SDCLS vs. Mercedes Benz new C350 and E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:15 AM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
SDCLS vs. Mercedes Benz new C350 and E63 AMG

Long time no post in here for me. Now I'm just doing my part to add a different variety in here especially since it's kinda slow in here.

First up, the C350. During the race, I could tell he was driving a MT (fairly well at that). Here are some quick specs for this 2007 model: Curb Weight: 3450 lbs./Acceleration (0-60 mph): 6 sec./Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 118.4 ft./Base Engine Size: 3.5 liters/Base Engine Type: V6/Horsepower: 268 hp/Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm/Torque: 258 ft-lbs./Max Torque: 2400 rpm/Drive Type: RWD
I've looked some 1/4 mile times and all of them are in the low 14s.

First run: was just a coincidence. I knew I was next to a new C-class at the light but didn't make anything of it. Anyhow, this was a long, wide three-lane road with traffic lights spread out about a mile. As I leave the light, I let the car shift from first to second and am in SS and started to stretch second gear to 4,500 rpm or so. I felt the MB by my side the whole time and noticed he was now gaining. I open it up til the end of the gear and I hold him to my rear fender and he was still on it.

The cool, early morning air made for brisk acceleration to the top of third and I did not shake him off as I shut it down. We even up at the next light and give each other thumbs up. I noticed he had a passenger (I was riding solo). At the red, I turned VSA off. The coast was clear as we went all out. We both got great, chirpless launches and are dead even. Between shifts, I felt him lunge ever so slightly before I was at redline at the top of second and third gears. I would even it back up since my redline is 750 rpm higher. I enter fourth gear and immediately felt that he started to pull just a bit. I eased off of the gas as he flew ahead of me. A job well done by the 3.5L 6M Mercedes.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Next is the beast in the 2007 E63 AMG. Specs: Curb Weight: 4035 lbs./Base Engine Size: 6.2 liters/Base Engine Type: V8/Horsepower: 507 hp/Max Horsepower: 6800 rpm/Torque: 465 ft-lbs./Max Torque: 5200 rpm/Drive Type: RWD

A friend and I were making our way back into town after a day at the paintball fields. This means I had my trunk full of our gear. This car caught my attention as I saw him roll up at the red. I was wondering if it was the AMG version but then noticed the kit. As we got the green, I pretty much took off the same as I did in the first run against the above C350 story. I saw him gaining and went WOT through second and third. I was left wondering if he was going all out since it took a good while to get his entire car length past me. He didn't reach this until I shifted to third. That growl was ferocious! I got a good listen to it since it seemed as if he were driving past me in a parking lot speed (if I were completely stopped).

As we got to the light I turned to find him giving me a thumbsup and he yelled over his music "Nice run. That's pretty quick." I then pointed to a a new, red Mustang Shelby Cobra waiting across from us at the light and told him he would get a better run out of that. I was wondering whether or not he would want to get a go from the stop. As the light turned green, I started to roll and hesitated in going WOT for just a second but it was just too late. By the time I redlined first, he was long gone!

I followed him for a bit to the light to turn onto the freeway. This guy was loving it as he was blasting his stereo with some good old Deftones and Tool. We got a kick outta that. We have two lanes turning left to an uphill onramp. He was on the inside lane of that turn but rolled on slowly. I didn't accelerate until I straightened up. This time, it felt like it took longer to get by me. As we get onto the freeway, I fell back just to cruise. Enough fun was had in the way of glorious deaths. A few miles down the freeway, we even up and he again gives another thumbsup and signed that my car sounded good.

I know it was a book but, I hope you get a kick.
-Luis
Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 AM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice runs,

I really like what MB does with their cars but they need a manual in the BIG engine version just for fun sake.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Runs !!! Anything with AMG is usually of limits.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
Nice runs, Luis. That would be me if I was riding in an E63, blasting some Tool. That's freaking awesome!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Originally Posted by AJ's Silver CL
Nice Runs !!! Anything with AMG is usually of limits.
I take it you meant to say they are "usually out of limits". In that second run I had with the E63, I just went through first and laid off of the throttle. No chance.

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
Nice runs, Luis. That would be me if I was riding in an E63, blasting some Tool. That's freaking awesome!
Same here. I would be pumped up if I drove that too.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
B8 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice runs man. Musta been a nice adrenaline rush.

btw, I'm pretty sure only the C300 is available w/ a MT
Old 11-30-2007, 09:06 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Originally Posted by scuc
Nice runs man. Musta been a nice adrenaline rush.

btw, I'm pretty sure only the C300 is available w/ a MT
There is a sport and also a luxury model for the C350. See the last two in the list linked below:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/mer...ass/index.html
Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
B8 S4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
There is a sport and also a luxury model for the C350. See the last two in the list linked below:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2007/mer...ass/index.html
Sorry, I was thinking about the '08 models. My bad man.