Scary Braking and jerking while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scary Braking and jerking while driving!

I did a quick search and did not find anything, so I'll ask. When im driving(mostly occurs on the freeway) my cl will suddenly brake, and jerk to the side. It is really a scary problem. Also the caution light will go on during. Does anyone else have this problem, and know what is causing this?? any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I would say your trans is locking up. A hard downshift to 2nd gear is a sympton.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dang that sounds like it... If I dropped to 2nd on the highway I'd be doing 360's... Glad I have control over my gears... LOL automatic CL.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ljmushock
Dang that sounds like it... If I dropped to 2nd on the highway I'd be doing 360's... Glad I have control over my gears... LOL automatic CL.

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask what so "LOL" about that? What if he were to die on the freeway during that shit? Would it be "LOL automatic CL" for you again? Way to be a smartass when something is seriously wrong with the OP's car instead of providing needed advice.

Anyways, you should definitely get that checked out by your closest dealership. Like fuzzy said, it sounds like your transmission is showing signs of going out. Please be careful and you might want to get it towed IMO...
Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
get the trans inspected and see if the 2nd gear oil kit has been installed
Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 PM
¿baCon?

Originally Posted by thevikas87
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to ask what so "LOL" about that? What if he were to die on the freeway during that shit? Would it be "LOL automatic CL" for you again? Way to be a smartass when something is seriously wrong with the OP's car instead of providing needed advice.

Anyways, you should definitely get that checked out by your closest dealership. Like fuzzy said, it sounds like your transmission is showing signs of going out. Please be careful and you might want to get it towed IMO...

vikas, calm your ass down, im sure he meant it as "lol your tranny sucks" which they do. i hardly doubt he meant "lol i hope you have a fiery wreck and die" vikas87, im guessing your 20-21.. try saying more grown up reponses, i know if you jumped on someones back in person with a statement like that, you'd be pickin up your teeth off the ground. - just my advice.
and he shouldnt be driving the damn car if it has problems. - more advice.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Your mom is in

You're guessing I'm 20-21? I'm sure you didn't just look under my avatar and see where it says my age?!! oh no you just must be amazingly intelligent for being 24 and you guessed! you are....24? WOW. congratulations you have indeed survived on this earth four entire years more than me! Oh and just to clarify, I am calm, and I was calm in my entire previous statement, thanks for the warning though, oh wise one. But, I must apologize, simply because I still don't see or understand the "LOL" in this matter. Thank you for your advice, I didn't quite jump on him to end up losing my teeth though...

Please continue with the thread.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 PM
01 Type-S, Sexy Silver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
everyone say bye-bye to the transmission

Get it to the dealer quick before it gets you hurt...
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had my tranny replaced a month or so ago. 01 CLS. I was getting on the freeway at around 60MPH it downshifted to 2nd. Luckely I was only at 60 and not the ussual 78 to 81 mph. I had it towed to the dealer, cause I had read on here that that was a symptom of the tranny about to fail. They replaced it in a few days. Now it drives like a dream.

When you car does this, do you notice the engine RPM's go sky high?

One more thing. Call Acura Client services and find out you "service enrty date" for you car. Also ask if it still covered under the tranny warranty.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
¿baCon?

You're guessing I'm 20-21? I'm sure you didn't just look under my avatar and see where it says my age?!! oh no you just must be amazingly intelligent for being 24 and you guessed! you are....24? WOW. congratulations you have indeed survived on this earth four entire years more than me! Oh and just to clarify, I am calm, and I was calm in my entire previous statement, thanks for the warning though, oh wise one. But, I must apologize, simply because I still don't see or understand the "LOL" in this matter. Thank you for your advice, I didn't quite jump on him to end up losing my teeth though...

Wow your a tough guy online, let me tell ya

LOL LOL... those must be fighting words eh? Oh Indian one.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Your mom is in

Originally Posted by swoleCL
Wow your a tough guy online, let me tell ya

LOL LOL... those must be fighting words eh? Oh Indian one.
Just for the record, are you being racist?

And thanks for the PM, I'll be glad to forward that to a moderator.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Seaknight, yea about the rpm thing they dont shoot skyhigh, they remain the same. But it seems everyone is leaning toward the tranny, so Im gonna get it looked at. Thanks for your input, andf to the others who have helpfull comments.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Advanced

why cant it be that the rotors are warped or he needs new brake pads???
Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Advanced

because im having the same issue and i kno for sure its my rotors that are are warped and have to be replaced. but then again my car is automatic...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Burning Brakes

im psychic... the LOL was directed to you, because I knew you would jump up my ass... Nah dude relax I was just saying lol because I was thinking about what would happen if u dropped ur shit into 2nd gear on the highway... Not trying to make fun of him for having that problem or for having an auto... I just didnt know it was possible to drop 2nd in an auto going that fast... I figured the computer would forbid it.

No reason to be upset, just quit jumping the gun and ppl wont yell at you.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01Cl_Type-S
I did a quick search and did not find anything, so I'll ask. When im driving(mostly occurs on the freeway) my cl will suddenly brake, and jerk to the side. It is really a scary problem. Also the caution light will go on during. Does anyone else have this problem, and know what is causing this?? any help will be appreciated.
ADVICE: If you have not yet figured out the issue yet.. My advice would be to check and see if your brake caliper might be sticking closed on one side, that would def cause your car to brake and pull hard to one side... Its possible, but could be the tranny too. Good luck w/it
Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I have had locked up calipers before and they reacted nothing like what the guy was describing. A.) He would smell it bad. B.) It wouldn't just lock up at highway speeds.

It could be a wheel bearing but it should be making a noise.

It could be the tranny but there should be other symptoms

It could be the ABS system

It could be a bad speed sensor that is causing the VSA to engage, my money goes on this one especially if you just recently were working on your car.

The speed sensor is magnetic and there are high and low grooves on the axle that cause the magnetic signal to pulsate. If something got messed up in this area it can cause the VSA to engage if it isn't reading the ridges on the axle properly.

I think this information is correct, feel free to correct me if something I stated was incorrect.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

the caution light is coming on because the VSA is engaging get that thing inspected asap before you get hurt..........
Old 08-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ljmushock
I just didnt know it was possible to drop 2nd in an auto going that fast... I figured the computer would forbid it.

normally the ecm would lock you out but when the trans fails and codes are thrown related to it, the ecm locks you into limp home mode..........while the CLS engine can handle it, it still sucks because the engine has pretty good braking power in that gear and hence you slow down...........rather fast

if you had a CL base model, and were going 80mph when it happened, you would definately over rev the engine.......but it would undoubtably survive...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
this was somewhat informative besides the 2 fags slapping each other...

would you not feel a vibration or something else in the area of your car where the tranny sits? if its the tranny wouldn't the jerk back be equal to all running parts, a.k.a. no jerk to one side? from my very minimal knowledge sounds like something else like the speed sensor or vsa IMO...still check that out asap! best advice you got...

anyways, i use the SS mode everyday i drive. every gear is smooth when i downshift, but i'd say 50% of the time when i give too much gas, there is a hard shift into 2nd [doesn't happen with any other gears]. now would there be an issue with my tranny or is 2nd a more delicate gear so giving too much gas would cause a jerk?

never thought anything of it til i read all of this...just want quick thoughts, so im posting here, sorry.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai

if you had a CL base model, and were going 80mph when it happened, you would definately over rev the engine.......but it would undoubtably survive...
really? very interesting good to know
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM
¿baCon?

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL

that was cute ... come up with that on your own?

=)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by '01White3.2CL

would you not feel a vibration or something else in the area of your car where the tranny sits? if its the tranny wouldn't the jerk back be equal to all running parts, a.k.a. no jerk to one side? from my very minimal knowledge sounds like something else like the speed sensor or vsa IMO...still check that out asap! best advice you got...

anyways, i use the SS mode everyday i drive. every gear is smooth when i downshift, but i'd say 50% of the time when i give too much gas, there is a hard shift into 2nd [doesn't happen with any other gears]. now would there be an issue with my tranny or is 2nd a more delicate gear so giving too much gas would cause a jerk?

never thought anything of it til i read all of this...just want quick thoughts, so im posting here, sorry.
i thought i read somewhere that running ss mode all the time is a big no no for the cl....you should do a search on that..
Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by 01Cl_Type-S

what is the speed when it does that?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisbrito09876
why cant it be that the rotors are warped or he needs new brake pads???
Because warped rotors don't just activate at highway speeds. Alls the warped rotors are going to do is vibrate the car when they are activated.

On another note, if his RPMs are not going up I would not think it was his tranny. Man, I can't think of anything else except you braking system having enough of an influence on the care to have it just decell like that. It would have to be the tranny downshifting or a serious problem with the braking system. Don't kno wwhy the brakes would just activate though, never head of it.

Good luck man.