Sell CL for a G35C??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 10:01 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Sell CL for a G35C??

My interest in a used G35 coupe has reemerged. I would really miss the CL's smoothness and the clutch is much better. But the G35 has the looks and handling I always wanted in the CL, and I'm thinking it holds it's value much better than the CL. I'm tempted to sell the CL to get the most $$ out of it now.

I'm thinking I may only keep it til a new Acura coupe comes out in 2 years maybe?? I'm hoping Acura will ratchet up the coupe looks like they did for the TL. I prefer the Acura product as a total package over the G. The interior and materials in the CL are way above the G IMO.
Well, not sure what I will do. Bluebook gave me $26,200 on my CLS but the real world will be different, I know.
Am I crazy to give up my CLS 6MT Navi? I've always liked the G35c since it came out but the price kept me away. I've never had a Nissan. Well just contemplating.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
DP's for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the same boat...but I just cannot justify the move right now!

That blue book is not even close to reality. Check out edmunds.com and that will give you a better idea of what your car is worth.
I checked my car on edmunds the other day and it said it was worth about $18,500 for my 03 SSM auto CL-S. So if someone will give you 26K i would take it and run over to get the G35c.

I just valued your car for my zip code and found out it is worth about $19,500 max, for a trade-in.

Good luck...let us know what happens
Old 05-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

i'd wait for the new coupe. RWD and engine is tempting but the weight and MPG of the car isn't so hot. Dunno. What you'll be able to get for the car is another story. G'luck....
Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I love the G35 Coupe, but I just can't justify the cost of getting one. I would hold out til the new coupe comes out.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:34 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

For my CLS 6MT/Navi 21k mi- Edmunds is quoting private party $20,800, Dealer $23k, Dealer certified $25k. If I could get into a G for $5k I would, for $10k probably not.
I hope Acura gives the next coupe some stylin. They did it with the Legend Coupes and the NSX. The CLS package as a whole was very good, but the styling was lacking for a sports coupe IMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:44 AM
DP's for life

I think that the coupe needs to be smaller then it is today...one thing that really hurts the second gen CL is the size and weight. They need to make the car smaller and lighter and add SH-AWD. If they did I would be one of the first on the list to buy one.
Reality says that Coupes do not sell well for Honda/ Acura herein the US... if we do see a new coupe it will not be soon I would guess.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artwork
I think that the coupe needs to be smaller then it is today...one thing that really hurts the second gen CL is the size and weight. They need to make the car smaller and lighter and add SH-AWD. If they did I would be one of the first on the list to buy one.
Smaller, and lighter is the RSX. The CL was never designed to be a pocket rocket.

The CL is sports luxury... and for as long as they make a car in that class, weight will not be down given all the luxury goodies. Add SH-AWD for even more weight.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Friend of mine has G35C manual, and yeah I give two thumbs up for its styling. His is Black on black with dark tint which is very noticeably in any distance. Here are few things I would consider before switching it to G35C

Acura 3.2CL-S:

Pros - Better interior (Even G35C owners would have to agree to this)
Better Navigation system (I don't own one in my car but my parents TL-P has it)
Cheaper (Bought mine new at 26K with 700 miles)
Truck Space (I can fit 4 golf clubs in CL, and you'd be luck if u fit more than 2 in G35C)
Gas MPG (20MPG in city compared to 18MPG in city)

Cons - Higher depreciation rate (Damn automatic Tranny)
Styling (subjective opinion)
Size (I believe it's relatively longer than G35C)
Discontinued model

I don't know about new G35 but old one had 280hp compared to 260hp on ours. Now, I don't know if you would notice much of difference with that kind of number, plus you have six speed so i'm sure it's a different story.

Only reason I would go for G35C is if exterior styling is one of my main concern when purchasing a vehicle and if they drop about $10,000 off their MSRP. To me, if I was considering $40,000 vehicle, I would start looking European rather than Japense. That's just my opinion so don't hate!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
I love some of the German coupes for sure, but not the cost, maintenance, and reliability. I'm sticking with Jp models. I do appreciate the CLS 6MT for the great car it is, just also want a more styling coupe. I'm hopeful Acura can pull it off as I think the new TL is a great looking sedan and Acura took some risks with the styling, (the RL is another matter entirely).
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Banned

Forget about edmunds etc.... Here are the "real" figures, You will be very lucky to get 20K on trade, you don't think so , just go to any dealer and you will find out

2003 Acura CL S 2D Coupe w/Nav MT with 21K

VIN: 19UYA4173
UVC: 2003020046
VIN + UVC: 19UYA4173046
MSRP: $32,700
Loan Value: $19,415
Model#: YA4173JNW
Price Incl: AT AC CD
Mileage Cat: B

Weight: 3,470
Wheelbase: 106.9
Taxable HP: 32.5
Tire Size: 215/50R17

Black Book Trade-In as of 05/09/05
Clean Average Rough
Base $19,780 $18,620 $15,030
Options $0 $0 $0
Mileage $200 $300 $0
Total $19,980 $18,920 $15,030
Old 05-12-2005, 01:00 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

F900- do you have a beef? My whole point is the CL is depreciating fast, I know that.

I didn't mention trade-in cause I would never trade-in, And I said the quotes online were not real world. One dealer did offer me an estimate of $19-$20k but I would never trade it unless they sweetened the other end of the deal to make up the loss.
I've had quite a few people show interest in my car, it is pretty rare being anthracite/6MT/Navi with pretty low miles. I paid $24,5k for it 14 months ago. I think I could sell it privately for $21-23k. My local car market (Austin) is high priced compared to say Houston or Dallas. Used G35 coupes sell for 2-3k more here than in Houston or San Antonio, I've been checking prices.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Instructor

i have a 01 cls auto....and my dad has an 04 g35 coupe auto....they are 2 completely different cars..the g35 handles like an exotic sports coupe and stops on a dime the pickup is a bet better than the cls but when you get in it you just feel like your in a race car..when driving the cls i feel much more comfortable and luxurious...the prices dont compare but the neither does the driveability...personally i like driving my car better for an everyday driver but as soon as your behind the wheel of the g35 it just has this race car feel
Old 05-12-2005, 01:16 PM
AVID HATER

Originally Posted by quicksilver10101
i have a 01 cls auto....and my dad has an 04 g35 coupe auto....they are 2 completely different cars..the g35 handles like an exotic sports coupe and stops on a dime the pickup is a bet better than the cls but when you get in it you just feel like your in a race car..when driving the cls i feel much more comfortable and luxurious...the prices dont compare but the neither does the driveability...personally i like driving my car better for an everyday driver but as soon as your behind the wheel of the g35 it just has this race car feel

I agree. My sis just bought a 03' G35C and personaly i think the materials inside are of a different caliber on luxury than my 01 cl-s. Also the 2005 has refined the interior even more. Only problem with the G35... its the honda accord of the luxury car market. Everybody has one
Old 05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Its too bad they dont make the G35C in 6 speed/awd, cuz then I'd be on it in a millisecond. High power rwd + manual trans = not good for MI winters. Otherwise they are nice cars. I would NEVER buy one for a "fun" car tho, that amount of $$ will get you a Cobra or C5, which will own that poser sports car in any kind of performance driving.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
12345, I thought you didn't like the G's interior (like me) ??

The RWD and resale value does make the G attractive, but the interior might take a little while to get used too (IMHO).

My 6spd (non-navi) prices out at 20K for a private sale on kbb.com (and 17K trade in) w/ 33K miles in excellent condition, which falls in line with the quotes F900 posted. I don't think F900 has a beef, he's just pointing out what's in the black book (what banks and dealerships use).

When TMK70 got his G35c, he complained about the small trunk. He's since moved on to a Maxima...
Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Yea the G interior, dash anyway, is low rent, cheap looking compared to the CL. The 05 G dash is improved with real aluminum and some restyling. The trunk is very small and shallow, tire noise is pronounced, rougher ride with the sport suspension and bigger rims, lower mpg, higher cost to buy and insure....and the dealers sell every one they get, for near asking prices! All the G money is in the body and the mechanicals. It has most all the features of the CL except memory seats.

But it's surprising how functional and well featured our CL's are. I prefer the smooth power in the CL versus the boyracer ride in the G.
I like the G exterior, which has always been a point on the CL I find lacking. I think Acura can pull off an improved coupe with more sport and the smooth luxury we have now. I just hate that my 03 will be worth nothing when the new Acura does come out, plus I usually don't buy new so I'd have to wait another year after that.

I'll just get some new rims for the CL and touch up some dings I guess, to add some newness back to it! It's a better car averall IMO, but the G is way sexier and unique.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 AM
goldmemberererer

Total pts. possible: 40. 10 points in each category.

Categories: Luxury/Convenience, Sportiness/Drive, Rarity, Looks

CL-S: 8.0, 6.0, 8.5, 7.0 = 29.5/40 (add 1 pt for 6MT, 0.5 for nav)
G35C: 7.0, 8.5, 6.5, 8.5 = 30.5/40 (add 1 pt for 6MT, 0.5 for nav)
E46M3: 8.0, 9.0, 7.5, 8.5 = 33/40 (assuming it's well optioned)

Neither the M3 nor the G35 were worthy upgrades to me. When you get the dough to move on to something better in every respect (or almost), then pull the trigger. I feel lucky driving the CL. I don't think it's the best car in the world or even close, but it has its strong points which have kept me happy. I was seriously considering an M3 vert but really, it's not for me. Even sat in the Continental GT with good intentions but didn't like it either. Just made me appreciate my CL more.

Can I afford an upgrade? Yeah, but I'd rather save up to buy a house.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
12345, I thought you didn't like the G's interior (like me) ??

The RWD and resale value does make the G attractive, but the interior might take a little while to get used too (IMHO).

My 6spd (non-navi) prices out at 20K for a private sale on kbb.com (and 17K trade in) w/ 33K miles in excellent condition, which falls in line with the quotes F900 posted. I don't think F900 has a beef, he's just pointing out what's in the black book (what banks and dealerships use).

When TMK70 got his G35c, he complained about the small trunk. He's since moved on to a Maxima...

Green your right, i didn't have beef, i had chicken , no but seriously 123456SPEED, i just glanced at your post, and your taken my post the wrong way, i have access to current daily black book figures, that i thought you might like to see. So it gives you a better idea of how much you could get for your car, "assuming" you where going to trade it in....

I can give you the current retail BB figures if you like.... My advice is to keep the CL, you have a nice rare car, with low miles. and not only that you have low miles.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Book values don't always reflect real world, and I would do private party sale before I would ever trade it in. I sold my first 03 CLS 6 speed No Navi with 15k miles for $24k locally a year ago. You never know what you might get for a rare, be it niche, car.
I just wish Acura would bring out some info on a new coupe, even if it's 2 years away, it's only good marketing. with Lexus, BMW, and others already promoing their next coupes in one way or another, via new sedans in the series.

I want a Jp lux coupe whose exterior matches their interior!
G35- ext yes, int no.
CLS- ext no, int yes. body is not terrible, just not sporty enough.
SC430- ext no, int yes. pricey, no shifter, 2 seater. turtle.
IS350? - int probably yes, ext -not sure, no 6 speed! on top model. pricey.
Toy Solara - ext -ugh, int not bad, no 6sp 6 cyl., boaty.
German - BMW 06/07 3 Coupe- interior is spartan, sedan rear is bad. $$
Current 3 coupe- ext -good, int ok, pricey, reliability? too common, status.
What else?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
My interest in a used G35 coupe has reemerged............
I can not believe you would even consider replacing a wonderful Japanese car with one from a French owned company. That's sac religious. Unbelievable! :troutslap
Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Who are you? Is that supposed to be an important political remark or just ignorant Bush-speak?
If you are so righteous against governments that done us wrong, remember a little thing called WWII, I think the Japanese were involved.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Yea the G interior, dash anyway, is low rent, cheap looking compared to the CL. The 05 G dash is improved with real aluminum and some restyling. The trunk is very small and shallow, tire noise is pronounced, rougher ride with the sport suspension and bigger rims, lower mpg, higher cost to buy and insure....and the dealers sell every one they get, for near asking prices! All the G money is in the body and the mechanicals. It has most all the features of the CL except memory seats.

But it's surprising how functional and well featured our CL's are. I prefer the smooth power in the CL versus the boyracer ride in the G.
I like the G exterior, which has always been a point on the CL I find lacking. I think Acura can pull off an improved coupe with more sport and the smooth luxury we have now. I just hate that my 03 will be worth nothing when the new Acura does come out, plus I usually don't buy new so I'd have to wait another year after that.

I'll just get some new rims for the CL and touch up some dings I guess, to add some newness back to it! It's a better car averall IMO, but the G is way sexier and unique.

Here's my take on your comments having moved from a CL to an 04 6MT G coupe:

The center console is no work of art and it is questionable how long it will go without getting chipped, etc., but, sometimes something different is OK, even if it isn't quite up to snuff.

Trunk is non-existent.

There is no tire noise in my experience. The Pilots are very quiet.

The stock ride is actually a great compromise between sport and luxury. I am actually going to upgrade the sways, however, to reduce body roll further. This set up is the way the CL should have come.

More expensive to buy: Yes.

Excellent resale value (especially the 04s with Brembos): YES

More expensive to insure: By 3$ per year for me.

Do you have to deal with more people telling you how sweet your ride is: Every day!

To each their own. There are a number of significant areas where the CL is better than the G in. If someone could just mold the two together we'd have one sweet ride!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Instructor

My Wife and I own both. She drives the 01 CL-S,(110,000 mi) I have the G-35 Coupe, 04 auto, preimum.

They are different cars!
The Cl has much more comfortable seats, Slightly better interior. The 05 G-35's interior has been upgraded, but I have not been in one.
The Acura gets close to 30mpg highway, My G is just now getting 22-24mpg highway.
It has 10,000 mi, plus I added a K+N filter, and the Z-tube to the intake.

The G is much more the performance car, the Acura is the Lux-Touring.
We woould have gotten another CL-S is Acura made it.

Also the trunk in the CL is much bigger, so is the interior.

I love the G, my wife still love her Acura!
Old 05-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Beware of leakage

Ready to bail Ron ?

Anthracite/3 pedals/navi.

I might be looking later on in the year (I hope not too many people read this, or I'm going to get roasted)
Old 05-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL-Spell
I can not believe you would even consider replacing a wonderful Japanese car with one from a French owned company. That's sac religious. Unbelievable! :troutslap
we had a war with Japan
Old 05-14-2005, 08:22 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

No not ready. Lots of factors,
cost, lost money on sale of CLS.
the CLS is a great car.
I agree with other poster a blend of the best of the 2 cars would get my money.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Beware of leakage

No not ready. Lots of factors,
cost, lost money on sale of CLS.
the CLS is a great car.
I agree with other poster a blend of the best of the 2 cars would get my money.

was just curious. Of course I'll inquire again when the time comes around
Old 05-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,143 Likes on 3,631 Posts
Can you afford to keep the CL and buy the G? That's kinda what I did, 'cept I bought a 350ZR and have never regretted it for one millisecond.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Possibly but if I was gonna have 2 cars one would at least be for hauling stuff, or a beater, you know for a different purpose. The 2 coupes, are, well...coupes.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 AM
AVID HATER

As i remember the French are the major reason America is free today.
Because of a war with France the English could not send all of thier troops to squash the " unorginazed revolutionary forces". While we are all engulfed with this love for our founding father, the truth remains if England was not fighting a War at home our patriotic heros would have been crushed. Once England did get a chance to properly return to the Americas they then captured the White House and guess who came to our aid again? You got it, The French. God bless the French
Old 05-17-2005, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Thumbs down

I'm confused; is this the Acurazine forum or a forum for French Nissan? Why is there any discussion of something other than Acura's in this forum? The French make suckey autos! Other than Nissan, what other French auto has been a success in the United States? The answer is zero. You want a G35C? Buy it and take your discussion to that forum, because I visit this one to talk Acuras not Nishit! My
Old 05-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clswhite
I'm confused; is this the Acurazine forum or a forum for French Nissan? Why is there any discussion of something other than Acura's in this forum? The French make suckey autos! Other than Nissan, what other French auto has been a success in the United States? The answer is zero. You want a G35C? Buy it and take your discussion to that forum, because I visit this one to talk Acuras not Nishit! My
^^^ Couldn't have expressed it any better. Thanks!