Searching for hours, info needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Searching for hours, info needed

03 CL Type S. Typical transmission issues. I rebuilt one transmission years ago for a friend, still going strong. This one in my car, different story. Full rebuild, new converter, new solenoids, Idumitsu fluid. Transmission engages gear, do about a minute, then nothing. Ok, common issue, typically with solenoids. Cleaned old solenoids, put them in, same results.
I have a detailed pdf from a member of an Acura group, with full specs, steps, procedures, etc, for rebuilding these transmissions. And, as stated before, I've been into these ones before, with success.

So, questions...

Are torque converters known to go bad on these cars? Again, new converter, was filled with fluid before install. If converter does go out in these cars, is it typical shuddering, intermittent slipping, or are they known to just flat stop working after a minute or so?

Detail, specifics as well, as far as the solenoids. Exactly which ones control what functions? Does one of them control overall line pressure? Or do they control pressure to respective gears individually? Aside from applying voltage to actuate the solenoid, what other tests, if any, can be done to eliminate, isolate possible bad solenoid(s)?

This transmission was working great, till one morning couple weeks ago. It seems the warmer the fluid is, the less transmission engages, if at all. I've done the drain and fill x3, swapped solenoids, a full rebuild, by the book, even replacing the low clutch sprag. Yes, sprag is installed correctly, that was verified during rebuild.

It just seems as tho transmission loses pressure pretty quick, especially the warmer it gets. Just trying to get solid answers, maybe opinions, before I completely tear it down again. (Local shops aren't interested in touching these transmissions. A couple will, for 2k. I'm trying to avoid the 2k payout as money is an object at the moment. Yes, I'm heavily mechanically inclined, and been in these transmissions before. I'm just not sure how these particular torque converters behave when they fail)

I apologize if the answers are on here, I've searched all day, and haven't found them. Rather than any negative comments, I'd appreciate some direction, links, or answers.

And yes, I know all about the AV6 swap. I know it's a far better option, according to most, but at the moment, money, and availability in this area are not abundant. Contrary to what some have spoken, not all can afford to she'll out 1k+ or more at one time. So please, if it isn't relative to my questions, save it.

Thank you in advance for any and all info, opinions.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
^

Sir, with all due respect, there is just not all that much active traffic here, or on the 2G TL side, to provide the answers to what you seek.

The only current regular active members with an Automatic CL / TL is 'Thefireball' and 'whitetiger5', and they have employed the best alternative to the OEM factory automatic, the 06-07 AV6 transmission.

Maybe they can help you?

I have an automatic 03 CL-S project car and when, inevitably, the rebuilt OEM trans. 'sh!ts the bed', if I still own it, in goes an AV6 automatic, the end.

Last edited by zeta; 04-18-2021 at 08:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Thefireball (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 03:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delete this thread please

Can someone tell me how to delete this thread, or delete it for me? Thanks
Old 04-19-2021, 05:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
(read)
Old 04-21-2021, 06:54 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Get the manual online, and go to page 713. That's where I'm reading, since I don't have fourth gear.