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Should I make the trip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Should I make the trip?

Ok, I'm in San Antonio right now until around the week of Thanksgiving, then I'll be in PA.

My dilemma is this. Do I fly back to San Antonio and get a rental car again (Grand Prix) or do I take a road trip with my car?

It's a little over 1700mi from PA to here, so I'm estimating a little over 2 days for driving. If I use my car for work, I'll be getting a little over $30/day for using it (about 75% of rental per day) and $0.345 / mi during the drive from PA to TX.

I'll probably be here until the the end of Jan or Feb, and maybe into March.

I've had the car for 20 months now, but only have 13k miles on it because of being away from it.

I still can't decide whether to use my car or not. What do you think?
Old 11-02-2001, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes this is what you got the car with a Nav for is it not?
That baby is just waitng to get on the road. That would be a nice treat for it the only draw back is the weather this time of year.
I would go for it if I were you.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:52 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No question about it. I would drive so I can have my own car. He're 5 good reasons:

1.The CL is a nice road car (esp if you have Navi) and you can make the trip easily and effortlessly.

2.San Antonio has some nice wide roads and not a whole lot of cops. Makes for some interesting drives all over the city.

3.San Antonio is not a big "car" town like LA or Miami, but your CL will definitely stand out (not many Acura's there). If your car is you, you'll want your own car when you go out.

4.If it's a plain Grand Prix, that will be no fun after about 2 weeks.

5.There is no inclement winter weather to speak of so that's not a factor, but it's nice to be in the comfort of your own car on chilly/rainy days. It's make your home away from home, more homelike.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Unless its a lease and you're concerned about miles, Just Do It..
Old 11-02-2001, 06:26 PM
O.G.

You should definitely take your car. Everybody should take their car out for at least one long road trip. Our Acuras were meant for great highway cruising. I took my TL down to Florida and back (total close to 3000 miles) and it was great. The ride was so relaxing and my wife practically slept the whole ride back because it was so comfortable.

So take your car and enjoy what America has to offer. Don't forget to take a few pics.
Old 11-02-2001, 07:46 PM
Retired. Not available.

Do it!!!
Old 11-02-2001, 07:49 PM
Banned

If there is another attack then fly. I'd avoid putting that many miles on the Acura. Get a rental and drive it like it was stolen... See if you can get e 300M. Than we can see once and for all if the CL-S is faster!
Old 11-02-2001, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

The car is GREAT on the long road trips, but being a fellow FULLER employee I would guess your working at a Cement or Power plant out there…no ???
Parking your car there with all the dust & dirt and having to drive home with filthy clothes on occasion would be my only other concern.

Shawn S
Old 11-02-2001, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scorpius
If there is another attack then fly. I'd avoid putting that many miles on the Acura. Get a rental and drive it like it was stolen... See if you can get e 300M. Than we can see once and for all if the CL-S is faster!
well, it was either a buick lesabre or the grand prix, and for the time now, i think I made the right choice.

i still haven't made my decision, but I leaning towards taking my car to San Antonio.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
The car is GREAT on the long road trips, but being a fellow FULLER employee I would guess your working at a Cement or Power plant out there…no ???
Parking your car there with all the dust & dirt and having to drive home with filthy clothes on occasion would be my only other concern.

Shawn S
Actually, that's what prompted me to this dilemma. I was initially planning on driving and using a rental for work, but my supervisor told me to fly and get a rental. i'm working on just a coal mill out here.

after being here for 2 weeks, the site isn't that dusty, and I put on my sneakers before I go home anyway. probably has something to do with the less humid weather...the dust doesn't stick. but it did surprise me...the plant in kansas that was running off and on was more dusty than the plant here that is ocntinously running, that is why I am undecided. the thing that is scaring me though is the driving time of 2 days.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S

Shawn S
I dont' work for FULLER anymore...i work for FL Smidth, Inc...or Company...orwahtever it's called now.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Banned

Let me tell you about my loaner Buick Century... This car was just crap. The center console was like ours. It had the lid with a spring loaded latch. The latch was not working. Some dipstick must have slammed it and busted it. Try driving the CL with the middle console open... my elbows kept kitting the damn thing. So I'm driving for an hour and this is getting annoyong. Everytime I move the wheel t little to the right my elbow hits the thing. I pull over at a Wal Mart and get some duct tape. I taped it down. This car was so abused I almost felt sorry for it. The sound system was crap too. Not lnoy was this loust GM quality to begin with, but it was abused. Even I took it in the grass to pass a horse abd buggy. I took it through a $3.00 car wash before I returned it....
Old 11-03-2001, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Not that this hasn't been true before, but recent world events illustrate how important it is enjoy every moment of every day. If you would be happier driving around San Antonio in the CL-S, just do it. Follow your heart - do what you love.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scorpius
Let me tell you about my loaner Buick Century... This car was just crap. The center console was like ours. It had the lid with a spring loaded latch. The latch was not working. Some dipstick must have slammed it and busted it. Try driving the CL with the middle console open... my elbows kept kitting the damn thing. So I'm driving for an hour and this is getting annoyong. Everytime I move the wheel t little to the right my elbow hits the thing. I pull over at a Wal Mart and get some duct tape. I taped it down. This car was so abused I almost felt sorry for it. The sound system was crap too. Not lnoy was this loust GM quality to begin with, but it was abused. Even I took it in the grass to pass a horse abd buggy. I took it through a $3.00 car wash before I returned it....
hehe. i got a pretty new grand prix (about 5000 mi on the odo when i got it).

the lesabre looked too old for me and i was pretty sure it would drive that way too.

the grand prix is a little floaty sometimes, but it drives alright. the steering is too loose though, so i'm constantly "driving" the car just to go straight. it feels fast too, just because the engine has a loud-ass roar when accelerating, even though it actually isn't taht fast.

the roar isn't as nice as the cl-s's though...it's a lot louder yet "unrefined", almost v8-truckish.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

another reason i am tempted to get my car down here is because i flew down here with 3 bags. 2 checked bags, one for some clothing and 1 for all my work gear. and my other bag was my carryon computer bag (i had 2 laptops, a personal one in my carryon and my work one in one of my checked bags).

i packed very light considering i will be here for 3-4 months or so, so i planned on buying new stuff when i am here (bought new work boots, new sneaks, new pants, shirts, etc.) and also a bunch of kitchen stuff (got one of those hand blenders...those things kick ass, and got a toaster oven).

so i'm pretty sure i won't be able to fly back with all this crap considering the baggage limit now. i could always get a one-way rental, but don't want to drive a pos 1700 miles.