Seriously thinking about kicking the CL to the curb

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Seriously thinking about kicking the CL to the curb

Yeah 93K miles and car needs another trans....If Acura does not come through and fix this on their dime, I am gonna get rid of it for another car (prolly a 2003 or thereabouts Accord with an I4)

I had problems with the new transmission about 9 months after they put it in (big pause in the 2-3 shift in the winter time slipping under light accellleration, jerks under slowdown and speed up when at slow speeds) and now at 23K it is burning fluid up like a mad man.

One service adviser at my dealer basically told me I was SOL. My response was that I have brought this car in multiple times for inspection regarding these problems (they are documented) during the warranty period and that they as a dealer need to step up and deal with this problem.

The dealer in question is the only one who has serviced my car so there is no question of abuse or incomplete maint.

Does anyone here have the district managers ph for the midwest area?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
Yeah 93K miles and car needs another trans....If Acura does not come through and fix this on their dime, I am gonna get rid of it for another car (prolly a 2003 or thereabouts Accord with an I4)

I had problems with the new transmission about 9 months after they put it in (big pause in the 2-3 shift in the winter time slipping under light accellleration, jerks under slowdown and speed up when at slow speeds) and now at 23K it is burning fluid up like a mad man.

One service adviser at my dealer basically told me I was SOL. My response was that I have brought this car in multiple times for inspection regarding these problems (they are documented) during the warranty period and that they as a dealer need to step up and deal with this problem.

The dealer in question is the only one who has serviced my car so there is no question of abuse or incomplete maint.

Does anyone here have the district managers ph for the midwest area?
even if you did not pay for it, it should still have a 12 month warrenty on it, but depending on how many miles driven it might be out by that way though (12k miles)
then if you did pay for a portion of it, it should basically have a 3 year, 36,000 mile warrenty

also is that harsh shift, when the engine is still cold (you say winter), then onced warmed up, it's good; if so it is kinda normal , but yes annoying as f*** though
Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Do what makes you happy.
if the current CL isn't up to your standards as far as the trans going, then dump it and go for the Accord.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
I'm the second owner of my CL-S. First time I think was in 04. Tranny was completely replaced by Acura. Second time was just recently (maybe in March?) Went to the dealer. Told them that tranny is messed and that I wanted a replacement. "Car out of warranty, your tranny's been replaced before." "Well what am I suppose to do?" "We can do a brand new replacement for you" "Well how much is that?" "Aprox. $9k after install and tax"

long story short, did a rebuild for 3.5k and I feel your pain. Even after my rebuild, I feel like dumping it and going for a Lexus GS. That was my original plan before rebuilding but had no time.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
I'm the second owner of my CL-S. First time I think was in 04. Tranny was completely replaced by Acura. Second time was just recently (maybe in March?) Went to the dealer. Told them that tranny is messed and that I wanted a replacement. "Car out of warranty, your tranny's been replaced before." "Well what am I suppose to do?" "We can do a brand new replacement for you" "Well how much is that?" "Aprox. $9k after install and tax"

long story short, did a rebuild for 3.5k and I feel your pain. Even after my rebuild, I feel like dumping it and going for a Lexus GS. That was my original plan before rebuilding but had no time.
they don't even make new ones anymore i thought , they are all rebuilds from honda themselves
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
they don't even make new ones anymore i thought , they are all rebuilds from honda themselves
no clue. that's just what I was told from the tech guy.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
no clue. that's just what I was told from the tech guy.
fair enough, but yeah a rebuilt one from acura, even installed by them, is still only like $4-5k
Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Well I am going to send off a letter to the Acura Service Manager because there is no way that a transmission with 24K on it should have the fluid getting dirty... In about a week and a half, I will be doing the trans drain and fill myself and I am going to give a sample of the trans fluid to my company for analysis and see what they have to say. right now if I use a white cloth to wipe the diptick it will leave an darkish orage like residue on it. I am willing to bet that the SOS lab comes back and states

1. excessive clutch pack material
2. trans fluid is getting cooked (showing signs of exposure to high heat)
Old 07-19-2010, 01:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
Do what makes you happy.
if the current CL isn't up to your standards as far as the trans going, then dump it and go for the Accord.
My standard is having a reliable car and for the amt paid for this car, the transmission (especially the replacement one) should last the life of the car under normal driving conditions.

I find it EXTREMELY SAD that my 1994 honda accord rebuilt from salvage at 60K has been by far more reliable than this Acura I have now (btw that little accord is still going strong with over 200K on it with the ORIGNAL transmission and engine) dispite my friend not taking care of the car for the last 50K+ miles that he has had it.