Should i get a civic as track car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i get a civic as track car?

Well... i want a hardcore TRACK ONLY car... I have a 88 carolla sedan... would it be more worth it to drop money into transmision/engine swap on the carolla or to just get a Civic HB from junk yard and Build from there?

I was thinking the civic/CRX/Del SOl will sure be easier because of all the aftermarket support.... but it seems like every1 has one on the track.... on the otherhand the carolla is a car that i already have sitting waiting to rot....

need some opinions...... THX
Old 03-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Racer

Oh ya.... and also.. suggestions on a car good for the track?? Has to be either FF or FR
Old 03-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
you don't want to really use the del sol, its to heavy for what it is. But I use to have a civic ITR hybrid and that is what I recommend nothing like reving to 9k rpms. But another option is the turbo MR2. Yeah they are a pain to work on, but they are good track cars. And they still have aftermarket support.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:15 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
92 hatch back w/ a b20/vtec turbo
Old 03-21-2003, 11:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Circle track, road course track, or 1/4 mile?

1/4 mile...

:P to a CIVIC! Why?!?!?

Get a old mustang with a ford 9" rear end. And run 9's. Drag racing is for big displacement engines, not small FI engines. However they do move out OK too. Just they always blow up from high stress on the cute lil engine.

Circle Track, Road course:
For the $$ I'd pickup a Nissan 240
Old 03-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Busy Living

miata or Rx7
Old 03-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

Miata...tons of aftermarket...and they kick everyone's ass on the track for a car with 95whp.

BTW, did i also mention they run forever..... Cheaper than a HB too cuz the 'racer' crowd hasn't figured out that these things can be made fast as hell on stock internals.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
Re: Should i get a civic as track car?

Originally posted by Cseika
Well... i want a hardcore TRACK ONLY car... I have a 88 carolla sedan... would it be more worth it to drop money into transmision/engine swap on the carolla or to just get a Civic HB from junk yard and Build from there?

I was thinking the civic/CRX/Del SOl will sure be easier because of all the aftermarket support.... but it seems like every1 has one on the track.... on the otherhand the carolla is a car that i already have sitting waiting to rot....

need some opinions...... THX
That's something I've been considering for a while: a car almost all dedicated to the track.

Personally, I'm leaning towards an early 3G Integra GSR to build on, only 'cause I don't want to bother with an engine swap (and the ensuing reliability/quality issues that go with swaps).

But the performance aftermarket for the B16A and B18C1/5 motors is BIG!!

Peace.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

no shit, if you want a 1/4 mile car, stay the fuck away from imports, get yourself a classic muscle car...or hell, even a more recent z-28 or trans-am and mod the hell out of that....
Old 03-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Banned

you can pick up a old camaro with a decent frame, chassis, and body for like 1500 bucks.....drop a big block on it, ford 9" rear, tub out the rear wheel wells, put some huge slicks on it, etc...its not that expensive at all....parts for those cars are soooooo cheap and readily available....

a fucking souped up old school muscle car is much cooler and MUCH more intimidating than any import....for those of you that have been to the track, when you HEAR those monsters start up and go through the burnout box, etc....then when the whole fucking front end lifts off the ground when they launch.....im sorry, but that is waaaay more impressive and intimidaing than ANY ANY modified import EVER!!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:15 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get this: 0-100 MPH in 8.9s

Old 03-21-2003, 01:32 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Get this: 0-100 MPH in 8.9s

or get an elise for a lot cheaper and throw in prototype racings s2k swap
Old 03-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Revving at 9K...

Originally posted by jimcol711

a fucking souped up old school muscle car is much cooler and MUCH more intimidating than any import....for those of you that have been to the track, when you HEAR those monsters start up and go through the burnout box, etc....then when the whole fucking front end lifts off the ground when they launch.....im sorry, but that is waaaay more impressive and intimidaing than ANY ANY modified import EVER!!
Hum.. when I'm at the tracks, I find the Supras and Rx7's pretty intimidating and impressive too..

And they can run 9's and look good at the sametime.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:16 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,947 Likes on 2,633 Posts
Hey jim you buy that gun rack mod for the back window of your RAM yet?

Whats that good for at the track? low 12's in the 1/4?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Pro

If your lookin autox, you can't beat the Miata. The aftermarket is strong and cheap for the 1.6l 90-93's. They are cheap and a gredy turbo can be had for $1200 new. The 94-97 1.8's are pretty good but not really much faster straightline than the 1.6's. Aftermarket go fast is a little more. The newer body style, 99 on just looks like shit to me. I have a primo 93 with 112k miles on, koni yellows, different rims and tires. It is a total blast to drive ripping around corners etc. With top down and motor reving you feel faster than you are, and not much will hang with you in the twisties.

There are some serious fast 1.8's though. These motors were built as turbo motors by Mazda, they have oil cooling jets for pistons and heavier rods and pistons to take it. Lot of guys running double digit boost and full engine management for 10's of thousands of miles with no problems.

Check http://www.miata.net/index.html
Old 03-21-2003, 05:01 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

so now imports suck according to you? i guess s4s w/fmics aren't intimidating, or turbo rsx's and integras that blow by stock vettes are pretty lame. Also, turbo nsx's are whack and heck u said "any import", so ferraris, amg benzes, m bimmers, and lamborghini's are just silly and pointless
Old 03-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

What's next: trying to outrun a Hayabusa with a Harley!!

And in JUST the same way, there's nothing like hearing a turbo (wastegate) spoolup followed by a powerful BOV PFFFFFTTTT! And if its coming from a modded Supra, RX7, 3000GT VR4 or 300ZX, that boost spells whoopass. Period!!

PEAce..
Old 03-21-2003, 05:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Get a HB civic and k20 RSX-R engine and tranny You could have 2200lbs body with 220hp n/a. LOL Add a turbo kit and you'll be running 10's all day.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Safety Car

Depends on how much you want to spend:

Here are some options based on budget:

$10K

1992 Civic HB, B18C1 bolts into it (same mounting configuration as integra... no welds, factory-fit). Rebuild motor... and lighten-up car... run high 12's NA

$15K

Same as above, but add a turbocharger... 10's easy

$15K

1998 Civic HB, K20 motor... no need to rebuild... TODA package.. makes 220whp... run low 12's NA

$35K

Any civic, custom-built motor, turbo system, chassis upgrades.. run 9's or even high 8's

$35K

1994'ish Supra... upgrade everything... run mid 10's all-day long
Old 03-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What's next: trying to outrun a Hayabusa with a Harley!!

Originally posted by F23A4
And in JUST the same way, there's nothing like hearing a turbo (wastegate) spoolup followed by a powerful BOV PFFFFFTTTT! And if its coming from a modded Supra, RX7, 3000GT VR4 or 300ZX, that boost spells whoopass. Period!!

PEAce..
LOL, sorry those are cool cars. But the fastest street cars are not FI turbos. They have a 10" slick "fastest street car shootout" contest. Might want to take a look at it

Supra is a highway car, not a 1/4 mile dragster.

3000GT VR4 will break, but can be decently quick. Lots of parts not designed to take 700+HP

300ZX is spiffy but not all that, I put the Supra up higher...

RX7's are pimp. A 4 rotor would be wicked.

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!

PERIOD!

lol

You can't make a 3.2L engine make more HP than a 5.7 with the same mods and setup on both. It just doesn't work that way...
Old 03-21-2003, 09:48 PM
go like hell

I'm a hardcore import dude as far as mild-medium racing strip racing,autocross, and stuff like that. but if all your going to do is run it down the strip go with either a Camero SS(which has LT1 motor which is basically a vette motor )or Buick Grand National they had a V-6 and I seen them smoke many V-8's no problem. I'm knocking Imports but the price for performance parts on like mustangs,cameros and fire birds vs imports it's about 1/2 (I know there's a greater amount of companies manufacturing them) but as far as HP bang for your buck it's hard to beat a SS with twin turbo setup. .

as far as the old saying no replacement for displacement I disagree with that. look at Civic that's are souped up running 12's like all motor said. a new off the show room floor Z06( which has 2 times the amount of cylinders) would be lucky if it could run that. the technology is out there if you buy the right motor to do UNREAL THINGS
Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

For the track I would get the following:

1.) Mazda RX-7: not too expensive nowadays, but light as fuck and incredible at the track.
2.) Mazday Miata; cheap and light as hell
3.) Acura Integra Type R: this car was made for the track
4.) Honda S2000: same as ITR, but so impractical
5.) Toyota Supra: damn everyone wants one, but good like finding a decent one for a good price. Kinda heavy, but awesome none the less in all round performance.
6.) My FAVORITE: Corvette ZO6; for the price; nothing can touch it and you gotta love good ol torque!!!

more to come; just can't remember right now.

-Jusitn
Old 03-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by importtuner

6.) My FAVORITE: Corvette ZO6; for the price; nothing can touch it and you gotta love good ol torque!!!
No argument there!! For the money, no other car can outperform ANY C5 Corvette.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

z06 as a track car? 50g's?????????? LOL dude, for 50g's you can build a car that will be much faster and take more power than the z06. For 50g's you could build your own RWD HB civic.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:26 PM
Racer

I looked in the papers.. and ebay... now i'm kinda convinced into getting a 92 Miata..... Sure a civic or integra might be cheaper but... i've had hondas and acura all my life other than my carolla..... i kinda want something different.... i want to stick with imports though since itz for autox not dragstrip... And a RX-7/Supra/3000GT are kinda pricey for me... i want soemtihng dirt cheap almost just a decent frame/body to build on...
Old 03-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

"z06 as a track car? 50g's?????????? LOL dude, for 50g's you can build a car that will be much faster and take more power than the z06. For 50g's you could build your own RWD HB civic."-Zapata

Yeah, you're a complete idiot. I'm sure 99% of this board will take a ZO6 over a RWD Civic ANYDAY! And ZO6's not making any power. There's another ignorant post. The LS6 is probably one of the greatest motors GM has ever built, if not the LS1. Trust me this thing could handle alot of power!!! Besides the ZO6 was built for the track. How many 400 hp cars can you get STOCK for 50 g's brand new and still manage 28 miles to the gallon. Just look at the lingenfelter Vette's. Anyways, why in hell would you want a RWD Civic!! Honostly if I had 50 g's to spend it wouldn't go into a Civic. I will either:

1.) Buy a ZO6
2.) Buy a used NSX; another car built for the track and the realms of daily abuse.
3.) Buy a Supra and build it for the track with enough power to back it up.
4.) Buy a used Viper (prolly the best track car out there next to a 911 Turbo or 360 Modena)

Seriously that was an ignorant post. There are other cars out there than imports. If you're a true enthusiast, you would respect cars for what they are and not where they're from. And if you think I'm domestic biased I'm not, I have a '00 R and personally this is a track car built for the track. I can find no other use for it; FWD drag racing is a PITA, and daily driving is obnoxious. But I can honestly say I would have alot more fun with the cars mentioned aboved ANYDAY over my car or a $50,000 Civic. Sheesh!!!
-Justin
Old 03-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Burning Brakes

But to stick to the original post. If you're are looking for an affordable track car; I can honestly say from personal experience that you cannot go wrong with a Type R. I know its front wheel drive and all, but I haven't had so much fun in a front wheel drive car until I've gotten the R. Like I said, this car is built for the track!! The performance is not bad considering its a 4-cylinder. 0-60 is about 6 seconds and handling is about 0.93 g's. The car is light, very rev happy, gets decent gas mileage, has awesome brakes, has the infamous honda transmission, has a LSD, and short gearing. You can't go wrong. I know miata's have been mentioned, but I don't know how well Mazda reliability is. The R has about 26,000 miles on the odomoter and has had ZERO reliability issues and thats with me hitting redline everyday, everytime I drive it. Trust me its a thrill. The Type R basically is a poor man's track car!! As I said before I can see no purpose for it besides the track!
-Justin
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

But to stick to the original post. If you're are looking for an affordable track car; I can honestly say from personal experience that you cannot go wrong with a Type R. I know its front wheel drive and all, but I haven't had so much fun in a front wheel drive car until I've gotten the R. Like I said, this car is built for the track!! The performance is not bad considering its a 4-cylinder. 0-60 is about 6 seconds and handling is about 0.93 g's. The car is light, very rev happy, gets decent gas mileage, has awesome brakes, has the infamous honda transmission, has a LSD, and short gearing. You can't go wrong. I know miata's have been mentioned, but I don't know how well Mazda reliability is. The R has about 26,000 miles on the odomoter and has had ZERO reliability issues and thats with me hitting redline everyday, everytime I drive it. Trust me its a thrill. The Type R basically is a poor man's track car!! As I said before I can see no purpose for it besides the track!
-Justin
I agree with that post (re: ITR) but there are three problems (or concerns) with the ITR:

1) Finding one locally (i.e.: harder to locate here in NJ but maybe not as hard in So Cal)
2) Finding one that hasnt been abused
3) Finding one that hasnt been riced over

If you can overcome those three things then, you did good.

Peace.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Eh, z06 is a fantastic ride but he civic as in CHEAP track car. Z06 isn't cheap by any stretch of tue imagination. Perhaps you should've tailored your response to his question rather than going off about a million other cars he DIDN"T ASK ABOUT.

We aren't donald trump who can buy a 50g track car that might be used once in a while.

Moreover, depending on what kind of track the person meant the maintainence on the car will be quite substantial. If you are talking about SCCA, lol, oil changes, tires, brakes etc., then have fun paying for it if you are on a budget.

Vettes only can handle so much power before they start going sideways down the track. I've seen it too many times. Are they fast as hell oh yea. I'm not going to tell you otherwise but there is a limitation. I'm not talking about the internals .

Depending on how complex you do or don't wan to get. You can get a CIVIC HB body for 2-4k easily and purchase the k20 RSX-R motor and tranny w/LSD for something around 5k(maybe more). You have 220hp in a car that ways 2220lbs.

Thanks for the evaluation of me as car enthusiatest i'll be sure to file it along with everything else i don't care about.

"z06 as a track car? 50g's?????????? LOL dude, for 50g's you can build a car that will be much faster and take more power than the z06. For 50g's you could build your own RWD HB civic."-Zapata

Yeah, you're a complete idiot. I'm sure 99% of this board will take a ZO6 over a RWD Civic ANYDAY! And ZO6's not making any power. There's another ignorant post. The LS6 is probably one of the greatest motors GM has ever built, if not the LS1. Trust me this thing could handle alot of power!!! Besides the ZO6 was built for the track. How many 400 hp cars can you get STOCK for 50 g's brand new and still manage 28 miles to the gallon. Just look at the lingenfelter Vette's. Anyways, why in hell would you want a RWD Civic!! Honostly if I had 50 g's to spend it wouldn't go into a Civic. I will either:

1.) Buy a ZO6
2.) Buy a used NSX; another car built for the track and the realms of daily abuse.
3.) Buy a Supra and build it for the track with enough power to back it up.
4.) Buy a used Viper (prolly the best track car out there next to a 911 Turbo or 360 Modena)

Seriously that was an ignorant post. There are other cars out there than imports. If you're a true enthusiast, you would respect cars for what they are and not where they're from. And if you think I'm domestic biased I'm not, I have a '00 R and personally this is a track car built for the track. I can find no other use for it; FWD drag racing is a PITA, and daily driving is obnoxious. But I can honestly say I would have alot more fun with the cars mentioned aboved ANYDAY over my car or a $50,000 Civic. Sheesh!!!
-Justin
Old 03-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry to vent Zapata, but I had to. No flames intended. Oh to the above reply to the ITR, yeah chances are that its probably impossible to find an ITR that hasn't been beaten on. Most of the ITR guys I know track their car, but the car is well prepped for the beating. TRUST ME; I don't beat on my car but I do get into VTEC very often; especially in a track. Your always in VTEC, but I got the car just for that. Maintenance isn't expensive at all, but can be if parts break due to stupidity. The car was built for the track as I said several times before. The pistons are specially coated for the abuse and the car comes with an oil cooler. I have had NO problems in this car; its fantastic. And plus they're not that expensive IMO!!! You could find a decent one for about $14 grand which is a steal if you'd ask me!! You get alot for what you pay!!
-Justin
Old 03-23-2003, 02:08 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Sorry to vent Zapata, but I had to. No flames intended. Oh to the above reply to the ITR, yeah chances are that its probably impossible to find an ITR that hasn't been beaten on. Most of the ITR guys I know track their car, but the car is well prepped for the beating. TRUST ME; I don't beat on my car but I do get into VTEC very often; especially in a track. Your always in VTEC, but I got the car just for that. Maintenance isn't expensive at all, but can be if parts break due to stupidity. The car was built for the track as I said several times before. The pistons are specially coated for the abuse and the car comes with an oil cooler. I have had NO problems in this car; its fantastic. And plus they're not that expensive IMO!!! You could find a decent one for about $14 grand which is a steal if you'd ask me!! You get alot for what you pay!!
-Justin

ITR, won't agrue with you at all I'm glad we have an understanding. I knew it was just a miscommunication