Selling the CL and buying a Type-R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling the CL and buying a Type-R?

I was thinking about getting rid of the CLS6 and buying a Type-R. I'm getting married next year and really don't wan't to keep a +$500/mo payment. I figured for that money I could buy myself a less expensive sporty coupe and a small SUV for the Wife. How does giving up the CL for a Type-R sound? Secondly how can you tell whether or not an Integra is really a Type-R? Thx.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Originally Posted by JaDia4
I was thinking about getting rid of the CLS6 and buying a Type-R. I'm getting married next year and really don't wan't to keep a +$500/mo payment. I figured for that money I could buy myself a less expensive sporty coupe and a small SUV for the Wife. How does giving up the CL for a Type-R sound? Secondly how can you tell whether or not an Integra is really a Type-R? Thx.
The title should say something about it. I read on another post that people didn't believe a person had a type R and he had to show people at shows the title to prove it.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Burning Brakes

You have an '03 6-speed?? I personally own a Type R and would love to own a CL-S! Honestly, I don't think you should do it. Yeah the car is fun as hell to drive, but the CL-S is so much nicer, smoother, and powerful. The R is a pain to drive daily cause there's no sound deadening and the suspesion is real bumpy. Plus all the power is up top so you gotta wind the motor to get to speed. But if you're heart is calling for an R I would more than likely trade you mine for I've been looking for a CL-S 6-speed!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:18 AM
Burning Brakes

As far as the exterior goes: The R comes with 5 lug wheels which in the '00-'01 models are gunmetal and the '97-'98 models are champ. white. Championship white only came in the '97-'98 models; Flamengo Black Pearl and Phoenix Yellow in '00; and Nighthawk Black Pearl and Phoenix Yellow in '01. The R doesn't have any side moldings, has a front lip, stickers in the sides and rear, and a higher spoiler. You can see the rear sway bar that is underneath the car from the back. The car doesn't come or never came with a sunroof. As far as the engine goes; there is a strut bar and the valve cover is red. You can also see the LSD since the word is stamped on the transmission. In the interior you have carbon fiber accents, sport seats with red stitching, 10,000 rpm tach, and an emblem on the center console stating the year and model number. Mine for example reads '00-#1530. When you drive it you will notice how loud the car is due to the lack of sound deadening and how bumpy it is due to the stiff suspension. You also get alot of attention, some of which is completely unneeded. You gotta be careful where you park this car cause its highly prone to theft, I mean HIGHLY. There are so many ricers out there that desire this and would whatever it takes. This is one of the reasons why I want to get rid of it. I mean its a REALLY fun car to drive; so predictable, and pretty rev-happy. It has a lot of top-end power for a four-banger. Oh another thing, A/C came standard in the '00-'01 models where it was an option for the '97-'98. I think that's it. It's really easy to distinguish the cars. You just need a good eye.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:30 AM
drop em like its hot

damn i thought you were talking about getting a NSX type R from the title thread.... never would think someone would downgrade form a cls-6 to a ITR ITR is a great ride but its definitely on a different level than the CL-S6. but i definitely understand what you mean by reducing financial payments... good luck with whatever you go with

-rez
Old 11-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Censored User

I'm surprised to see so many people wise about the Type-R. That's really good info though guys thanks.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
My friend owns a '00 Yellow Type R and I have to say the car is fun to drive in, but only when it's in the higher RPM range. The car has nothing down low. I mean we raced a '93 Accord and we were neck to neck off the line until my buddy's Type R reached 5k and VTEC kicked in. The redline I believe is a little under 9k, should be 8500 but I think you can get away with more. The seats are nice but the carbon fiber accents are fake looking. In fact the passenger side air vent is missing the carbon fiber accent which is kinda weird. You will definitely miss the V6 power and feeling on the CL and the smooth ride and comfort. Otherwise though, if you are looking for something to race around in, go with the Type R. The handling is exceptional and it is rev happy. I wouldn't buy a yellow one though since it attracts a lot of attention and my friend has been pulled over sundry times when he wasn't even doing anything b/c his car is yellow and has a big wing.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Banned

Have you ever driven a Type R? Do you know how loud and rough riding they are? Before you give up a near luxury CL for a rough hotrodding Type R you might want to drive just a plain old Integra. Type Rs are nice but loud, fast, firm, and don't even have a moonroof. They are stripped down. Amazing cars but maybe too unpolished. Do your homework first. Also, everone will want to race you and your car will go to #1 for theft risk.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldnt do it, I second the ride issue and noise factor that everybody has mentioned.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Team Owner

I wouldn’t do it. How much are you really “saving”?
I though R’s in good condition were selling for the high teens and the best you’ll get for the CL is low-mid 20’s.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 PM
Flap.

i wonder how high the insurance would be on an ITR considering the theft rate, somthing to look into
Old 11-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Racer

Speaking from experience.....I used to own a 01 Type R. Like everyone stated, yes its fun to drive but just gets old. I sold my R to get somethin gmore luxurious and ended up getting a CLS..Although I miss my ARRRRR, I love my CLS just as much...SO really it all comes down to whether you want luxury or do you enjoyment. Driving 8 hours in an ARRRRR with no cruise control isn't very comfortable. Goodluck on your decision.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Censored User

Originally Posted by Hobo
i wonder how high the insurance would be on an ITR considering the theft rate, somthing to look into
Good point.

As far as driving a Teg, check the sig....I used to own a GSR, and loved it. I would never give up the CL for an ITR, but I do plan on selling the CL immediately. And, as far as price goes there is still one listed on Autotrader at $11K here in florida, but I called them today and it was already sold. I plan on selling the CL for about $22K or better, then starting over with something much less expensive.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:29 PM
drop em like its hot

how much are you looking to spend for a car? give us a price range and im sure we can give you some good suggestions
Old 11-12-2004, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I dunno bout where you live, but up here in the tristate--you can more than likely kiss the ITR goodbye..that shit will get lifted in like a week... G luck!
Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
im not for sale
Old 11-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Censored User

Sorry been away for a bit. I'm only looking to spend $12k or less. I was also thinking a sr20det 240 se. I've seen some of those on Autotrader for around $10k and under. At that price I can easily get the wife a car car big enough to do some road trips. I'm not too worried about giving up the lux of the CL. Just want to lower the monthly payments, yet have something powerfel and fun. The problem is getting what I still owe for the CL. Esserman of Miami offered me $14k! B.S.!
Old 11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
I dunno bout where you live, but up here in the tristate--you can more than likely kiss the ITR goodbye..that shit will get lifted in like a week... G luck!
werd, especially in north jersey, if you park anywhere more GSR got broken into 3 times in his drive way within a one week by the same people, they wont stop...the two ITR that i know are garage kept and never driven unless the purpose is to drive...my other friend, when he first got his GSR, debadged it and swaped the rims imedialty just so it would be less noticable...just trying to give you an idea of what you gonna get yourself into...sweet car..only as a second vehicle tho
Old 11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The problem is getting what I still owe for the CL. Esserman of Miami offered me $14k! B.S.!
There is your first problem. How much you owe? If its 22k or more, you're gonna wind up upside down if you try and sell it. Unfortunately, all CLs resale values were affected by our bum 5AT trannies. It would probably easier to just keep the car, and cut back a few things here and there. You'd be amazed at how much you can save just by going out less.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Censored User

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
There is your first problem. How much you owe? If its 22k or more, you're gonna wind up upside down if you try and sell it. Unfortunately, all CLs resale values were affected by our bum 5AT trannies. It would probably easier to just keep the car, and cut back a few things here and there. You'd be amazed at how much you can save just by going out less.
Going out?!?!?! I have been out maybe 5 times in the last year, I have really cut back on alot of things. So. Fla is a big problem, its too damn expensive. Yeah the CL resale value really sucks, even if it doesn't the 5at tranny. You'd think someone would want to jump all over a "1 of 2700 ever made" car. Mileage doesn't help either, 33k. I moved closer to work to cut down on the fuel costs, and the frustration of getting cut off every single day. I just want to unload this thing. But reading allmotor's recent post and things that Scalbert was working on make me want to keep it. I just know that finances are one of the big reasons whyh marriages fall part, so I'm trying to prepare. Cheap yet sporty car for me, and small SUV type for the wife and road trips.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Going out?!?!?! I have been out maybe 5 times in the last year, I have really cut back on alot of things. So. Fla is a big problem, its too damn expensive. Yeah the CL resale value really sucks, even if it doesn't the 5at tranny. You'd think someone would want to jump all over a "1 of 2700 ever made" car. Mileage doesn't help either, 33k. I moved closer to work to cut down on the fuel costs, and the frustration of getting cut off every single day. I just want to unload this thing. But reading allmotor's recent post and things that Scalbert was working on make me want to keep it. I just know that finances are one of the big reasons whyh marriages fall part, so I'm trying to prepare. Cheap yet sporty car for me, and small SUV type for the wife and road trips.
How about a trade plus cash if you want the money. Its not a type-s, but its only got 31k miles. You'd still drive a CL, and have some extra cash.
(2001 CL-P, 31k)
Old 11-12-2004, 11:55 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good point.

As far as driving a Teg, check the sig....I used to own a GSR, and loved it. I would never give up the CL for an ITR, but I do plan on selling the CL immediately. And, as far as price goes there is still one listed on Autotrader at $11K here in florida, but I called them today and it was already sold. I plan on selling the CL for about $22K or better, then starting over with something much less expensive.

I was considering buying a type r before my first cl. I have progressive and it was $8 more a month for a type r 2000 then a 2001 cls w/ navi. My opinion is a type r would be a more project car then a daily driver then a cls.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Censored User

I was doing some research of Autotrader and other sites. But I came across this ad for a CL-S.

2 Buckets Seats,3.2L V6 GAS FI,4 wheel Drive ,5 Seating Capacity,AM/FM Tape and CD,Air Conditioning,Alloy Wheels,Automatic Transmission,Climate … more
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r=&cardist=118
Old 11-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
118 miles on an 03 5A CLS for $24,995.

Talk about holding their value.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Yeah the CL resale value really sucks, even if it doesn't the 5at tranny. You'd think someone would want to jump all over a "1 of 2700 ever made" car.
There were only 2700 CL-S 6 speeds made. If you have a 6spd then your resale value will be a lot better than the A/T.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Excelerate
There were only 2700 CL-S 6 speeds made. If you have a 6spd then your resale value will be a lot better than the A/T.
Nope, 3500
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125628

And unless someone knows how rare that car is, which I doubt 99.9% of the population would, it won't be worth anymore to them than the 5AT.