Sequential Sportshift Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sequential Sportshift Question

I am struggling with purchasing a SS 2001 cl-s--I think the 6 speed should be here within a year or so...maybe sooner...MAYBE.....my question about the SS---is there any way to make it so it is in effect a true manual WITHOUT a clutch? Meaning..the car I test drove you were unable to shift manually from 1st to second gear manually...it seemed to do it on its own can you mod this to fix that problem?
Also are the downshifts herky/jerky or smooth?
Can you redline the car while manually shifting..is the 260 hp actually utilized?
I can deal with a SS if it behaves like a manual without the clutch...just wondering...o also...

sorry about all the questions...I am new to the scene

Dave
Old 12-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Downshifts are smooth and computer controlled so you can't over-rev on downshift (unlike manual - you should talk to all the guys who are overeving their RSX's). You can control first to second shift by using D1 to D2 to D3 etc. It winds out really quick though. You WILL hit the rev limiter.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Sequential Sportshift Question

Originally posted by DaveBlkCL-S
I am struggling with purchasing a SS 2001 cl-s--I think the 6 speed should be here within a year or so...maybe sooner...MAYBE.....my question about the SS---is there any way to make it so it is in effect a true manual WITHOUT a clutch? Meaning..the car I test drove you were unable to shift manually from 1st to second gear manually...it seemed to do it on its own can you mod this to fix that problem?
Also are the downshifts herky/jerky or smooth?
Can you redline the car while manually shifting..is the 260 hp actually utilized?
I can deal with a SS if it behaves like a manual without the clutch...just wondering...o also...

sorry about all the questions...I am new to the scene

Dave
I am sure you will get other replies but my take:

1) 6-speed is about 95% chance to be here in March/April
2) 1-2 shift on sportshift can not be controlled in CLS
3) shifting is VERY smooth (IMHO) ... but delayed and cetainly not as quick as it could be (this is Acura trying to make it comfortable I think - this is not an RSX)

It is up to you, but if you really like having a manual I would wait for the 6-speed, HOWEVER if you only occassionally want to have fun with manual switch and downshifting go with the SS as a manual in traffic can be rough going especially if it is like the kind we get in NC 30mph-0mph-40mph-0mph-30mph, etc.

I am sure you are reading the other threads, but if you are looking for the current CLS with a bit more sport (less luxo) then perhaps you can wait the 3 months cause I think Acura is about to surprise some folks.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:18 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
dude, just get the 6 spd otherwise were going to be seeing you in 4 months whining! heheh

i just dont want to see anybody with regrets.

when I bought my TL i didnt get navi and i regretted it so much... having regrets bout a new car SUCKS.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gto2050
Downshifts are smooth and computer controlled so you can't over-rev on downshift (unlike manual - you should talk to all the guys who are overeving their RSX's). You can control first to second shift by using D1 to D2 to D3 etc. It winds out really quick though. You WILL hit the rev limiter.
Yeah - add me to the list of folks that likes the fact that 1-2 shift is not controlled. 2nd and 3rd is where the real control and power is for the CLS
Old 12-03-2001, 10:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by soopa
dude, just get the 6 spd otherwise were going to be seeing you in 4 months whining! heheh

i just dont want to see anybody with regrets.

when I bought my TL i didnt get navi and i regretted it so much... having regrets bout a new car SUCKS.
I think I should have just said it like you Soopa

If I had any patience I would be driving my 98 Integra GSR still waiting for the 6-speed. I just did not think Acura was going to do it and liked the CLS otherwise.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:42 AM
Instructor

hehe

You are right...you probably would see me whining in 4 months if a new one comes out 3 months after I purchase mine... ....but damn I like this car and I am an impatient sucka...
I dunno what I am goign to do...I also really want silver but black is all I could find with no miles on it in a 2001...$26,500--no navi...marble dash (which I dont like anyway but its all the dealer has..)
Old 12-03-2001, 11:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: hehe

all I could find with no miles on it in a 2001...$26,500--no navi...
$2500 better than I did! I'd say jump on it, mod the hell out of it like the rest of us and be happy. AEM's plug-n-play ECU will give you the tranny control your looking for (from what I've read/heard.) Lil pricey though.

I really appreciate the auto trans for day-day driving in traffic. Cols, OH. area is getting worse every day (stop-n-go freeway games.) The 6-speed would be nice, but my left leg would start screaming at me after time!
Old 12-03-2001, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Sequential Sportshift Question

is there any way to make it so it is in effect a true manual WITHOUT a clutch? Meaning..the car I test drove you were unable to shift manually from 1st to second gear manually...it seemed to do it on its own can you mod this to fix that problem?
Dave
When our car first came out lots of people whined about this. I still don't understand why anyone will be needing to control 1-2 shift manually. The only time you will probably need it, is when you are starting from a stop and there is an immediate sharp hair pin in front of you. That you might need to hold first for a while. You can do that by shifting to "1" instead of "D" and move up the gates when you what to upshift.

I don't see any case you would want to downshift from 2nd to 1st in normal driving. I have NEVER needed (or wanted) to downshift from 2nd to 1st on my MANUAL maxima! But then again, I've never driven on a race track before.

And no, no matter what you do, we still have a slush box and it's never gonna be a true manual. Get the 6-speed if that's what you want...
Old 12-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Re: Re: Sequential Sportshift Question

Originally posted by provench

2) 1-2 shift on sportshift can not be controlled in CLS
Well, one exception:
If you are going <= 20 mph, and you slam on the gas,
it will auto-downshift to 1st gear to give you more power.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:02 PM
Race Director

Exactly. The 1-2 shift can be controlled. Those who say it cannot, don't know how to do it, that's all.

The car has always shifted to 1st when I needed it to be there. If it didn't, chances are it wouldn't go there in a manual either.

Otherwise, I have never needed to do the 1st gear thing. Chod and Randy are correct.

The 6-speed is not going to be perfect. Wait until it's been out awhile and Shawn will give you the complete rundown within a day or two of it's introduction. You can count on it.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

1st and 2nd can be controlled.

Just move the lever all the way to the bottom of the shift gauge to 1st. Then don't when your ready to shift up move to the right and it'll shift to 2nd.

This is the way I hold 1st gear.
Old 12-26-2001, 08:58 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think ss is a great feature, i wouldn't get a manual mainly because i have to drive to school and traffic is a bitch, it would be a pain to do all that shifting.

-briancl